IGNORED

"Got the humanoid, got the chicken."

boxpressed

I just came to the conclusion that 5200 Berzerk is worth owning this system for. It is really tough -- sometimes I can't break 2,000! The speech really makes this version special -- I do freak out a little bit knowing that Otto could be coming from any direction. The pause just makes it more suspenseful. If you've got Berzerk, break it out along with a digital joystick if you have one.

• Like 1

I played a little of 2600 Berzerk -- just the default game with "B" difficulty -- and it felt as though I could play for an hour if I wanted to (I know I probably couldn't). I'm not kidding you -- I'm a pretty decent twitch player, and some games of 5200 Berzerk last only a couple of minutes. I've only played a few dozen times, but still. It's still very fair and very risk-rewardy.

Edited by boxpressed
  • Like 1

I played a little of 2600 Berzerk -- just the default game with "B" difficulty -- and it felt as though I could play for an hour if I wanted to (I know I probably couldn't). I'm not kidding you -- I'm a pretty decent twitch player, and some games of 5200 Berzerk last only a couple of minutes. I've only played a few dozen times, but still. It's still very fair and very risk-rewardy.

yep, one of the 5200 gems

The default 2600 game doesn't have Evil Otto. That together with the robots never firing diagonally and never occupying the same space horizontally makes the 2600 version relatively easy to master. Still fun, but quite not the melee that the arcade and 5200 versions can be.

That's the problem.. you played the default. The ONLY way to play 2600 Berzerk is game variation 3, 6, or 9. :)

But as said, 2600 Berzerk the robots cannot shoot diagonally.. so it's easy to use to your advantage. Also, Evil Otto is slow running upwards so you can just keep running to the up exit and it makes it a lot easier. Still a great translation though.. I played it a ton as a kid. But yes it does not hold a candle to the true-to-life arcade difficulty of the 5200 version.

Why the 2600 version seemed so easy makes sense now!

My high score on 5200 Berzerk is still only 4380. It's pretty nerve wracking materializing at the start of a level. You have about a half second to react to the placement of the robots before one fires at you -- often at close range. There's a lot more running and less shooting in 5200 Berzerk. I figured out that the good mazes give you access to the middle of the screen. If you're in the middle, you can outrun Otto. If you're close to the edge without an exit, you're in big trouble.

I recently experienced 5200 Berzerk because of the high score club. I agree that it's a well done game, and the voices are great, the pause does not detract from the game at all.

But I was playing on an Xbox controller. Not sure how it would work with the stock controllers.

If you guys like Berzerk on 5200 you should really check out Frenzy on ColecoVision. There aren't any voices, but these are replaced with an excellent soundtrack. There is also the Frantic homebrew (unfinished) which takes the game concept to the next level. They are both very worth sequels.

I recently experienced 5200 Berzerk because of the high score club. I agree that it's a well done game, and the voices are great, the pause does not detract from the game at all.

But I was playing on an Xbox controller. Not sure how it would work with the stock controllers.

If you guys like Berzerk on 5200 you should really check out Frenzy on ColecoVision. There aren't any voices, but these are replaced with an excellent soundtrack. There is also the Frantic homebrew (unfinished) which takes the game concept to the next level. They are both very worth sequels.

Frantic is amazing,

can't believe it's the 2600

videogamecritic likes it

http://videogamecrit...0ae.htm#Berzerk

I should get a 5200 one of these days...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's difficult. It got a B+ from VGC, who said control suffered with the analog controller. I wonder what it would get with a digital controller. A+ game in my book.

He is pretty tough on hard games so B+ coming from him is pretty damn good :)

Frantic is amazing,

Haven't played it on the 2600. I was talking about the ColecoVision homebrew.

Frantic is amazing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxdl2T8nlQ

Frantic is amazing,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRxdl2T8nlQ

Yeah, looks good.

Here is the ColecoVision homebrew I was talking about:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/123932-for-the-colecovision-frantic/

You can download the rom on that thread.

You can also find the ColecoVision Frenzy rom just about anywhere since it was a commercial release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Connected my 5200 last night and played a few games of Berzerk. I'm lucky enough to have a Redemption, and scored 7990 on my second game in over a year. My 9-year-old niece started out by heaping scorn on the cheap-looking graphics, but a few minutes of watching me play won her over and she wanted to try it herself. Her mom came by and she had to leave, however.

Before this I'd played one game of Millipede, and got nearly 330,000. Now I know why the 7800 sticks are called "pain lines".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5200 Berzerk is fun to play, but so much harder then the 2600 version. I get about 2000 on the 5200 version and am out of lives. 2600 I get a lot higher then that. I know everyone says evil otto is part of the game, but I wish there was a way to turn him off in the 5200 like the 2600 so I could play and get used to the difficulty and then add that smiley ball off death coming at me.