IGNORED

How to tell if a 2600 game is truly sealed?

knightrider_82

Hello all, I was wondering if there was any way to truly tell if a game is sealed. (like Nintendo stuff---Hseam) I figured maybe not since back then retailers could have done anything and from the mfg, maybe they did things different... anyway I would love any feedback you might have. I will try to post some picts. If you need any other picts I will take them and try to post

newatari001.jpg

^^^^here they all are.

newatari003.jpg

^^^different angle

newatari005.jpg

^^^ this is the one that concerns me.... the writing is under the wrap.

newatari006.jpg

^^^top view...

Again thanks for all your help. If i put this in the wrong place, I apologize.

Sealing a game like this is very easy.

1)Game is put into a plastic sleeve, end is sealed with a hot wire.

2)Use a heat gun to shrink the plastic sleeve. (This is how the plastic gets so tight)

3)Profit!.

These are clearly fakes. (Worn corners, writing under the seal).

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies! I can take more individual picts if you need. does anyone have any sealed games like these, or some Tigervision games? Just wondering if I can compare? I understand that people do 'reseal' things and have seen that done, just not totally sure about these. I just really want to be sure before I open them. Im not really wanting to do that. Was there a standard when shrink wrapping these, like with Nintendo? like all 4 sides were supposed to have a seal or something of that nature.. Thanks again!!

That's why the whole 'sealed' game business is madness to me. Getting CIB games is one thing, that's fine, but sealed games? It's too easy to fake, even for games that were harder to do so like with NES and PS1. I've seen too many copies of 'new unopened' FF7 used to rip people off online.

That's why the whole 'sealed' game business is madness to me. Getting CIB games is one thing, that's fine, but sealed games? It's too easy to fake, even for games that were harder to do so like with NES and PS1. I've seen too many copies of 'new unopened' FF7 used to rip people off online.

I agree it is crazy. I recently picked these up knowing that they were good titles and thinking they were sealed but it appears not to be the case. the ones that truly look real to me are the Double Dragon, Halloween, and maybe the pitfall II. Some of the Tigervision games do have tape on top and bottom (under the seal) I maybe will be listing some of these games in the future and will most likely open them to verify the contents. Ill take picts to document it as well. It just kills me to open them, so we will see.

Where did all these games come from?

I will let you all know in the near future.

Sealing a game like this is very easy.

1)Game is put into a plastic sleeve, end is sealed with a hot wire.

2)Use a heat gun to shrink the plastic sleeve. (This is how the plastic gets so tight)

3)Profit!.

These are clearly fakes. (Worn corners, writing under the seal).

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2906968722961?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290696872296&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

^^^^^^^^^^^What about this game????? check out the corners on it. What do you think? Also not truly sealed?

I guess thats what Atari collectors have to go with....there gut feeling and past experience on what they have seen in the past. The past owner of these games must have wanted to protect them while on his shelves. Is there any list out there that shows what games were sealed with wrap, and ones that were sealed by the cardboard? It just seems to me that there is not enough info on this subject to compile a truly 'sealed' game. Again, thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate it.

So if the Tigervision have the hanging tab inside a seal, how would a shop hang them? Surely they'l be like the Atari sealed games, hanging tap glued onto the seal.

That's the estate sale they're going on about in 'Collection' forum

WTF? They were not sealed, they were hung up by the tabs built into the box. Do you not have one single Tigervision box like that? :?

Wow, I have one Tigervision game with a tap, and 5 without any tap at all, none of them are sealed though (I don't care about sealed games anyway, seeing many VCS games weren't sealed to start off with).

Don't drink it! It's poison!

Wow, I have one Tigervision game with a tap, and 5 without any tap at all, none of them are sealed though (I don't care about sealed games anyway, seeing many VCS games weren't sealed to start off with).

Don't drink it! It's poison!

Hehe I see what I've done there. Glad this is the net

Edited by high voltage

Collectors should stop worrying about "sealed" and start treating them like coin or card enthusiast do. Find ways to preserve them instead of worrying about the originality of the shrink wrap.

Game collecting could borrow alot of good examples from coins and cards. Preservation, grading, etc. And when I say grading I'm not talking about sticking games in sealed slabs. I'm talking about a consistent way to describe their condition. The 1-10 rarity scale seems to be generally accepted. What about a 1-10 condition scale? R=7 C=8 is more descriptive than R=7 alone. Sure people would disagree on whether specific games are C8 or C7 but the common language would be useful. Atari2600 . com uses a scale like that.

A lot of Atari games came unsealed to the stores or shop. Most hung them some used a case like they did for 8 track tapes. Most games where behind a counter in a case so you had to ask for them.

But what about the ones that where sealed. easy most where done at the stores just like they did records and some 8 tracks. I only seen a few games when mine were new that where sealed all others where not.