How do you play in the 5200 HSC?

zylon

13 members have voted

1. 1. What's your weapon of choice?

• actual 5200
    • all emulation
    • mix of emulation and real 5200
    • A8
  2. 2. If using real 5200, what's your control of choice?

• not using 5200
    • CX-52 all day, every day
    • cx-52 and other vintage controls: trackball, WICO, Comp Pro, etc
    • custom controls
    • mixture of original and custom controls

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Just an anonymous poll to check on the competition and to let others see what they're facing each round. ;) |:)

I personally use a real 5200 for most games with occasional emulation or custom cart in the mix. How 'bout you folks?

Poll will be closed at start of next round(9), and will be deleted after round 9's conclusion

Edited by zylon

I'm on a 130XE computer with real disk drive playing the 5200 games that have direct ports - not playing every round but will join in for my favourites. I'm in the UK so have a PAL system which might be an advantage on some games due to speed difference ;)

Occasionally we play a 5200 game in the 8-bit HSC you guys are very welcome to join in too ;)

Zylon perhaps later in the year we could do some sort of dual HSC A8 vs 5200 round with a few classics?

When I have time, I try to hook up the 5200 and play with a real 5200 controller, although sometimes I try using a Masterplay w/genesis pad (which isn't always superior to a stock 5200 stick. Lately I'm pressed for time so just play emulation on PC (Atari800win 4.0) or on the Dreamcast emulation seems spot-on to the real hardware.

Real Atari 5200 all the time here, usually with the Wico stick, occasionally with the Competition Pro, never with the CX-52. Using real carts for vintage released games, and the Atarimax USB multicart for prototypes.

Occasionally we play a 5200 game in the 8-bit HSC you guys are very welcome to join in too ;)

Zylon perhaps later in the year we could do some sort of dual HSC A8 vs 5200 round with a few classics?

Well guys, what do you think? I'm sure we could agree on something where each side picks a couple games that were on both systems.

Real hardware w/ Best Electronics 5200 stick unless it's a game I don't own, then I'll use an emulator. With no joystick for my computer it kind of sucks (and I'm not a big fan of playing emulated to begin with). I'm okay with using whatever sticks you have for the 5200. If I owned a Comp Pro, I'd probably use it.

I totally get that some games are the same on both systems so there isn't much of a functional difference (other than the array of controllers available for A8s), so I understand why it's allowed, it more just feels weird. This HSC is about the 5200 and it's sleek, black, underappreciated glory! Anyways, just my 2c.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I play original carts for released games, and use a 128-1 for proto's, on one of [4] 5200's. My preferred machine is my beloved early production 4 port, though she wanders a bit calibration wise when the ambient temp gets HOT , then settles right back into place when it cools off outside [weird] . I cant see changing the calibration pot or replacing anything until she finally goes belly up... A very consistent machine in a controlled environment.

Depending on the game or how much trouble it is giving me, I'll use 1 of 2, 2 ports calibrated for my left or right tendencies or boot pull on a controller on any given shooter game. I sometimes break out a third 2 port which is the machine I set the Galaxian and progressive Breakout records on.. She's a clean rummage sale find and has an Atari service sticker on the bottom , don't know if that's good or bad, this one is more my security blanket than anything else. My go to unit when all others fail me !!

I am currently rebuilding an * serialized 4 port, which I hope to utilize eventually.

Controller wise I use a mix of CX52's 95% of the time. My main being an NOSboxed '87 which I took apart the day it arrived and rebuilt with best elec. contacts, though I do use a mix of non rebuilt varying production Cx52's , depending on the game and controller feel I am accustomed to, while playing that game. There is a difference in stick height, fire button and boot density .

I love a Comp Pro for certain games, the beauty being solder-less connectors so I was able to convert both of mine to left handed !!!! NO Wico's for me because they are made for right handed folks :( and should be BANNED if for no other reason... Kidding :)

Edited by peedenmark7
  • Like 1