IGNORED

Interest Check: Atari 800 with CTIA

boxpressed

In another thread, I asked about what to do with an Atari 800 with a CTIA: http://www.atariage....-ctia-what-now/

I'd like to sell this to someone who wants an 800 with a CTIA, knowing what that means. However, I'm not sure of the value. So, I'm hoping to gauge interest in it while also getting a ballpark figure for its value.

The unit is in nice shape, with some dirt in the "grain" of its case, but nothing that can't be scrubbed out. No cracks or other defects. The unit came with an unidentified memory card in the slot closest to the rear. The other three slots are taken up by one 10K ROM and two 16K RAM cards.

Everything seems to work as it should. I have a SALT 2.05 if anyone wants me to check anything.

Thanks for your interest.

post-30018-0-13020700-1337804529_thumb.jpg

post-30018-0-57686300-1337804554_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The unit is almost worthless without a GTIA chip.

A GTIA would have to be installed before the unit could be used/useful for just about any purpose.

This would involve buying a GTIA chip from BEST then completely ripping the 800 apart, installing the chip and reassembling.

I am one of the few people that would be willing to go through all this for an 800.

I will offer you $25 + (Ground Shipping) right now for it.---- Provided that you can post a picture of the unit working...

Thank you!

Topaz777

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll try my luck on eBay. I assume that whomever buys this will want it FOR the CTIA, not for everything but the CTIA. This unit wouldn't be someone's everyday 800 -- it's just a curiosity and something for the 8-bit completist.

Would this be one of the machines with the "early male" keyboard connector, that B&C talks about in their 800 keyboard listings, on Ebay?

800kboc.jpg

I had a problem back in 81 with the keyboard and they did not have that keyboard so they replaced mother board and new keyboard . I was a couple weeks from

being out of warrenty .

Rybags,

Sorry to correct you, but you obviously do not understand the differences between the CTIA and the GTIA.

The CTIA cannot generate any of the 160*192 GTIA modes and has different artifacting qualities.

The CTIA was only released during introduction for just 1 year and then replaced; it was as a stopgap because the GTIA was always what the unit was meant to have.

This CTIA has GROSS implications for compatability... it WILL affect NO LESS than 97%-98% of all games and certainly no less than 99.5% of ALL DEMOS....AND NO LESS than 75-80% of ALL OTHER Software.

PERIOD..DOT...

Want Proof.?..... SIMPLE... if the machine has a CTIA... IT most likely also has the 800 OS v A !!!

GO ahead and try ruining ANY,, and I mean ANYTHING with ATARI800WIN PLUS with the OS set to 800 OS ver A and CTIA and watch what happens...

Does it have 800 OS B??.. Fine same thing try it ....

Been watching EBAY for Atari stuff since Ebay it was invented...

Name me one 800 that sold based on the fact it was equipped with a CTIA...

........that’s what I thought......

CTIA 800s are NOT collectable, and never were…..

Topaz

OS is an entire different matter. In any case, OS-A has some bugs the others doesn't but the overall compatabililty is high.

Games that use illegal OS calls will usually not work on any other major OS revision, e.g. if only works on OS-A then it might fail on both OS-B and XL OS.

Artifacting is a cosmetic issue and doesn't affect compatability.

There are no 160x GTIA modes, they're all 80 pixel modes and as I said before only a single digit percentage of games use them. And in many of those cases it's cosmetic as well. e.g. Elektraglide.

Artifacting is more than a cosmetic issue it’s used to create colors in hi rez mode.

The CTIA has a different AF colors due to the pixel shift and sometimes it causes objects to be invisible or partially invisible.

Go ahead a try to play DROL on a CTIA, and then tell me it doesn’t mater.

Yea-Yea, bash on a typo, whatever, 80x192 GTIA modes..... But don’t forget about the VERY important Graphics 7 1/2,,,,, that is 160*192 the CTIA has an issue with...

See what I mean......

Can’t wait for this to go up on EBay.... Don’t forget to explain all about the CTIA on eBay....

ignorance my ass....

The more I think about this, the more I'm afraid the CTIA is much less a first-generation graphics chip and more some kind of cursed relic that I should get rid of at any cost. Maybe I could pay Topaz to take this off my hands. What's the going rate for an exorcism? I would, of course, provide proof that it is in working order first. I wouldn't want him to lose my money on the deal.

The more I think about this, the more I'm afraid the CTIA is much less a first-generation graphics chip and more some kind of cursed relic that I should get rid of at any cost. Maybe I could pay Topaz to take this off my hands. What's the going rate for an exorcism? I would, of course, provide proof that it is in working order first. I wouldn't want him to lose my money on the deal.

