IGNORED

Is the Video Game Industry Dying?

pc gaming basically died (fine with me)

No it hasn't. But if we are pulling assertions straight out of our asses then I'd have to say that thanks to digital distribution(Steam, Desura, Humble Bundle, Kickstarter, etc.) pc gaming has actually picked up speed in the last few years.

Edited by mister_pal

No it hasn't. But if we are pulling assertions straight out of our asses then I'd have to say that thanks to digital distribution(Steam, Desura, Humble Bundle, Kickstarter, etc.) pc gaming has actually picked up speed in the last few years.

so you are pulling from your ass/ ok, well try visitng any retail store that sells pc games and you will see the dept has greatly shrunk from say 10 years ago, pc=snoze..

so you are pulling from your ass/ ok, well try visitng any retail store that sells pc games and you will see the dept has greatly shrunk from say 10 years ago, pc=snoze..

What you fail to realize is what the PC lost in retail space, it has made up for in the digital download realm. Steam itself is massive, and that's not counting the wide array of other download sites available.

Did you even read the last half of the second sentence? As Austin and I myself have previously stated pc gaming has made great strides in digital distribution, so no pc gaming isn't dead.

I gamed primarily on the PC in the 1990's until the early 2000's when the DC, PS2\GC\Xbox arrived. Thats when I fully switched to consoles. I hated patching and loading drivers and basically consoles were far better at that time and more reliable obviously.

Fast forward 10 years and now I'm gaming more and more on the PC again thanks to Steam and Gog who do all the work for you. :thumbsup:

Fast forward 10 years and now I'm gaming more and more on the PC again thanks to Steam and Gog who do all the work for you. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's pretty much it for me too. I have built a MASSIVE steam library in about 1.5 years. The sales on shiny things make me spend like a feind. My OK computer plays everything I want with no problems at all. In terms of consoles, I turned on my XBox 1 a few weeks ago to watch a DVD on the big screen. The Indie Bundles are IMO one of the avenues that may save the industry from total stagnation or perhaps better defined as terminal levels of stupid.

For example, some 'small time' games that have been a blast for me to play...

SPAZ (Space Pirates and Zombies): Yes, zombies in mutha-!@#$ing space! This combo of 2d shooter with exploration and light RPG elements has sucked up around 80 hours of playtime (thanks for telling me that Steam) :| They have a demo available too which gives you a good feel of the game. Last time I played it, they introduced bounty hunters. Irritate them enough and they pop in at random times to ruin your day. Kick thier arse in for doing it and you win respect which will make them back off and provide you with interesting new ship blueprints.

UnEpic: This one I grabbed during the "because we may" sale. It's got average reviews, but it's a 2D Metroid-vania type that doesn't take itself too seriously. However, the difficulty curve can be mean as all get out. A bit pricier than some, but still, the purchase felt like money well spent. (again, a demo is available)

Dungeon Defenders: This is one you can enjoy playing with a buddy. A 3rd person FPS merged with tower defense and lots of loot dropping action. The downside is that this dude has a CRAPTON of DLC. Some good, some bad, some I have no idea. If you like the base game (whch periodically sees a Steam sale or was available during one of the other indie bundle sales.) The DLC is wothwhile, but again, watch for sales on it. This one also seems to like having Steam associated with it.

Swift Stitch: An odd and rather simple title. It's interesting twitch action done in a vector graphics style. I picked this one up on sale as well via the Because we May sale. What is nice about it is the pick up and play aspect and the target of perfect twitch skills that appeals to the retro gamer in me. The vector-like graphics make me look at it and go, "Why ISN'T this being ported to the Vectrex?" Seriously though, try the demo and enjoy what it has to offer.

Lastly, GOG; these guys are depleating my wallet with the power of awesome. The fact that they are doing releases of current games is all the more reason to check there first. THEN check Steam. I bought "Tiny and Big" along with "Retro City Rampage" through GOG over Steam. Not to mention, Carmageddon is coming to GOG, "Can you DIG it!" :)

Hex.

