IGNORED

Alternate Prototypes

Foxsolo2000

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I stumbled across the alternate prototype to Chainsaw Masacre the other day and it got me thinking. Were there other games that had alternate prototypes that were different to the actual finished product? I know of four :-

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  2. Snow White (was the 2nd ones rom ever released?)
  3. Sabotuer (became A-Team and still not released)
  4. Dukes of Hazard

Were there any more that exist or are known to exist? ;)

On the NES:

There's a prototype of Superman from Sunsoft that is a very different game than Superman from Kemco (it ended up becoming Sunman, also unreleased).

There was a version of Fun House announced and nearly released that is a different game than the one that came out.

There's also a possibility that the version of Nightmare on Elm Street is a different game than the one initially announced.

I also know from my own research (don't think this is online anywhere, yet) that a Die Hard game was announced several years before the one that actually came out, I believe it was going to be an NES version of the C64 game.

The differences are pretty obvious... from what I can remember, Pengo has different (simpler) maze structures than the released version, and Millipede was made by a different company than the released version. I can't remember the exact differences, but there are probably different graphics, differents sounds and slightliy different gameplay logic. Oh, and a different title picture of course.

In what way are they different to the finished product and are the roms available? ;)

Batman for the NES has a prototype that's a eariler version of the game. In it, there's a cutescene at the end with Batman facing off aganist Joker, you don't fight him as the final boss like you do in the released version.

Ninja Gaiden 2 for the NES has a 'demo' protoype version with just a few stages. It was used during the Nintendo World Cup Tour.

Astyanax for the NES also has a prototype version floating around, but I've played it and don't see any differences between it and the final version.

Different to what degree?  There are many prototypes that differ from their release versions.  Sometimes, these differences are invisible to the player...other times, not.

If you are referring to ones that appear to be completely different games (as opposed to earlier builds of the same program), you can add Rubik's Cube to the list.

Edited by Nukey Shay

Different to what degree? There are many prototypes that differ from their release versions. Sometimes, these differences are invisible to the player...other times, not.

If you are referring to ones that appear to be completely different games (as opposed to earlier builds of the same program), you can add Rubik's Cube to the list.

That is exactly what I am referring to. Any prototype that was completely different to the finished product or like the Dukes of Hazard, 2 completely different prototypes that were still not released ;)