IGNORED

Kickstarter Projects?

There seems to be a LOT of projects that are trying to get funding through Kickstarter. Sound sound better then others. I've seen remakes planned for a number of games, as well as new ones.

Can anyone post some links and game titles for some Kickstarter projects that sound the most promising? Could be anything at all -- PC games, card games, new games, whatever. I'm just trying to find some way of seeing all the projects at one place. :)

This is videogame side bar.

http://www.kickstart...mes?ref=sidebar

The ones I'm currently intested in:

Boot Hill (SNES Style RPG) - http://kck.st/JKCCLo

Double Fine Adventure (Tim Schafer!) - http://kck.st/Haj4Fx

Leisure Suit Larry - http://kck.st/Haj4Fx

Republique (Stealth Survival game) - http://kck.st/HEZHSo

Wasteland 2 - http://kck.st/yDcMry

Carmaggedon - http://kck.st/IFBdGm

Edited by cimerians

Thanks for the help on that.

I wish there was a easier way to search the Kickstarter project page to look for concepts as well as game names. For example, I'd love to find a game that was a new version of Star Control 2 or the Starflight games. Or a American made game in the style of the Japanese hentai games.

It's also disapointing to see how many good sounding projects will NEVER even get close to their funding levels. Like I did see mention of a new version of Battle Chess, which I loved as a kid and happily pledged, but it's never going to hit it's goal in a week.

Finally, it's not really clear if you pledge on something that allready hit it's goal if you'll still get it -- like the Leisure Suit Larry game.

You'll get the rewards for whatever level you pledge as long as the project still has time left regardless of whether they have pledges that exceed their goal or not.

Here's another one in the vein of Privateer. It even has a link to a demo on the project page.

http://www.kickstart...us/al-skyjacker

Here's a link to their video game category page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/video%20games

Wasteland 2 and Carmaggedon are the two that would make me a very happy person. It is cool that the makers of these games are going to the fans to get the money to make them without having to sell out what they want to make to a company with it's own views for the game.

That said, I wonder if the fans will get what they want even when they pay the bill to get it made. Also, what do you get for giving money to the game? The best I can tell you get to buy the game like everyone else and in doing so pay for it again.

So, I love the idea, I'm worried about the process.

Wasteland 2 and Carmaggedon are the two that would make me a very happy person. It is cool that the makers of these games are going to the fans to get the money to make them without having to sell out what they want to make to a company with it's own views for the game.

That said, I wonder if the fans will get what they want even when they pay the bill to get it made. Also, what do you get for giving money to the game? The best I can tell you get to buy the game like everyone else and in doing so pay for it again.

as far as pledging on Kickstarter goes, you get a copy for pledging.

If you use paypal, I assume its the same.

Edited by Arkhan

You get whatever you pledge for. Sometimes you get the game if its 5 bucks or more. If its less you may get a thank you and your name in the credits (Boothill for example). Its all in the description of the pledges.

The cool thing with the Boothill devs: I accidentally pledged 5 bucks which got me in the credits but no copy of the game (I wasn't paying attention to what the pledge said). I emailed the lead developer directly (he lists his contact info on the main page) and he wrote me back that he would get me a copy of the game later on to work something out.

Just read the pledges on the right hand side to see what you get. You almost always get a copy of the game. Also you do NOT get charged anything if the project is unsuccessfully funded.

You never know but someone could start a project and then run away if it gets funded, I can see that happen I guess but I'm not sure if it has or what happens. I'm not worried about it.

This is a great idea though and I think it can only get better.

One more thing: You can keep track of whats going on in your account when you login. All the games you have pledged for are listed. When the games are finished they usually email you on getting your game. Some games I pledged for won't be done for a while but most of the ones I have pledged for are good at keeping everyone up to date on how the games are coming along.

Edited by cimerians

Thanks for the information guys. Was a wonder of mine I never really looked into. Might have to get a little more active on this kind of thing.

What is they reach the stated goal and a year later the "company" making the game is no more? I'm assuming this is the risk of giving the money. Surely they would take the money to start this up, and if things go bad they go bad and these things happen...

Since we're on the topic, the Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest authors) have a Kickstarter that needs attention. So many great games have achieved their funding, it would be sad if this one didn't. They've even retained the narrator from Space Quest IV for the project. (Don't mess with it!)

