IGNORED

Where do you buy you're games from?

2600Guru

I miss Montgomery Ward's, the ones that anchored the malls, not the one that bought the name to make an on-line site.

I tend to stop in to local Disc Replay stores to see if they got anything new since I've been there last. Not all Disc Replay stores will deal with Atari 2600 games and the local one has like 100 copies of bowling and star raiders. Disc Replay has recently been pricing their Atari games and some of the "rare" games get listed for prices that are equal to what you can find on the eBay, when they first opened all games were 99 cents. One tip if you get into a Disc Replay and are disappointed with what they have out in their display cases, ask if you can go through any games that they have in a box behind the counter, usually it is nothing but commons but you might find a hidden gem or two to help you if you are still seeking a few common carts or would rather not pay shipping to get such a cart on-line.

Another local site (Game X Change) sells all Atari games at a fixed price. If I recall all 2600 are 99 cents and 7800 are 2.99.

I think I picked up a couple of Mean 18's from one of these two stores at 10% of what they typically go for on eBay. I also tend to buy up paddles any time they come in if I can get them for $3 a pair. When they get a system in, which would always come with all cords and some controllers, they tend to start at about $40. I believe they would buy a complete system for $20 or $25. I also look for games that I might already have but I know would be desired by the collecting community and try to post them on eBay (or GameGavel) to undercut the high prices of unrealistic auction re-sellers. I've also had success finding games with the SARA (is that right) chip and re-selling those, basically at no profit, to others who can re-use them in this community to produce new games (or repros).

^

Where's Disc Replay at in Lafayette? I get that way sometimes and have never seen it. I was there last weekend and hit Game X Change. Got some sweet deals on Colecovision, 32X, Genesis, and Master System games and controllers. Prices were a lot nicer than ebay for sure.

I have a Disc Replay up my way, and like you always ask to go through their boxes of 2600 and Intellivision stuff behind the counter. The main stuff they put out front is NES and up. The older stuff is mostly behind the counter.

Y, pawn shops are definitely in play. Best one I have been to sells NES games for $1 a piece, no matter the rarity. Another pawn shop I go to once in a while has lots of N64, PS2, and Xbox stuff. Haven't seen 2600 games in pawn shops in a long time though.

Where do I buy I'm video games from??? Honestly, usually from cheap-o eBay lots, or if I have some free time and access to the car (my wife and I only have one car), I may run over to Sean Kelly's store outside of Chicago...

Honestly all of my 2600 stuff, limited as it is, has been off of eBay or Shopgoodwill.com. Most of it I've bought in semi-random lots.

I hit up my local retro gaming stores and their 2600 selection is a tray full of commons sitting behind the counter. I suppose if you sift through them long enough you'll find something of interest. At another store in town I found a red label DK and a couple of Parker Bros carts with missing labels (wasn't willing to roll the dice on that one even for 99 cents). I haven't even bothered with thrift stores, too many of them locally to hit up.

With the local gaming stores if it is 8-bit it will almost exclusively be NES with a bit of SMS sprinkled in.

eBay - I haven't bought from eBay in a few months, but when I do, it's generally cheap lots. Plenty of good stuff can come cheaply if you bide your time and buy carefully.

GoodWill - I have a contact at a local GoodWill. I get calls from them every few weeks, and it's generally good stuff. Since I'm the only person that seems to be interested, they sell to me cheap. I even buy stuff I don't really want, or that doesn't work just to keep the relationship going. For instance, I paid $5 for a N64 that looked like it had been thrown up on, with a red controller (a color I didn't yet have). I've also gotten an IntV and a CV from them for much cheaper than I could have in your average eBay sale.

Garage sales - Sometimes good stuff can be found there. I've never seen an actual console sitting out for sale, but I make a point to specifically inquire with the sellers if they have any cart based game consoles. They usually say no, but every now and then I get a bite, and negotiations start.

Sometimes things just fall in my lap, or otherwise seem to find me. It's a matter of making my interests known to my friends and others around me. If a good enough deal comes up, I might even provide services (not the kind you're thinking of, RT) in return for some good stuff.

Used game shops, thrifts, and ebay. have looked at game gavel, but their prices are normally too high.

Are you serious about Sears selling games for VCS? They haven't sold those since the 80's.

Sadly I've never been to Sears, I thought they might sell used games there? Obviously not.

Used game shops, thrifts, and ebay. have looked at game gavel, but their prices are normally too high.

Are you serious about Sears selling games for VCS? They haven't sold those since the 80's.

Sadly I've never been to Sears, I thought they might sell used games there? Obviously not.

Sears is a large department store chain in the U.S. They were big sellers of Atari back in the day. No, they wouldn't have sold used games.

Sears is a large department store chain in the U.S. They were big sellers of Atari back in the day. No, they wouldn't have sold used games.

Well, I know what Sears is but I haven't been to one since I was like 5

Sears used to sell store brand Atari VCS and Intellivision systems, along with Sears brand video game cartridges, but that was all back in the early to mid 80's. It would be sweet if they started selling that stuff again.

How is this even possible? I don't think I've ever met an American who has never been to Sears. I think my grandparents went to Sears every day for 30 years after they retired. Maybe I have a distorted perspective. I think most of my shoes growing up were made by Kenmore or Craftsman. How awesome would it have been if the Sears Tele-Games were branded rather by Kenmore or Craftsman? I bet Brian O could make a mock-up.

How is this even possible? I don't think I've ever met an American who has never been to Sears. I think my grandparents went to Sears every day for 30 years after they retired. Maybe I have a distorted perspective. I think most of my shoes growing up were made by Kenmore or Craftsman. How awesome would it have been if the Sears Tele-Games were branded rather by Kenmore or Craftsman? I bet Brian O could make a mock-up.

I know, I want to go but there's none near by!

If you have K Mart or Target nearby, you're not really missing out on anything. The biggest advantage to having a Sears store nearby is good tools and appliances. But these are nor cheap, so you are really better shopping elsewhere for them anyway.

K Mart is owned by Sears, so they carry some of the Craftsman tools and Kenmore appliances anyway.