[ Is thinking that THIS is a good Youtube rant in the making... ]

To me it already did. I just don't care about modern games anymore. I haven't played a game on my 360 in ages, and the only time I turn on my Wii is for my kid to play Mean Bean Machine on the VC. There wasn't a single game in any of the E3 press conferences that I thought I even *might* buy. Lots of dudes running around shooting stuff - zombies, terrorists, criminals, soldiers... zombie terrorist criminal soldiers... I just don't care about it anymore. I've shot my share of soldiers and zombies over the last 30 years, and I'm done. Most of it is that I just want to spend my time doing other things, although I will carve out a few minutes here and there for the 5200 HSC or some other retro gaming. Just a different phase of life, I guess, and different priorities. I have such precious little free time I'm extremely careful what I do with it. I was on the iOS bandwagon for a while, but my wife took my iTouch to use with the 3 year old so I don't even play that any more. On top if it, the move towards everything being subscriptions and DLC turns me off.

Fortunately, there are a billion retro games to satisfy the itch when I do want to play a game.

Is the industry dying? I don't think so. It's certainly changing, but there are still a lot of games being sold.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Yeah, that's pretty much it for me too. I have built a MASSIVE steam library in about 1.5 years. The sales on shiny things make me spend like a feind. My OK computer plays everything I want with no problems at all. In terms of consoles, I turned on my XBox 1 a few weeks ago to watch a DVD on the big screen. The Indie Bundles are IMO one of the avenues that may save the industry from total stagnation or perhaps better defined as terminal levels of stupid.

For example, some 'small time' games that have been a blast for me to play...

SPAZ (Space Pirates and Zombies): Yes, zombies in mutha-!@#$ing space! This combo of 2d shooter with exploration and light RPG elements has sucked up around 80 hours of playtime (thanks for telling me that Steam) :| They have a demo available too which gives you a good feel of the game. Last time I played it, they introduced bounty hunters. Irritate them enough and they pop in at random times to ruin your day. Kick thier arse in for doing it and you win respect which will make them back off and provide you with interesting new ship blueprints.

UnEpic: This one I grabbed during the "because we may" sale. It's got average reviews, but it's a 2D Metroid-vania type that doesn't take itself too seriously. However, the difficulty curve can be mean as all get out. A bit pricier than some, but still, the purchase felt like money well spent. (again, a demo is available)

Dungeon Defenders: This is one you can enjoy playing with a buddy. A 3rd person FPS merged with tower defense and lots of loot dropping action. The downside is that this dude has a CRAPTON of DLC. Some good, some bad, some I have no idea. If you like the base game (whch periodically sees a Steam sale or was available during one of the other indie bundle sales.) The DLC is wothwhile, but again, watch for sales on it. This one also seems to like having Steam associated with it.

Swift Stitch: An odd and rather simple title. It's interesting twitch action done in a vector graphics style. I picked this one up on sale as well via the Because we May sale. What is nice about it is the pick up and play aspect and the target of perfect twitch skills that appeals to the retro gamer in me. The vector-like graphics make me look at it and go, "Why ISN'T this being ported to the Vectrex?" Seriously though, try the demo and enjoy what it has to offer.

Lastly, GOG; these guys are depleating my wallet with the power of awesome. The fact that they are doing releases of current games is all the more reason to check there first. THEN check Steam. I bought "Tiny and Big" along with "Retro City Rampage" through GOG over Steam. Not to mention, Carmageddon is coming to GOG, "Can you DIG it!" :)

Hex.

[ Is thinking that THIS is a good Youtube rant in the making... ]

Exactly what I do! Check GOG first cause its always DRM free, including Witcher 2, then I check Steam. Lastly I'll check consoles. My Steam library is pretty large too and thanks for the recommendations. Is that your tag on steam? Funny cause everything I get there is usually under 10 or 20 bucks. The only game in the past two years that I paid full price for was Skyrim and I still got it for cheaper a few months after release (40 bucks).

A few worthwhiles that I like:

Legend of Grimrock

Dungeons of Dredmor

VVVVVV

King's Bounty games (not indie but love the HOMM style gameplay)

There's a ton of other indie type stuff out there that are really well done like 'retail' games but without the 60 dollar price tag.

