IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Wanted Flyer

Zach

I thought someone contacted him and he said no. I think it was in the thread about the ad being found.

Steve believed it was still his property and would not give his blessing on doing a run of Repros. Not much he can do now 29 years later.

Currently in the United States the term for software copyright is the life of the author plus 70 years. He can file suit against anyone who infringes on his copyright. Given the auction values that might be realized on these games, he would likely recover substantial damages.

I thought someone contacted him and he said no. I think it was in the thread about the ad being found.

Steve believed it was still his property and would not give his blessing on doing a run of Repros. Not much he can do now 29 years later.

The code is still his property, but if somebody was in position to make repros they could offer him a royalty.

Edited by gdement

The code is still his property, but if somebody was in position to make repros they could offer him a royalty.

He wasn't motivated by a couple thousand to go look to see how many more he may have in storage. He was absolutely against reproing, do you think a few bucks per cart would change his mind?

He wasn't motivated by a couple thousand to go look to see how many more he may have in storage. He was absolutely against reproing, do you think a few bucks per cart would change his mind?

It's been a long time since I read that thread, but from what I remember it sounded to me like he took offense when he perceived that people wanted to start copying his game. It sounded to me like a respect for copyright issue. But it's a distant memory and I don't feel like digging up the thread.I've never met the guy, I have no idea if a royalty would change his mind. But it would be an appropriate way to open the conversation.

Best-case scenario: RSC sells at auction for (say) $25K and Stack decides to look in the attic. He has 50 or so, so he dribbles them out for a few years at $1000/pop. Then he makes ANOTHER run of 100, only he uses exactly the same labels (he has a few hundred sitting around)... and suddenly we can't tell the difference between the originals (found in the wild), the NOS (from the attic) and the new (made yesterday). Unless, perhaps, we mangle the label to open up and check if the EPROMS are new/old. I'm running out of popcorn, but it's been fun to watch so far. I wonder if Stack would reconsider looking if contacted by an atheist who claims to have a message from god that he should, like, get the word out by finding those carts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 8/22/2012 at 7:21 PM, jlanier said:

I had one of these scholarships, they were real and did exist. Unfortunately they didn't pay out as a lump sum; you had to prove you were still enrolled every semester or every other semester (can't remember which) to get a check mailed to you. The problem is that Coleco went bankrupt in 1988, before honoring the entire scholarship; once they filed for bankruptcy they stopped honoring the scholarships. :mad: Ultimately I got less than half of the promised $500.

I know this is a very old response, however, I will add my experience.  I too received their scholarship.  I think I received $125, total.  It was after or during the bankruptcy because I think they contacted me.  I can't remember if I had to surrender the certificate they sent me for registering for the scholarship, or if I threw it away, but I was still in HS when they paid out.  I think that was part of the bankruptcy settlement was to give those who registered for the scholarships some money to buy them off (is my guess).  I am guessing they did not send you any more after the bankruptcy was because you had already collected some.

I see below you mention that when you went to college you were given or had to get a PC, pretty much the same for me.  Unfortunately, I had to pack my Adam up because I only had room for one computer on my desk and have not had room to set it back up since.