IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 9 Q*bert

zylon

Our game this round is Q*bert. Play on default starting settings and have at it.

Emulation is allowed as well as custom controls. Pics encouraged, but not required.

Round ends Sunday June 17th, 2012 @ 10pm EST.

We have never played this one in the HSC before, so the lucky winner will create a new record!

Final scores:

128,860 patbb +11

111,880 jblenkle +10

110,165 atariron82 +9

103,525 sdamon +8

97,210 JacobZu7zu7 +7

31,425 roadrunner +6

30,480 BydoEmpire +5

5,425 BillyHW +4

2,500 peedenmark7 +3

2,300 zylon +2

Current Standings:

sdamon - 92

JacobZu7zu7 - 66

atariron82 - 60

trbb - 49

skosh - 47

peedenmark7 - 43

roadrunner - 39

tank - 36

Cafeman - 31

BydoEmpire - 30

jblenkle - 31

zylon - 31

Sonic R - 26

patbb - 20

NE146 - 15

SpaceShooter - 15

chuckwalla - 14

BillyHW - 8

MIKE5200 - 4

ahuffman - 1

oyamafamily - 1*

Mister VCS - 1*

Rounds Won:

trbb - 3

sdamon - 2

skosh - 2

JacobZu7zu7 - 1.5

Edited by zylon

3rd try at it, and a personal best!

Control is okay, but holding the fire button down gets tiring...

Got to make sure at the start of each level you have the joystick pushed down, and not up otherwise Q*Bert falls off the top of the pyramid...!

post-3059-0-15420800-1338863871_thumb.jpg

I was really concerned based on earlier experiences with this port that it would be all but impossible to control, but the Wico actually did a fine job with this game!

post-2092-0-83141800-1338904868_thumb.jpg

I'd agree with Mr. Zu7zu7 (congrats on the PP win, by the way!) that holding the button down gets awful tiring. Would taping it down be considered legitimate?

It's odd the way that the sounds for Ugg and Wrong Way are missing for this cart. Some discussion on the issue and a fix for it can be found here: http://www.atariage....bert-sound-fix/ Not that I would use reccomend using any hack unless approved by the moderator, but it's out there for non-competitive use if the sound omission is annoying to you.

Edited by sdamon

I think I will use some duct tape on the fire button!

They should have put a little intro before each level.

I thought I was at 3-4 but when I realized I was at 4-1 with not saucer left ... I had no chances!

post-25394-0-92128000-1338930122_thumb.png

Edited by patbb

A bit brain-boggled on 3-1, as it starts and ends on the same color! Must be some trick I forgot... :ponder:

post-21471-0-35875200-1339083312_thumb.jpg

On 3-1, the pyramid starts on light blue. The first time you hop on a square, it turns dark blue (which is what you want the whole pyramid to be), but if you jump on it again, it goes back to light blue. Yeah, it's tricky, and even more so on level 4 where you have to jump twice on each square, but a third hop changes the color back! And that rotten #$@! Sam sure doesn't help when he comes on down and undoes your hard work!

I remember trying to play this game back in the day on a black and white TV with my 600XL. Talk about challenging... :-)

A bit brain-boggled on 3-1, as it starts and ends on the same color! Must be some trick I forgot... :ponder:

post-21471-0-35875200-1339083312_thumb.jpg

Have a look at a video I made a few months ago.

I'm playing with MAME but it's the same as this port.

I lost 8 men at level 5-4 ... See what happen in this video below ...

You just have to jump off to your death at the first cube down right or left from the top (or every other one after that). The arcade always makes sure a green guy comes out every so often in those later levels so that doesn't happen. You can also keep a disc around but it has to be at the top or every other row down the side.

--Ken

I lost 8 men at level 5-4 ... See what happen in this video below ...

You just have to jump off to your death at the first cube down right or left from the top (or every other one after that). The arcade always makes sure a green guy comes out every so often in those later levels so that doesn't happen. You can also keep a disc around but it has to be at the top or every other row down the side.

--Ken

Are you saying that if if kill my qbert by jumping from one of the lower corner that the color of one of the cube will change?

I'm use to play the arcade version. I was waiting for the green guy but it took a while before he appears.

And even after he changed the color, I was stuck in the same situation ... that's what I called bad luck!

Are you saying that if if kill my qbert by jumping from one of the lower corner that the color of one of the cube will change?

I'm use to play the arcade version. I was waiting for the green guy but it took a while before he appears.

And even after he changed the color, I was stuck in the same situation ... that's what I called bad luck!

When you jump off and then reappear at the top cube you don't change it's color. So it essentially lets you move to a cube without changing its color which can be useful on the levels where they always change when you jump on them. I might be wrong on my explanation of which rows to jump off on but it is important where to jump off.

On arcade (normal difficulty) and b*nQ the object order list for 5-4 is: RED_BALL, SAM, PURPLE_BALL, WRONGWAY, UGH , WRONGWAY, RED_BALL, PURPLE_BALL, RED_BALL, UGH, SLICK, RED_BALL, PURPLE_BALL, UGH, SLICK, WRONGWAY, RED_BALL, PURPLE_BALL, UGH, WRONGWAY, WRONGWAY, RED_BALL, GREEN_BALL, RED_BALL, PURPLE_BALL, WRONGWAY, PURPLE_BALL, UGH, RED_BALL, SAM, PURPLE_BALL, WRONGWAY, REPEAT (purple balls are released as red balls if coily is out)

...so there are plenty of opportunities for cubes to get flipped for you.

--Ken

• Like 1