IGNORED

A Magnavox Odyessy ONE Found!

Found this today at the Buy Sell & Trade store on North Grand & MacArthur Blvd in Springfield, IL - this complete Odyssey ONE can be yours for $150.00.

I'm not the seller, but I saw this today, and wanted to share it here in case anyone is looking this 40 year old game system ... which I assume anyone who has a gaming museum of some sort would probably want to add this to their collection.

Buy Sell & Trade is a non-clothing thrift store...there's a lot of odd stuff in there that you'll not see elsewhere.

Article - http://www.pcworld.com/article/256101/inside_the_magnavox_odyssey_the_first_video_game_console.html

post-4450-0-57644900-1338591918_thumb.jpg

post-4450-0-08528000-1338591939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crimefighter

This reminds me of when i found the Odyssey 2 at a Thrift Store a few years ago for $5.00 in the box.

And it even came with about 5 games. It works and I still have it in my closet.

It started me combing the local thrift stores weekly. I find great video game stuff almost every week.

And i have purchased almost every vintage system i have from the thrift stores.

Even today i found Q*bert for the NES, Resident Evil for the Gamecube and PAC-MAN collection for Gameboy Advance.

They had more games, But i was not interested in the others.

With the box and carrying case this is definately worth the asking price. It also has some 72 game parts. I see Funzoo cards and I believe the invasion overlays in there as well as percepts. Not a bad set for a starter.

I really wonder what the value of any of this stuff will be in another 40 years....if an original Odyssey only goes for $150 on a good day, then there really must be a ton of them out there, or the demand is extremely low (only for hardcore collectors looking for historic pieces).

I woulda thought that the first home videogame system would generally bring in more cash value. Who knows, though, what the future might bring.

I really wonder what the value of any of this stuff will be in another 40 years....if an original Odyssey only goes for $150 on a good day, then there really must be a ton of them out there, or the demand is extremely low (only for hardcore collectors looking for historic pieces).

I woulda thought that the first home videogame system would generally bring in more cash value. Who knows, though, what the future might bring.

These are cool and all but I think the lower demand is because

- Lack of nostalgia

- Lack of playability

Not many people remember these and they are just not that playable compared to other more popular systems that came out just shorthly after (atari, intv, etc..) I have been HEAVY into games since the early 80's and I had never heard of an odyssey until 10 years ago, played one at a show and have absolutely zero interest in collecting for it. Yeah, I'm sure it was awesome in it's day but I personally found it just too dated. I don't really like the packaging for the system games either so it just has no appeal to me. Not trying to sound like a dick to those that do like it but without any kind of memory/nostalgia associated with it most collectors have to draw the line somewhere...well...except Ianoid who has EVERYTHING :)

I agree with most of what you said as well.

I had to reluctantly "force" myself to complete my Odyssey 2 collection just because a family member had given me their Odyssey 2 system and about a dozen games. Unlike other systems, each time I acquired a new game and went to check it out, it had practically no fun factor for me. The games graphics were very primitive and simplistic (extremely limited sprite abilities) and the sounds were also very archaic. Granted, a handful of titles have good game play and can be a little bit of fun, but most were just not enough for me. I also at one point flirted with the idea of adding a Channel F System to my collection as well, but that one is even older and so far I have been unable to force myself to get into it. I couldn't even imagine an Odyssey 1. That would be like REALLY going back too far and it is basically a glorified pong system in my opinion. Very little play value, if any that I can see.

I grew up with the 2600, it was my first game system and so you mentioned drawing a line in the sand, well that is where I drew mine. Anything older then that, has no nostalgic value for me (since I never had it when I was young) and has little to no game play or collecting value to me either (since I could never appreciate the history of it).

But there are those out there that go so far as to even collect all the varieties of the stand alone pong units so everyone is different.

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

I agree with most of what you said as well.

I had to reluctantly "force" myself to complete my Odyssey 2 collection just because a family member had given me their Odyssey 2 system and about a dozen games. Unlike other systems, each time I acquired a new game and went to check it out, it had practically no fun factor for me. The games graphics were very primitive and simplistic (extremely limited sprite abilities) and the sounds were also very archaic. Granted, a handful of titles have good game play and can be a little bit of fun, but most were just not enough for me. I also at one point flirted with the idea of adding a Channel F System to my collection as well, but that one is even older and so far I have been unable to force myself to get into it. I couldn't even imagine an Odyssey 1. That would be like REALLY going back too far and it is basically a glorified pong system in my opinion. Very little play value, if any that I can see.

