IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Wanted Flyer

Zach

I just love the way people are so defencive if a slight bit of doubt is placed on good ol Travis and can't wait to jump down nagn2's throat as soon as he even things about posting here.

The love Travis, hate nagn2 theme is hilarious.

People are going beyond a slight bit of doubt. A slight bit of doubt would be wanting to see more evidence. Extreme doubt is coming to the conclusion that if Travis doesn't provide evidence to prove that it is impossible to be a fake within days then it must be some scam, hoax, conspiracy... That makes absolutely no sense to me. In nagn2's auction thread people were still recommending that he does more to show that is authentic before Travis even showed up and he has had 5 years to do so. 5 years equals real and days equal fake? I believe they are both real but if anything it would be nagn2's that would be the suspicious one. It was nagn2's cart that produced the conspiracy theorists. Travis's first post has a picture with the address where it is. Propane13 went there. He came back with a story and pictures that don't seem suspicious at all. Then Travis's second post has a video of it. Travis has yet to do anything to indicate that he is hiding something. nagn2, Propane13, and Travis are not part of a conspiracy.

Cool, I miss Jameco. I'd forgotten about those mailers. We used to buy Adam stuff from them when everyone else stopped selling it. Thanks for the cool post.

Off topic, but since you brought up Adam, there is a commercial I have on VHS (unfortunately it's not on YouTube or I'd link it) about a $500 scholarship if an Adam home computer was purchased during a certain time frame in 1984. I'm a bit fascinated by that. I wonder if those scholarships were actually honored. Does anyone know anything about that?

I just went to Travis' facebook page and watched the video...I happened to notice something everyone else seems to have missed:

post-29022-0-79436800-1345609666_thumb.jpg

You can all have Red Sea Crossing, but I am calling dibbs on the "redneck" belt buckle and the Teddy Ruxpin shoelace grippers to boot!!! :grin:

I think those are Smokey the Bear. :P

And if you think CPUWIZ or I are being serious in our tinfoil hat nutjobbery.....then, well, I don't know, we're just messing with you guys. :D

At first, I thought you were just pooping in my Cheerios, but I figured you out Cebus...just remember, I called dibbs!!! None of your diversion tactics will get those Ruxpin lace holders away from me!!!

I'm keeping my eyes on you Cebus...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2707689572421?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270768957242&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

:D

• Like 1

I believe that I was the culprit that stated that if Travis didn't post a vid in the next day or so they it was probably fake. Its strange but whenever someone comes along with something rare they always seem to be in a position to provide pictures, or videos or whatever is needed to prove their item is legit (within reason) in a day or so. If they don't do it in that time (and they start with the "i dont have a camera" or "i dont have a system" excuses), then more often then not, they are just scammers. I think it helps that people send them crazy offers via pm (whether serious or not) and it gives them a real incentive to provide the proof and provide it quickly.

Well, Nagn, this find certainly generated a some silly looking crow eaters (serves them right)

Dude, just stop man, you have proven your point and we get the message you are sending

Nagn2 = good

Us = bad

Yes, you were right, Red Sea Crossing is real...but heres something you need to remember. Our doubting it's authenticity was only to protect members of our community. We were not claiming it fake to be an asshole to nagn2, we were making sure none of OUR members get scammed and burned. We are talking several thousand dollars here and need I remind you of a little Guardian label variation you swore was legit but was later proven fake due to members (myself included) saying it was not authentic... Nagn2 was sketchy from the get go, you can say all you want that he wasn't and find little technicalities, compare it to Charlie Brown, blah blah but in the end it was not normal behavior and did cause some (well deserved) doubt. Again, our skeptism is to protect us, as shown in this very topic it would not be hard to replicate cartridges like this and pass them off as real. It would not be easy to pull off a scam of this scale but when you are talking somebody we know potentially losing thousands of dollars It's our job to protect each other. I don't think you get that...

Overall I hope your happy Rom, nagn2 will be gone with the wind when his cart has sold, me and you will be in the atari scene forever and my opinion of you has permenantly changed... :thumbsdown:

Why would that matter? Wouldn't that at least establish some kind of price for the second one? With that reasoning why would anybody buy the first knowing the second one would sell for less?

Well, I have seen a few explanations posted but they might be hard to understand if you are not a collector yourself with all the talk of "dumping rom's/etc" so I'll break it down for you...

