IGNORED

Service Offered: Original Xbox 1 modding/PCB repair/HDD upgrade service

mikeosoft

hey there Mike,

I have two brain teaser questions for ya:

1. Are you aware of a tool that will unlock any locked xbox1 drive without being attached to the host motherboard? I have a couple of perfectly good hard drives but not the xboxes they had been locked to. is there a way to fix this?

2. my second problem is I have a debug xbox that will not play commercial games so I can not soft mod it. I bought a kit to flash the eeprom or whatever it is on any xbox that has a bad hard drive, I got it from the UK, you may even have been the one who gave me the link... I am in NO WAY technically savvy with this. how can I get this xbox, which has twice the ram, to be my main xbox, is there a way to soft mod it so I can get it going? tutorial link? advice? magic wand?

I decided to post this publicly to give you a free bump but also in case others have the same questions now or in the future.

hey there Mike,

I have two brain teaser questions for ya:

1. Are you aware of a tool that will unlock any locked xbox1 drive without being attached to the host motherboard? I have a couple of perfectly good hard drives but not the xboxes they had been locked to. is there a way to fix this?

2. my second problem is I have a debug xbox that will not play commercial games so I can not soft mod it. I bought a kit to flash the eeprom or whatever it is on any xbox that has a bad hard drive, I got it from the UK, you may even have been the one who gave me the link... I am in NO WAY technically savvy with this. how can I get this xbox, which has twice the ram, to be my main xbox, is there a way to soft mod it so I can get it going? tutorial link? advice? magic wand?

I decided to post this publicly to give you a free bump but also in case others have the same questions now or in the future.

Hey Mark

1. I recall a few years back on xboxhacker.net when the forums section was still fresh and rampant with "xbox 1 hackers" there was one security company offering a 50 dollar "unlock" service for locked harddisks. There was a serious debate on whether or not they were legit, but no one in the thread was willing or needed to drop that money on their services. If I recall they were also located in the UK so shipping was expensive and slow...

Also I remember reading once someone had a 320gb drive that they accidentally locked, and luckily found a spare drive and swapped the board on the bottom to the drive spindle frame, which worked. I forget what brand it was, but I recall after he/she posted the news, others tried the same thing with different manufacture drives with no luck.

I will look into it for you and get back to you as it is something I've been meaning to research myself as someone somewhere must have a method. There's tons of "security firms" who used to offer such services for clients and I feel that harddrive manufactures likely have a master code or reset protocol failsafe built into certain pre approved ATA controller cards... The trick is securing such a device or application, which given the fact the hardware is almost obsolete today, shouldn't be impossible by any means, and could help the community at large.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I've been busy with repairing my motorcycle and selling my car I am planning a few overnight trips into arizona and am overwhelmed and backed up.

2. dude awesome i've never seen in person a debug unit, or worked on one. If i was you here's what I'd do in this order:

1. There are programs that used to allow one to change the default.xbe header from "retail" to "debug" which might allow you to run hexen's disc from default.xbe on the dvd rom disc. Once you bridge the write enable points on the mobo it'd just be case of flashing the TSOP with a desired bios. Be aware as far as I recall, debug xbox's have blank eeproms.
  2. If that doesn't work, i would look into "liveinfo beta 3" which should build an eeprom you can then flash with your programmer. This could brick the xbox so be careful.
  3. Finally, you can try booting with raincoat, but from what i remember debug xbox's don't like to run anything not signed by MS...

Is it a "live debug xbox" or a regular debug xbox, I ask because:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=440595

ok so locked hd = trash waiting to be recycled... check

debug xbox needs an eprom? I have the eprom write kit, I thought all I need to do is be able to FTP to the son of a bitch.. seems like MS would have that in fact there is something in the menu about a network connection but what the hell is the un/pw?

ok so locked hd = trash waiting to be recycled... check

Might not be total trash yet, though, Mark - - start searching for "xboxhdm" and how to reprogram eeprom.bin files.

It requires making a bootable CD, hooking the hard drive up to a PC with a spare IDE slot, and messing with the eeprom.bin files (since you don't have the original eeprom.bin files), but appears do-able, just will take some elbow grease . . .

;)

will do. I have a couple of them, would be nice to get 'em back but they also were not that expensive so if they can't be unlocked, not too huge a loss

If you an afford it, it might be okay to abandon them, then, too - - looking deeper here over the last bit, it appears it might require extracting the eeprom information from the target motherboard with a reader, and then crafting a new eeprom.bin from that.

Do-able, for sure, but personally there is a cost/return ratio for all this stuff that starts to become unbearable after a point . . .

From what I recall the standard modchip will not work on a debug Xbox, but that info might be wrong. I'd ask on xboxscene either scrambles1980 or hemdial, they know a ton of info on the original Xbox and usually stay quiet until someone asks.

As for the FTP, I just remembered the easiest method. Get a hold of the Microsoft dev kit install for windows xp which will allow you to communicate with the debug Xbox system and reun programs from commands sent from pc. Again I've never used or seen a debug Xbox or worked with the ms dev environment but if I recall the programs used to be located on xbins.

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone reading this thread and is considering buying a box from Mike, do it.

Mike was in constant communication with me about its status (i.e. what he had available, prep., etc...) and sent it out in under 24 hours after I sent payment. I received it in perfect condition. Not sure if it matters, but I am in Canada, so no difficulties with international shipping.

• Like 1

2TB xbox loaded systems SALE

IMG_20130117_103619_zps7ad840e3.jpg

IMG_20130117_123253_zpsb235f627.jpg

Xbox systems with 2tb drives. I am going to make these for people from now on.

$225 shipped Continental US.

Xbox system only, clock cap removed, 2tb drive installed, 80wire ATA cable upgraded, UnleashX installed as default dash, Evox installed, xbmc4xbox latest stable build installed, coinops 5 R3 installed full plus addon packs, vision installed. System formatted for 2 1TB partitons F and G, each formatted 64kb sectors.

Only have plans for 4 or 5 of these systems, as I am trying to maximize current prices of 2TB wd drives at frys.

Edited by mikeosoft

• 1 month later...

I just got hold of a few more 1.6 xbox, will offer 2tb systems with these for anyone who needs. $225 shipped CONUS

can you explain the difference between the different xbox1 models, why do you need 1.6 to upgrade to a 2TB HD? that's a great price by the way.

no nothing special about 1.6 xbox, just so happens this is all the models i can find at the moment. Since no TSOP, no flash. Softmod only or chip. Softmod is more reliable as i don't like sapping voltage from the LPC on the mobo also 1.6 compat bios' are flakey in my experience.

no nothing special about 1.6 xbox, just so happens this is all the models i can find at the moment. Since no TSOP, no flash. Softmod only or chip. Softmod is more reliable as i don't like sapping voltage from the LPC on the mobo also 1.6 compat bios' are flakey in my experience.

ahh ok, I didn't think there should be any difference. where are you buying your 2TB hard drives from? or is that a trade secret... so far Amazon seems to be the lowest I've found except for the occasional sale find on ebay.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to put in a good word for Mike- he's local and he just got my Trusty XBOXs working when I had almost lost hope of ever seeing Coinops working on them. Not only did he fix the problem (BIOS), but he also replaced one of the hard drives with a 2TB (with IDE to SATA adapter), AND patched the XBEs to work with the upgraded processor and memory. He has also been very responsive to any minor issues that have popped up with various games/emus. I will let him post details on the Trusty XBOX fixes unless he wants me to do it (just let me know, Mike). Anyway, Mike is a very knowledgeable guy and I am a very satisfied customer!

Edited by moving2

• 3 weeks later...