IGNORED

Insane Atari Estate sale

what's crazy is. I was over my friends house yesterday and he is parting with his whole collection. and his wife said if he would ever happen to pass she would just sell everything at $2.00 bucks a pop??? she doesn't care about any of it. I would say his collection is worth between $35,000 to $45,000.

Look at it this way, if he should pass then GOOD if she sells it off for cheap, you cannot make someone interested in certain things, we appreciate them and understand the value, if she could care less and does not realize the value or possibly is bothered or annoyed by his "childish hobby" (likely how she sees it) then she should gain very little from it, her ignorant loss is other peoples gain, let her sell it off for a low amount to clear out all that junk and toys so that they might end up in the possession of people who appreciate and get enjoyment out of it.

what's crazy is. I was over my friends house yesterday and he is parting with his whole collection. and his wife said if he would ever happen to pass she would just sell everything at $2.00 bucks a pop??? she doesn't care about any of it. I would say his collection is worth between $35,000 to $45,000.

Look at it this way, if he should pass then GOOD if she sells it off for cheap, you cannot make someone interested in certain things, we appreciate them and understand the value, if she could care less and does not realize the value or possibly is bothered or annoyed by his "childish hobby" (likely how she sees it) then she should gain very little from it, her ignorant loss is other peoples gain, let her sell it off for a low amount to clear out all that junk and toys so that they might end up in the possession of people who appreciate and get enjoyment out of it.

oops i guess i left this out.. He has 3 little children 7,5 & 2. more or less the money to go towards their needs. but don't get me wrong a Bounty Bob Strikes Back complete for the 5200 for $2.00 would be a nice pick up too :grin: or all his sealed NES games too!!!!

Edited by atarinut76

oops i guess i left this out.. He has 3 little children 7,5 & 2. more or less the money to go towards their needs. but don't get me wrong a Bounty Bob Strikes Back complete for the 5200 for $2.00 would be a nice pick up too :grin: or all his sealed NES games too!!!!

Well that is too bad but again if she refuses to take the collection seriously then it is their loss.

My wife is the same way, I had a long talk with my 14 year old and told her she had to do some work, but to take nothing less than 15k if they were to sell it.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I didn't respond, because A) I wasn't done at the sale, and B) People were already stalking and harassing the family. Apparently the one video I posted, plus people looking up my IP was enough for the family to get contacted.

Last I heard, a local Atari Collector paid $8k for all his stuff that remained. Don't know how true that is. I've been unable to get ahold of the son any more; its been 2 months, and I heard through the grapevine that the basement is totally cleared out.

Knowing my location, and the location of the sale won't really help unless he traded. I did note that one box he had said "AtariAge" on it, as if it were a box he were keeping for trade? It was near SLC, so if anyone traded with a forum member from SLC, let me know.

Hello, please visit this thread that you started and read our comments/questions about trying to determine where this estate sale was. We're trying to figure out, if at all possible, who this collector was who passed away, since they were likely a member here. Please help us out with that info. I'm PM'ing you because you may not be subscribed to that thread, so may not be seeing those questions. Thanks for any help you can give.

:roll:

You went from heartfelt plea to condesending ass quickly.

Hello, please visit this thread that you started and read our comments/questions about trying to determine where this estate sale was. We're trying to figure out, if at all possible, who this collector was who passed away, since they were likely a member here. Please help us out with that info. I'm PM'ing you because you may not be subscribed to that thread, so may not be seeing those questions. Thanks for any help you can give.

:roll:

You went from heartfelt plea to condesending ass quickly.

Look what it was met with.

Look what it was met with.

You asked for info, I gave it. I'd rather not share the other stuff I have, and have people harass his family. Thus far, from what I've seen, that is a likely possibility.

He was 81, and he passed due to cancer, homerwannabee.

DeusExMachina - I can share the name with you, since it sounds like you've met him.

Edited by DarkKobold

If it's all gone now, why would they harass him at this point? I'm shocked that anyone did any harassing to begin with, that's totally uncalled for. If he was a member here, it certainly would be relevant and helpful to share that info at this point.

Honestly, I think your #1 point was the main reason for your silence, which is exactly what I suspected to begin with.

Either way, thanks for coming back and sharing a little bit now that you're done getting what you want.

DK gave me the first name of this gentleman and it jogged my memory. I looked up a few things online and I can now confirm that I was in the same room as this collection in the 1990s. A friend and fellow Atari collector introduced me to him in SLC years ago. He had a great collection and someone got a few nice rates that are not shown in the video. I do not know if he was on atariage. I only know his real name.

DK gave me the first name of this gentleman and it jogged my memory. I looked up a few things online and I can now confirm that I was in the same room as this collection in the 1990s. A friend and fellow Atari collector introduced me to him in SLC years ago. He had a great collection and someone got a few nice rates that are not shown in the video. I do not know if he was on atariage. I only know his real name.

Fair enough, thanks for your input.

Its cases like this that make me sad on forums. ive seen it on different systems forums, also vintage BMX forums etc. anywhere where middle age men with cash like to get one over on people or make a quick buck. decency goes out the window and people seem to be willing to do anything to get what they want. very sad and RIP the guy who passed, thoughts to his family being as in 2 pages no one has even said it yet (apart from Deus maybe, who has contact with the guy). shame.

a good case also for indexing, even briefly, your collection, its worth or at least some clue for your family so they at least get fair prices for things if they do sell up when youre gone