IGNORED

Colleen: Android emulator

Philsan

I have this installed on my phone now. Pretty cool.

I was able to get the arrow keys working by holding down the shift button and switching to the non-alpha keyboard options and pressing the +-*= buttons. They aren't all together so that is a pain. My Samsung keyboard also have an option where if you drag your finger in a direction it will use that as cursor input so to move down just drag down on the keyboard. I checked and this does work with games like Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. I also verified it in Memo Pad.

Another option is to use a bluetooth keyboard. The arrows work on there as well, but I have found there seems to be a little lag. Sometimes the keys will get skipped. Either way, I am amazed that I can now carry a working 800 in my pocket.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I've just installed the new version of Colleen on my Google Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean.

In my opinion it's not easy to show console keys, in landscape mode especially.

Often I get the action bar instead of console keys overlay.

Moreover, console keys descriptions are too small to read.

It would be nice to display the real Atari keyboard instead of Android one.

Marvin, Android ZX Spectrum emulator, displays Spectrum's keyboard.

I agree, it's too hard interface with it as a user.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Bump:

Have galaxy s5 with android 5.0

Every time i select Planetary defence,

it says "cannot prepare Planetary defense for boot :-("

What is wrong?

James

Just tried on an s6 edge with android 5.1.1 and it works fine :( sorry i can't help. I assume you have the os roms folder configured, or it wouldn't have gotten that far?

I have it set as an 800xl 64k...

Edited by low.blow

• 2 weeks later...

I got it running on my Android set-top box, though it can only use the keyboard for input.

I also got Droid800 working with limited gamepad support. No action buttons working, though.

If you have an Android set-top box and want to use a gamepad, you should try RetroBoxTV Atari (Droid800) support then (www.retroboxtv.com)

Edited by Franco Catrin

• 2 months later...

I use Colleen on a JXD 7800 - works a treat, very easy to setup and works well with the tablet's built in sticks and buttons. Colleen is okay once you get used the the swipe down and tap top of screen for the file system and console keys IMHO - would prefer to map them to physical buttons, but it works.

The JXD is a great tablet for emulation fans - I run mostly the Robert Broglia apps for Emulation which are all simple to use and very stable.

sTeVE

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I emailed the author a little while ago to request for touch screen support instead of the virtual joystick. The app comes with the Planetary Defense program that was adapted for the touch screen. So, the touch screen support is obviously already there. It would be perfect for games such as Simon (repeat after the four color squares) that I've written a while ago and I would love to adapt it to touch screen. The author has not replied. I'm not sure if this program is currently being supported. Does anyone know?

Edited by atx4us

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the author a little while ago to request for touch screen support instead of the virtual joystick. The app comes with the Planetary Defense program that was adapted for the touch screen. So, the touch screen support is obviously already there. It would be perfect for games such as Simon (repeat after the four color squares) that I've written a while ago and I would love to adapt it to touch screen. The author has not replied. I'm not sure if this program is currently being supported. Does anyone know?

Quoting myself to give everyone an update: The author of Colleen still has not responded to my email. However, I contacted Tom Hudson, the author of the Planetary Defense program from the Analog Magazine days, and fortunately, he replied :) He said that he'll get me the codes soon for the touch screen interface.

I'll adapt my Simon program to use the touch screen as an example and post the interface information at AA for everyone to use.

• Like 5