They're about 2/3s through the process, and have about 2/3 of the cash they need to do it. I'm sure they can achieve that goal, if people spread the word. I kicked them $30. Join us!

Edited by Hatta

Since we're on the topic, the Two Guys from Andromeda (Space Quest authors) have a Kickstarter that needs attention. So many great games have achieved their funding, it would be sad if this one didn't. They've even retained the narrator from Space Quest IV for the project. (Don't mess with it!)

They're about 2/3s through the process, and have about 2/3 of the cash they need to do it. I'm sure they can achieve that goal, if people spread the word. I kicked them $30. Join us!

I pledged 15. Thanks for the heads up. I love old Sierra games. Space Quest too.

Damn. I dont think they will make it.

I wish devs had more access to word of mouth. Sadly most game sites only talk about whats currently out there in the mainstream (Sony, Microsoft, EA etc).

Speaking of not having access to word of mouth, my friends kickstarter desparately needs some attention.

It promises to be a fast paced FPS. In your face action and reflex excitement.

But, it seems like if IGN, Gamespot or Kotaku doesn't dig it, the pop-gaming culture follows suit and doesn't bother.

It's sort of a sad world we live in where the majority needs to have their hand held.

• Like 1

Felt like this thread could use a little hardware love.

MakeyMakey is a project already successfully funded by kickstarter I heard about a little while ago. Anyone into emulation gaming should check this out. You could build just another another as an input device for your computer from this thing. My first thought was how easy this would make it to build arcade style sticks for the PC, but you could use bananas as input devices with it if you would like :D .

www.makeymakey.com

Donkey Kong controlled with a banana? :)

Some of the stuff that gets funding is absolutely crazy. that iPhone dock especially.

its a piece of plastic.

give me a break.

All you need to do on Kickstarter to get funded, is get mentioned on one of the big sites. You could be kickstarting a poop flinging pocket catapult. If forbes or something mentions it, people go YES and fund it.

:D

• Like 1

I'm a bit worried about the "Two Guys Space Venture" project. Nine days to go and they are at ~$294K/$500K. The LSL1 game was funded in a heartbeat, whereas this project that has just as much if not more humor and adventure value is languishing. If you loved the Space Quest series........chip in if you can/want. I hope it gets funded, these are the type of game I love.

That Pinball project has been fully funded for the Twilight Zone table, they are looking to a secondary goal (of twice the original goal) to procure the license for the Star Trek TNG table. I haven't pledged yet to this project, but I may in the next day or so.

Yeah, some of the projects seem hit or miss. Besides the Larry game, two other projects I pledged have gotten funded -- Rain, a promising RPG in the same style as Playstation ones, and that space trading game, Drifter, that Hamm suggested. Battle Chess fell WAY too short -- but they were looking for a massive ammount, 100k! They only got 14k. There's only one more game for me, another space trading game (SkyJacker)

I STILL wish there was a easier way to search for interesting Kickstarter projects.

Edited by SoulBlazer

I pledged 15. Thanks for the heads up. I love old Sierra games. Space Quest too.

Damn. I dont think they will make it.

I wish devs had more access to word of mouth. Sadly most game sites only talk about whats currently out there in the mainstream (Sony, Microsoft, EA etc).

I just send them $30 as well, I'm shocked that it's only got 9 days and I hadn't heard of it, I'm worried many fans may be unaware of it's existence.

My problem is that there are just too many projects all around the same time..

I missed Double Fine.

But I got Wasteland 2, Leisure Suite Larry, and The Banner Saga.

Then they let me do Double Fine via PayPal, so I got that one..

(I was in from before for an Amiga documentary also)

So, I've pledged to a bunch recently, then there was Jane Jensen's project, which I just couldn't do..

And no Two Guys....

Couldn't they wait a few months between some of these projects..

I'm pretty sure a lot of the reason's Two Guys are having problems is that a lot of their fans are in (some are in big) for the other Sierra Alums.

I'm keeping an eye on Two Guys.. Hoping they have a great run near the end..

Also, they asked for more than Larry and Jane Jensen's to start with...

(Actually, they didn't. I lied. They are asking for the same as Larry. But more than Jane did..)

Two much good stuff to spend money on...

desiv

Edited by desiv

It really sucks when projects that should get funded probably wont, all because the link didn't get passed around to the right channels for the masses to see it.

I wonder how well it'd go if you come up with a radical advertising scheme that may involve being on the news... and stuff