As an active member in the Atari 2600 community, I can tell you it's kind of a dream for me (and many others) to find an unreleased game. Something that nobody has EVER played. It happens more often then you would think so it is something possible. Now, even though I am a serious Atari collector, I have NO interest in permenantly owning Red Sea Crossing. I just don't like owning carts worth that much, I have had some rather expensive games and I just don't like having that kind of stuff in my collection. I worry about them breaking (happened to a $300 NTSC Assault cart I owned, just stopped working) I keep them in a safe due to the high value so I can't properly display them and they are the first thing to go if I need money, long story short, I no longer buy super rare expensive games for my collection...

Now, why would I want Red Sea Crossing if I have no interest in putting the game in my collection. Simple, I could be the guy that brought Red Sea Crossing to the community. In my fantasy (which is possible since I have a little cash right now....) I would purchase the cart, contact WIZ and Shyone and produce 100 limited boxed reproductions made to be sold to the atari community. After all the games were sold I would release the ROM to the community and then I would sell the cartridge to a collector who would love it in there collection. I could never appreciate it in my collection properly as explained above..

So, I know damn well the odds of me turning a profit after selling the repro's and the original cart (after the ROM is made available to play via emulation) would be questionable, I could possibly lose money but I would still have fufilled that dream of releasing an unknown game to the community and if I made a few bucks on it, that would be even better. I would be perfectly happy with just breaking even :) I could finally be one of those guys that has a cool game to sell that everyone wants, it would be kind of a bragging rights thing I guess..I don't know, what can I say, it's just one of those day dreams of doing something cool for the Atari community and getting some good reputation here on the forums. As I get older I don't really hang out with people as much as I used to and you can call it sad if you want but I think of these guys here on the forums as my "friends" and you always want to do something cool for your friends right? Well, making repro's of Red Sea Crossing for everyone would be pretty F'n cool!

With that being said, whoever buys the first one is going to do just what I explained. They might keep the original cart when it's all said and done but rest assured, they will be making reproductions of it to recoup some of the original expenses. The second one available for sale will be of zero interest to me (and others interested in doing what I explained) because of that. People will still be interested in it, and it will still sell for a good chunk of change due to it's rarity but take away the extra revinue you would get from making reproductions and the price of the original drops signifigantly...

Hope that helps, and yeah, even though I'm not crazy about the way you have handled this entire thing and generally want you to make as little money as possible (truthfully I have kind of lost interest in even buying a repro due to all the negativity this silly game has generated) but in the end we just want to save this game because your cart and Travis' will die eventually, they are likely poorly constructed as many small run carts are and if they stop working the game may be gone forever if the ROM has not been preserved/etc..

So as stated, first one to sell gets the big bucks. Not trying to force it out of you, just being honest...

• Like 3

in the end we just want to save this game because your cart and Travis' will die eventually, they are likely poorly constructed as many small run carts are and if they stop working the game may be gone forever if the ROM has not been preserved/etc..

nagn2 this is pretty much exactly what I wrote to you personally about a while back.

I offered you some friendly advice, and didn't try to get the game off you. Just asked you to look after it.

Instead of a reply, you totally ignored me. Until, of course, you started spruiking your auction.

Now I think you should just do a youtube video of you smashing the cart with a hammer. That would be classic.

• Like 2

Well, Nagn, this find certainly generated a some silly looking crow eaters (serves them right)

Dude, just stop man, you have proven your point and we get the message you are sending

Nagn2 = good

Us = bad

Yes, you were right, Red Sea Crossing is real...but heres something you need to remember. Our doubting it's authenticity was only to protect members of our community. We were not claiming it fake to be an asshole to nagn2, we were making sure none of OUR members get scammed and burned. We are talking several thousand dollars here and need I remind you of a little Guardian label variation you swore was legit but was later proven fake due to members (myself included) saying it was not authentic... Nagn2 was sketchy from the get go, you can say all you want that he wasn't and find little technicalities, compare it to Charlie Brown, blah blah but in the end it was not normal behavior and did cause some (well deserved) doubt. Again, our skeptism is to protect us, as shown in this very topic it would not be hard to replicate cartridges like this and pass them off as real. It would not be easy to pull off a scam of this scale but when you are talking somebody we know potentially losing thousands of dollars It's our job to protect each other. I don't think you get that...

Overall I hope your happy Rom, nagn2 will be gone with the wind when his cart has sold, me and you will be in the atari scene forever and my opinion of you has permenantly changed... :thumbsdown:

I'm sorry to hear that, Climber, because my opinion about you hasn't.