Edited by cimerians

Exactly what I do! Check GOG first cause its always DRM free, including Witcher 2, then I check Steam. Lastly I'll check consoles. My Steam library is pretty large too and thanks for the recommendations. Is that your tag on steam? Funny cause everything I get there is usually under 10 or 20 bucks. The only game in the past two years that I paid full price for was Skyrim and I still got it for cheaper a few months after release (40 bucks).

A few worthwhiles that I like:

Legend of Grimrock

Dungeons of Dredmor

VVVVVV

King's Bounty games (not indie but love the HOMM style gameplay)

There's a ton of other indie type stuff out there that are really well done like 'retail' games but without the 60 dollar price tag.

Egads... the way you and others are talking, I may have to get rid of this Airbook and surrender to the dark side of Windows 8!!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Egads... the way you and others are talking, I may have to get rid of this Airbook and surrender to the dark side of Windows 8!!

Mendon

Yes! Its really great. I should have bought Borderlands 1 on Steam. I'm getting the new one on there.

By the way, the Mac has a really nice library on Steam. Its gaining a lot of support but still not nearly as large as Windows.

My issue sometimes is I kind of want to keep the series on the platform it started on. :P but I'm starting to break that habbit.

Win8 will be more of a tablet operating system. My Dell rep told me that Win7 will remain on all desktops and laptops.

Hex is correct you dont need a beast of a machine to game except maybe for "retail games" like Batman Arkham City etc.

I have a 50 foot HDMI cable and my PC is like a 'console' sitting next to the large screen TV with a wireless 360 controller. :)

I have a nice adjustable tray\stand for a keyboard and mouse to use from Target and its perfect height for a couch or recliner chair etc:

http://www.target.co...le/-/A-12759974 (for mouse games or games that require keyboard and mouse. Luckily the 360 pad is supported by a lot of games)

Wow can't believe I forgot about GOG considering how awesome it is. Also are both of your names here also your steam names?

Yup I'll add you if thats yours.

Edited by cimerians

What you fail to realize is what the PC lost in retail space, it has made up for in the digital download realm. Steam itself is massive, and that's not counting the wide array of other download sites available.

You got me there did not realize that, yes it is huge!

What others have said. I used to PC more then console. I still console a lot (love my 360) cause I don't have a good PC, but the massive number of titles available on Steam and GOG is awsome. The only drawback is download only, but I have confidence the sites are going to be around for a while.

Annnd GOG gives you installers, and steam lets you create backups of your files, so even if they go away, you should be able to play from your backups (that you yourself will be responsible for maintaining).

Yup.

They also give you manuals, art, wallpapers, music and other nice extras at GOG. Steam does give you stuff too.

Steam and GOG really have made me put away all my physical copies of my old PC games. I now have an external USB drive with all my PC games on it for backup. Manuals and all.

On top if it, the move towards everything being subscriptions and DLC turns me off.
To be clear, I do like digital downloads of games for iOS/portable systems and computer games. For console games I just can't get into it. I've bought a fair amount of XBLA/VC games but it seems like they could go away at any second, and I know the systems won't last forever. On the other hand, I have no desire to carry around a pocket full of cartridges. For a portable system, digital download is definitely the way to go.

It's stuck in the same rut as the film industry. True blockbuster movies now cost more than $200 million to make and have to generate ludicrous levels of box-office to recoup the investment. Game Industry has the same issues. They believe you need massive development teams that cost massive amounts of money to make a AAA game to make massive amounts of money. But the developers don't see the return on the investment anymore, so devs are fleeing to mobile devices, social networking titles, and marketplace titles because they can see a better ROI. The fee to play concept and the move to online only titles will cause problems in the long run (IMHO). With Publishers pulling online servers, the long term viability of those games is iffy at best.

The industry isn't dying, it's evolving into a new beast. I think retro gaming may win out over what ever creeps out of the sludge. :) I'm a late adopter to PS3 and lover the machine. But the PS4, Durango and Wii-U? I have zero interest in those platforms. Especially with the business models that are being touted for them.

• Like 1