Who knows, maybe your high bidder will be CAPTAIN HOWDY!

600full-the-exorcist-photo.jpg

It's not a "curse", forget all the misinformation.

CTIA has no issues with the 160 x 192 mode (aka Graphics 15 or 7+ or 7 1/2) - it's an Antic mode in any case.

If it was local to me, I'd be all over it. A worthwhile purchase of an early build machine.

I think we can all agree that a GITA equipped machine is a more capable machine than one with a CITA. However that doesn't mean that a CITA machine is worth less money, quite the opposite in fact. Remember, people collect rare and early things for the sake of having them (and to play around a little). That's why an Apple II will set you back several hundred while an Apple IIe goes for about $60. You can do a lot more with an Apple IIe, but people want that early Apple II due to the rarity and functional differences. To some people, less functionality equals more challenge and that equates to more fun.

• Like 1

Collecting depends on the individual, so to say that an early CTIA Atari 800 is "not collectible" is a slap in the face to someone who does collect them. I would certainly view them as collectible for my personal collection as an Atari enthusiast. It's also not a great idea to call something "almost worthless" and then offer some money for it - I've seen that tactic at yard sales before and it is usually used when someone knows that something has some value but they want to get it for even less than what is offered.

The answer to that is YES and the NIB Falcon was sold to davidcalgary29

He just verified delivery today....

Too bad there were too many nay-Sayers so they missed out on ONE OF THE LAST NEW FALCONS ON PLANET EARTH... for only $500....

Go ahead.... send him a message......

All I am saying is that after 30 years of collecting Atari equipment, I have NEVER heard anyone make a fuss about a CTIA 800.....ever....

If it is worth more than a normal 800, well that would be the FIRST time I have EVER heard of that...

That’s because ( it’s not RARE and it not a PROTOTYPE,, its actually classified as a "defect" the CTIA was never supposed to be in the A8 it was a stopgap until the GTIA was finished.)

Too bad this sale got ruined by all the loose lips, I was ready to drop up to $40 for that 800 via PayPal that same day...BAM...

Now..

whatever...

Oh, and as far as jtoubeaux’s “yard sale” comment is concerned.

Are you serious?

If the 800 had a GTIA,, we all KNOW its worth about $70.

Offering $30-$40 is EXACTLY in line with what it is worth after I have to spend time and money buying and installing a GTIA chip from BEST.

Seriously,,, I didn’t even really need that unit! I was just something to do; I was SERIOUSLY just trying to help a brother out..

Folks around here seem to have serious trust issues…. It’s sad…

You need to have a talk with davidcalgary29.. (Whom I just sold the Falcon to) and Chris Strong (whom I traded the 1090XL and 1400XL with ) to remind yourselves that not every person on this board is some kind of scheming bastard…

Topaz

Too bad this sale got ruined by all the loose lips, I was ready to drop up to $40 for that 800 via PayPal that same day...BAM...

Now..

whatever...

Yes I'm sure you were. It's a shame that people told the truth and you weren't able to scam someone out of a rarer version of the 800. Darn shame. It's just not right when people tell the truth.

Folks around here seem to have serious trust issues…. It’s sad…

Says the man with two accounts. You do know we can see these things right? It's not sad, we just have experience with people like you. Lots of experience...

Tempest,

I really don’t give a crap that you are a moderator of the board.

You really are dense if by this point you actually think that a CTIA 800 is actually worth something. You have taken the issue too far.

1400XLs and 1450XLDs are rare, so are 1090XLs and 815 drives ASTRA Big "D"s etc.

800s with CTIAs art worth crap... never have been and never will be..... Period dot. ( I was there when the CTIA 800s were being upgraded in the service centers to GTIAs... we couldent get rid of thoes CTIAs fast enough.)

A second account? Do I have a second account.....??!?

DELETE it..... What’s your point?

Didn't I say very clearly in other posts that I used to visit this board years ago?!?!?//// well....??

Perhaps I forgot all about it?

SMOKE IT.. What do I care.....!!

Dude... NAM is over... it’s OK>> really... you need to chill on me I am not the enemy......

Besides,, can’t you read,,,,

What business do you have mouthing off to me like that when you are too lazy to verify my story with davidcalgary29 and Christopher Strong?

You do not deserve to be a moderator of this board..... You appear to at least as big a trouble maker as jtoubeaux You also have a short memory and do not folow up with any reaserch before fireing off false accuations.

Take some advise from my Grandpa,,,, and quit while you are "behind".

You are supposed to set the example..........

Topaz