IGNORED

Hordes By Not-Polyoptics

OX.

I think it originally came from a cassette re this article - http://www.retrogamingtimes.com/rtm69/ (scroll down to the article by Keith Bergman), iv'e tried finding it for quite a while and up until now this is the only copy I can find in existence apart from the one in the article by Keith Bergman (InfernalKeith on here) has along with Atlantis. The datafile could be bad or maybe it's been saved to disk after it's been loaded from cassette and the redefined output has been saved instead of the original file, if this is the case I wonder if the redefinition bit can be skipped and just load the file as is or reverse engineer the definition code to produce the original data file.

Edited by OX.

I think it originally came from a cassette re this article - http://www.retrogamingtimes.com/rtm69/ (scroll down to the article by Keith Bergman), iv'e tried finding it for quite a while and up until now this is the only copy I can find in existence apart from the one in the article by Keith Bergman (InfernalKeith on here) has along with Atlantis. The datafile could be bad or maybe it's been saved to disk after it's been loaded from cassette and the redefined output has been saved instead of the original file, if this is the case I wonder if the redefinition bit can be skipped and just load the file as is or reverse engineer the definition code to produce the original data file.

If you look at the data file it doesn't make much sense. Seems to devolve into giberish (to me anyway.) Are these the only two files associated with the game ?

As far as I know these are the only two files associated with the game, the original on cassette being a case of loading the first file on side A then flipping the cassette to load the data file, so this disk version is probably a hack version of the cassette.

The attached disk image contains the game "Hordes" which has proved a bit of a bugger to find, however the listing appears to be bugged, can any TI basic coders out there help to put this right?

OX.

A look at the data file shows a bunch of 16 digit strings (character definitions ?) separated by periods. In the middle of this is oddly a 2 digit string of 'FF'.

At first glance the problem appears to lie there.

But of course, I'm probably wrong. ;)

Edited by Gazoo

The attached disk image contains the game "Hordes" which has proved a bit of a bugger to find, however the listing appears to be bugged, can any TI basic coders out there help to put this right?

OX.

A look at the data file shows a bunch of 16 digit strings (character definitions ?) separated by periods. In the middle of this is oddly a 2 digit string of 'FF'.

At first glance the problem appears to lie there.

Yes I agree they seem to be character definitions as when I run the game without the file import code I get no game graphics which I think is what the data file is.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go, guys. This is Hordes in disk format, with non-corrupted data file. I just tried it out and it works fine.

It's slow as molasses to set up, even in XB, even in overdrive in Classic99. But it works.

I will type in or scan the manual at some point, if anyone wants it.

I would love to see someone dissect this code, use XB's resources, and make AI for this game so one player could play. As of now, it's 2-player only.

HORDES.zip

• Like 2

Excellent, nice one Keith! Already have the manual scan here thanks, seeing as your here I've been trying to get hold of a copy of "Atlantis" by Intrigue, as your original post of yonks ago whetted the appetite - did you manage a disk conversion? If not any chance of a d/l of .wav of the cassette so I can play it in MESS?

Atlantis is inaccessible right now (both the city and the game), but I will be getting to it when I have finished setting my computer room back up, and have all the rest of my TI goodies unboxed and sorted.

Thank Keith, I'll keep my fingers crossed it's not too long to wait and look forward to playing it.

• 9 years later...
10 minutes ago, sparkdrummer said:

Does anyone have the actual Console Basic version of Hordes? That will load from cassette - bare console in TI Basic? 

I have to look. I know I have the manual, but I don't remember if the cassette was in the lot that had the manual in it. . .

• Like 1