IGNORED

"Mr. Do's Castle" owners list!

It's long been rumoured that "Mr. Do's Castle" had a limited Canadian release; just how many owners are out there? I'll start:

two -- both have a white label. One came as a surprise in an eBay lot from a seller in Saskatchewan ten years ago; I bought the other in a Value Village store in Red Deer around 2000. Neither was boxed (nor came with instructions).

I believe that Nir Dary (Israel) has an "original" cartridge as well.

Anyone else?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Looks like there's one on eBay now but with a repro label. Hell, the whole thing might even be a repro job, as clearly the cart has been opened at some point, as evidenced by the pics in the listing! Still thought I'd share (not mine)...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192604389254

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/20/2018 at 11:34 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

perhaps a couple of dumps are in order, almost all the roms floating around are 5200 conversions?

I have one of these cartridges and can probably dump it at some point.

On 6/4/2012 at 6:33 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Anyone else?

Mine is the Canadian white label variant but was purchased via eBay a few years back from a US seller.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

As a Canadian, I've always wanted one of these, but they are so pricey when they come up!

I purchased the last of my white-label copies in an eBay lot (of a ton of A8 equipment) from a seller in Saskatoon ten years ago for $86. I haven't seen another one in a lot like that since then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 12:29 PM, 8bitguy1 said:

As a Canadian, I've always wanted one of these, but they are so pricey when they come up!

I definitely overpaid for mine, but I am not Canadian so my chances of finding one in the wild are basically nil.  I tried to acquire at least one US prototype and a few copies of the Canadian release previously but was outbid every time.  I think one of them was owned by AtariLeaf (which he mentioned in this thread above but later sold shortly thereafter) although I could be mistaken.  Without a lot of luck, it's hard to acquire a legitimate copy of this game cheaply.  Even the diskette release is very rare and fairly expensive due to it being a dual-format flippy disk that draws attention from Atari and Commodore gamers and collectors.

I'd certainly like to know where the box (is there only one, or have two now been found?) was found. I wonder if Parker Bros. had a few boxes made up, and then shipped the whole lot to Canada when the market collapsed? It would make sense that the Canadian division would have just packaged whatever was left in plastic baggies and sold them like that.

• 2 months later...

I recently picked this up from a local seller. It was in a box of 2600 stuff. I bought the lot to practice repair of the consoles. I realized it was 'Very Rare+' on AtariAge. I'm not really into collecting or investing. Looking on eBay its hard to get an idea what its worth as boxed ones for the 2600 are not there or on completed listings. I realize its the US version and not Canada. Any thoughts, ideas, value, offers?

Scott

IMG_1892.jpg

Edited by mgas

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

I'd certainly like to know where the box (is there only one, or have two now been found?) was found. I wonder if Parker Bros. had a few boxes made up, and then shipped the whole lot to Canada when the market collapsed? It would make sense that the Canadian division would have just packaged whatever was left in plastic baggies and sold them like that.

I can only speculate as to how and why this ended up being sold in Canada as a cartridge release, but there's no reason for me to suspect that it wasn't a normal boxed retail release, given the fact that a box and manual do actually exist.  Only one or two boxes have turned up, but that's not too surprising given how rare the cartridge is.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:35 AM, MrFish said:

You're on the wrong forum bub. We're talking about the 8-bit computer version of Mr. Do's Castle, which is way more rare than the 2600 version.

If anyone is keeping track, a loose 8-bit cart just sold for 355 CAD (280 USD) on 1/4/22 via eBay.

• Like 1