IGNORED

The Official Intellivision Serial Number Database

Rev

18 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

Is (or was) that SCART connector a common connector on European televisions at one point?

In France it was from the 80s on mandatory on TVs. So most of the consoles got a special SCART version in France. The Colecovision got such a version too.

German TVs got that connection a bit later too as normal feature.

SCART put Euro consumer TV tech well ahead of what we had in the US. It was HDMI-in-concept before HDMI.

In the US we were stuck with the three RGB component cables plus an additional pair for analog stereo audio. I imagine things were quite a bit tidier behind European TVs.

But our Intys and Ataris of that period were RF-only. That's quite a leap from RF to SCART for the early 80's.    

Edited by thinkman808
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased this console with a bunch of games. Console box is Model 2609, serial is 111167. Before I add it to the database, it seems that the box and serial do not match. The owner purchased a GE protection plan. I'm trying to figure out when that box came out (sticker for Poker & Blackjack replaces the intended pack-in, NFL Football). 1980? Catalog is from 1981. Serial also seems from 1981? (Not sure). Maybe faulty console was replaced and kid kept the original box?

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3823.JPEG

IMG_3824.JPEG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, didimo63 said:

I just purchased this console with a bunch of games. Console box is Model 2609, serial is 111167. Before I add it to the database, it seems that the box and serial do not match. The owner purchased a GE protection plan. I'm trying to figure out when that box came out (sticker for Poker & Blackjack replaces the intended pack-in, NFL Football). 1980? Catalog is from 1981. Serial also seems from 1981? (Not sure). Maybe faulty console was replaced and kid kept the original box?

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3823.JPEG

IMG_3824.JPEG

I see now that the box carries a serial number of 030115. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Jstick said:

What’s the significance of a “C” prefix on the serial number?

C-00543

78270D76-CAE5-4DD5-85D9-0288F4DA5ADF.thumb.jpeg.70f90c1769032e5aecb53f29d97b5dfe.jpeg

Now that I think about it, C is for Cmart and Canada so probably the safest and best move would be to send it to me for further observations. ?

• Haha 5

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen much about the 1979 launch either.  There is a book coming out, maybe something there.

The model 2609A were made in Hong Kong for the US market while those made in USA were model 2609.  The A stands for America. Intellivisions made in Hong Kong for Canada were also model 2609 but had an RH prefix on the serial.  That Intellivision above with the C- prefixed serial looks like an early made in USA model for Canada.  Mattel Intellivisions made in USA are older than those made in Hong Kong.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok good to know! My guess is that maybe 500 or less were sold at test launch seeing how it was marketed in only certain stores in one city in California. Maybe these test launch units had a unique serial number designation? 

Do you know how many units were made in America before they switch over to  Hong Kong? I think it around 150,000 units were first produced in America (according to the units sold on ebay).  In late 1980 or early 1981, they would have switched over to Hong Kong by then.

It bothers me a little when I see the test launch year for game systems being used as the year of release. I feel like the NES was not truly released in the U.S. until 1986 even though Nintendo officially says 1985 as the release date. Same with the Intellivision. Can we really say that this was a 1979 game console when 500 units or less were sold in a small test market? 

A small release is still a release.  If everything stopped after 1979, the console would have still been released.  Some markets didn't see Intellivisions until 1982.  The only reason it wasn't bigger in 1979 was because GI was having trouble making some of the chips.

It was more than one city in California.  Gottschalk was a chain with their head office in Fresno.  At the same time in 1979 Sylvania was selling Intellivisions in some eastern states and Intellivision was listed in the JC Penney catalog.

The highest Mattel serial is about 162k for those made in USA, but that doesn't count Sylvania models.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Is this thread Dead Rev?

It was a good idea to make the Database, but no updates have been made to the list in many years. I was looking for some info on the list and saw that none of the 20+ systems i sent are on the list. Another member said he sent a dozen serial numbers 3 years ago that are still not on it.

If your having trouble keeping up, maybe you can let someone take it over. I know your busy with life, the website, and games. The history of the games/systems is important. It was a good idea. Dont let the Database die.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 11:27 AM, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

Is this thread Dead Rev?

It was a good idea to make the Database, but no updates have been made to the list in many years. I was looking for some info on the list and saw that none of the 20+ systems i sent are on the list. Another member said he sent a dozen serial numbers 3 years ago that are still not on it.

If your having trouble keeping up, maybe you can let someone take it over. I know your busy with life, the website, and games. The history of the games/systems is important. It was a good idea. Dont let the Database die.

It would be cool to have the database here on AA somehow, this place is "permanent". If that is not possible, I'm open to some offline discussion about taking it over and putting it on a self-serve online spot somewhere.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:58 AM, First Spear said:

It would be cool to have the database here on AA somehow, this place is "permanent". If that is not possible, I'm open to some offline discussion about taking it over and putting it on a self-serve online spot somewhere.

Thats a good idea First Spear.

PM me. This thread has been abandoned.

I have spoke to dozens of members that have submitted their system serial numbers that have not been added. I alone submitted atleast 20... none are there.

From what they tell me, this thread has not been updated in over 8 years.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...