IGNORED

Best and worst games?

2600Guru

Best games = Frostbite, River Raid, Qbert, Frogger, Warlords, Dodg'Em and loads more. Those are the games me and the wife are addicted to at the present.

Worst = Not really found anything so bad so far. Only got 50 or so games so far and like the. all for what they are. Mousetrap is pretty bad but playable.

Best: too many to list... most 20th Century Fox, Activision, Absolute, Atari Corp., Coleco, Imagic, Mattel, Parker Bros., and SEGA titles; and all Epyx & Xonox titles.

Worst: most PAL only titles and all Mystique titles.

E.T. doesn't even come close to being on the worst list; if you disagree, you may need to try out some more obscure games. ;) I loved E.T. as a kid and still love it today. It's one of the games I play nearly every time I fire up the 2600. I never had trouble getting out of wells when I was a kid, so I don't understand that criticism. The difference between then and now is that back then, I always played on skill level 3 (without humans), or 2. I could never win a game on skill 1 with all humans active. Now, I only play with all humans (thanks mostly to Random Terrain's guides). I like how it's different every time I play and always requires a different strategy.

For example: The other day, the phone home zone was located on the human's screen, which required that I allow the scientist to carry me there, (if I walked there, a human would appear before I could reach the spot), quickly run to the phone home zone after being dropped off, run to another screen to where I used the send humans back zone while waiting out the clock, (the timing wouldn't work out right if I waited on the forest screen), then run to the forest just in time to catch the ship in the landing zone. It took some trial and error to get the right strategy for this particular game and I needed to be revived for the first time in a long time... but this randomness keeps it fresh. Also, getting the Yar, Indy, and initials makes for extra gameplay challenge.

• Like 2

E.T. is NOT a bad game. To illustrate this just try out one of Mythicon's 3 games. Those are bad games (although, I do like Sorcerer, I like a lot of bad games and I am easily entertained ^_^).

Mythicon? Ok? That makes ET sound good!

Oh, man....this is a tough one....

Pretty much every homebrew I've played could be tied for "best." Seriously, they're amazing...

But if homebrews are out of the question, then....

Best: Jr. Pac-Man. Why? Well, I'm a big Pac-Man fan (I even enjoy the Tod Frye game!), and I was seriously im-effing-pressed with the conversion Atari did for this. Got it for Christmas in 1987 and wow, it blew me away.

Worst: Cosmic Ark. I've explained my disgust with this game on more than one occasion, but in a nutshell....crappy joystick response and collision detection during the asteroid parts.

Oh, man....this is a tough one....

Pretty much every homebrew I've played could be tied for "best." Seriously, they're amazing...

But if homebrews are out of the question, then....

Best: Jr. Pac-Man. Why? Well, I'm a big Pac-Man fan (I even enjoy the Tod Frye game!), and I was seriously im-effing-pressed with the conversion Atari did for this. Got it for Christmas in 1987 and wow, it blew me away.

Worst: Cosmic Ark. I've explained my disgust with this game on more than one occasion, but in a nutshell....crappy joystick response and collision detection during the asteroid parts.

You don't like Cosmic Ark? Sure it's not anything special, but I play it sometimes. :-D

The game I thought was the end all back in the day would probably be Pitfall 2. The day I got it was on my birthday, all my friends and I spent the rest of the party taking turns playing. Just awesome. When everyone had left to go home, I was still playing.

Worst is a tough one. I know even back in the 80's I thought Laser Blast sucked. Soooo boring. Now that I'm older and have played many more games on the 2600. I'd have to go with something like Sssnake. Just awful, I would have been sad if I had that game growing up.

• Like 1

Best: Adventure

Because you are free to go where you want and do what you want in the game, it was like the GTA of 1979!

Worst: Shark Attack

Basically anything Apollo made was crap. But this one was just unplayable with it's horrible, HORRIBLE, collision detection.

Best Game: Probably Pitfall II because it really added depth to what the first Pitfall was.

Worst Game: Pac-Man. I hated that game the day I spent $30 and opened it. I hate it now. Worst conversion of a game to Atari ever! In my opinion, that and ET caused the 1984 crash, regardless of all the other crap flowing into the market at that time.

Best: Adventure

Because you are free to go where you want and do what you want in the game, it was like the GTA of 1979!

So I'm interested in Adventure. I'm not sure what to do, I want to learn more before I buy it.

Worst: Shark Attack

Basically anything Apollo made was crap. But this one was just unplayable with it's horrible, HORRIBLE, collision detection.

Best Game: Probably Pitfall II because it really added depth to what the first Pitfall was.

Worst Game: Pac-Man. I hated that game the day I spent $30 and opened it. I hate it now. Worst conversion of a game to Atari ever! In my opinion, that and ET caused the 1984 crash, regardless of all the other crap flowing into the market at that time.

Pac-Man is okay. Every collector has to have that in his collection. Like me :D , but mark my words, ET will never come near my baby VCS :spidey:

Ugh.. since I can't seem to delete a post I didn't intend to make I just put "bump". Oh well.

Best Atari game: Pitfall II

Worst: Laser Blast

I was messing with ya bro haha.

Tron, dark cavern, stamped, atlantis, are some of my favorites

I think ET and pacman are both decent games, and have played both quite often.

Both swordquest games were certainly some of the worst games.

Swordquest does suck

You don't like Cosmic Ark? Sure it's not anything special, but I play it sometimes. :-D

Yep -- I routinely put "Cosmic Ark" as worst. And this is coming from a guy who has both E.T. and the Tod Frye Pac-Man. :D

• Like 1

Yep -- I routinely put "Cosmic Ark" as worst. And this is coming from a guy who has both E.T. and the Tod Frye Pac-Man. :D

Lol, that's mean !

I can't believe more than one person is saying Cosmic Ark is among the worst. Cosmic Ark is great! The action is furious and fast and the graphics are great. It even has something of a humorous whimsy in that you're vaporizing those comets east and west and north and south, and then you descend in the suborbital module to tractor beam up funky critters and then zip back up and blast more space rocks and you have no time to take a breather, ever.

I could think of many, but these are my personal 'Best' and 'Worst' and the reasons why:

BEST - Pole Position

Sure the graphics aren't the best, and the sounds are sub-par, but the overall game play is well replicated. In fact, when I first played it, it was actually faster than I anticipated it being. (Thanks a lot, Enduro!) For its time, and given what they were working with, I'm impressed with how well they did Pole Position.

WORST - Math Gran Prix

It was a nice concept, but poorly executed. In my opinion, it was a bit too slow-paced, and the math problems were simple enough. Granted, it was primarily marketed for children, but still.