All I'm saying is that Nagn does not deserve to be called a prick, cocksucker and asshole because he wasn't willing to convince the non-believers, that's all.

Also, IMO he wasn't 'sketchy' from the get go at all.

He provided us with clear information from to get go and got 'sketchy' after being offended.

That's just the way I look at it.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

All I'm saying is that Nagn does not deserve to be called a prick, cocksucker and asshole because he wasn't willing to convince the non-believers.

Who really did that besides Shawn? And we all know thats just how Shawn is, you would think he's from New York but Canada of all places?

Aren't those complements coming from Shawn :evil: just sayin' :rolling: *Shawn... I'm only kidding cuz you my buddy* ...but really complements.

Off topic, but since you brought up Adam, there is a commercial I have on VHS (unfortunately it's not on YouTube or I'd link it) about a $500 scholarship if an Adam home computer was purchased during a certain time frame in 1984. I'm a bit fascinated by that. I wonder if those scholarships were actually honored. Does anyone know anything about that?

I had one of these scholarships, they were real and did exist. Unfortunately they didn't pay out as a lump sum; you had to prove you were still enrolled every semester or every other semester (can't remember which) to get a check mailed to you. The problem is that Coleco went bankrupt in 1988, before honoring the entire scholarship; once they filed for bankruptcy they stopped honoring the scholarships. :mad: Ultimately I got less than half of the promised $500.

• Like 2

I had one of these scholarships, they were real and did exist. Unfortunately they didn't pay out as a lump sum; you had to prove you were still enrolled every semester or every other semester (can't remember which) to get a check mailed to you. The problem is that Coleco went bankrupt in 1988, before honoring the entire scholarship; once they filed for bankruptcy they stopped honoring the scholarships. :mad: Ultimately I got less than half of the promised $500.

Thanks for the info! That is interesting to know that some students did get something from it if they started college within 4 years of the promotion I guess those who had a young kid who was 5+ years from college were S.O.L. Do you recall how much Adam computers were? I was wondering how the price of the computer compared to the scholarship amount.

Thanks for the info! That is interesting to know that some students did get something from it if they started college within 4 years of the promotion I guess those who had a young kid who was 5+ years from college were S.O.L. Do you recall how much Adam computers were? I was wondering how the price of the computer compared to the scholarship amount.

I don't know how much the Adam was, but buyers of Expansion Module #3 were also eligible, which is how I got the scholarship. If I recall, it was just over $500... Hmm, a quick search on the web turns up a Ward's catalog from 1984 at http://www.wishbookweb.com/, page #521:

1984.xx.xx%20Montgomery%20Ward%20Christmas%20Catalog%20P521.jpg

So apparently the Adam was $650 and the Adam Expansion Module #3 was $530. At that price it almost paid for itself, if only they had paid out the full scholarship. Note that they even mention the scholarship in the catalog! They also mention the payment terms; apparently it was 4 checks of $125 each. I think I got $250 since by 1988 I was in my 3rd year.

• Like 2

Wow, excellent find! Thanks! It says the kid had to be 15 or under so, I guess, no one was able to get the full $500 scholarship. I have that commercial on an '80s only mp3 player ('80s music and '80s commercials) which I play on shuffle a lot, so I hear that commercial often. It's nice to know the scholarship was real--at least for a while. So, did the Adam help prepare you for college like the commercial said?

Wow, excellent find! Thanks! It says the kid had to be 15 or under so, I guess, no one was able to get the full $500 scholarship. I have that commercial on an '80s only mp3 player ('80s music and '80s commercials) which I play on shuffle a lot, so I hear that commercial often. It's nice to know the scholarship was real--at least for a while. So, did the Adam help prepare you for college like the commercial said?

Not really so much; by the time I started college I needed an 80286 PC minimum to take courses in computer science, and my engineering software really needed an 80386, which was fairly new at the time. Computer tech advanced much more rapidly back then when Moore's law was steeper; the difference between a 1984 PC and a 1987 PC was huge. Whereas I would consider the Adam superior in many ways (including performance) to a stock IBM PC, it could not touch a 386AT setup, there was probably more than an order of magnitude difference in speed, not to mention memory size. The Adam was still a great computer, just not very practical for an engineering student. I still have it somewhere in a box, I really ought to pull it out again and get it working...

• Like 1