I grew up with the 2600, it was my first game system and so you mentioned drawing a line in the sand, well that is where I drew mine. Anything older then that, has no nostalgic value for me (since I never had it when I was young) and has little to no game play or collecting value to me either (since I could never appreciate the history of it).

But there are those out there that go so far as to even collect all the varieties of the stand alone pong units so everyone is different.

Yeah, if the Odyssey had better "shelf appeal" to me then maybe but obtrusive/ugly boxes and terribly dated gameplay equals "no thanks" for my collection. At best it would be an occasional conversation piece at family gatherings :)

I'm the same, 2600 is my line since I grew up with it but it's also quite playable, even today, especially the homebrew scene. Channel F is tempting with those wild 70's rainbow boxes...but yeah, I would NEVER actually play it so maybe not ;)

I agree with both of these points. However, I think the Odyssey is the most interesting console to collect for. It really started the industry that we have all come to love. There are even some fun games to play. The basics like tennis, volleyball and handball are alot of fun. Also games like interplanetary voyage and Brainwave can be entertaining.

Though I do disagree about the shelf appeal. I think the Odyssey boxes, especially the games, have a unique and interesting look and the 73 games have some of the best artwork of anygame. Of course I exclusively collect Odyssey so my opinion may be a little biased :)

• Like 1

Sorry I gotta post on this subject too. I am an odyssey collector so im biased too but I do respect everyones opinion on this post. I gotta agree with njb the 73 games have some of the coolest artwork out there. If you take a look at Interpanetary Voyage it is one awesome game. But I love the 70's vintage look personally. When it comes to playablility yes it is somewhat dated but still very fun to play. Every year my local library has an "old school gaming day" which I donate my time and some of my collection(temporarily). I set up an odyssey to see what kind of reaction I would get. People loved to play tennis and had a great time. The overlays did throw people a little off though. But there is still some playability in the system. Oh and Crazy Climber if you get a chance to pick up a Channel F I would recommend it. VERY fun system to play as long as you have a second player.

Edited by Uppy

I think the only way that I'd collect for this system (which I wouldn't) was if everything was minty fresh. It has that awesome retro-retro that you can't find anywhere else! I first found out about this system back in 88 when reading a book I found in a library about video games...wish I had kept it, as I had 'acquired' it from the school library! It was pretty awesome, and told all about Ralph Baer (which, as a Coleco/NES kid, I was very interested in the history of gaming) whom nobody I knew had heard of. Pre-internet info on video games, ahhhh...the good ol'd days.

It's just strange that THE FIRST home video game machine is such a non-item in regards to systems like the VCS and NES. But who knows?...perhaps the rarity someday will ensure that only a few exist and might become collectible. But who cares, really...it's not like it'll appreciate a worthwhile value, even in the best of cases.

Air Raid all the way!....lol, again, that game makes NO sense to me in terms of why it's such a holy grail: it has NO nostalgia, none! It's just a turd of a game and yet it's worth something. Yet the Odyssey gets lemons. What a world.

Any idea if it's a '72 run 1 system? I'd probably make the drive out for that. OP, are you offering to buy it and ship it if we paypal you the money?

I would definately say this is a model BLAK (so the first of the two models) based on the fact that it has the shiny top controllers. It also has a pink instruction manual so Id say its most likely a 1972. However, It has brown carts so it would have to be a late 1972. I have had systems that had all this featuresd but a 1975 system. Magnavox wasnt perfect to say the least. If you are looking for a 1972 Id go for it. I think it is a 1972 run 1

Are the overlays subject to getting brittle after time if not protected? But other than that, if the system works and you like retro, go for it. I'm a solo gamer so Odyssey wouldn't be for me.

The overlays dont really get brittle. Maybe some more single player games will come out in the near future

Just because its a Model BLAK doesnt mean its a run 1.There was a Run 1 and Run 2 Model BLAK . The serial would start with a 6 or a 7 if its a 1972 run 1 unit and it would be stamped run 1, run 1A or run 1b on the bottom.

Bummer. I was hoping someone here would get it

Edited by njb12287

It was me who called them about shipping the console to Canada.

They haven't returned my email since yesterday so maybe they thought it would be easier if they sold it locally.

njb12287: If you want to buy it, go ahead. I wasn't really in the market for one and can acquire one in the future. No biggie.