IGNORED

need help viewing SD card movies on Wii

I am trying to view full movies on Wii's photo channel, using an SD card. I know that this can be done, at least in theory. So I open up the photo channel, and I can see that the video is there- it comes up as an .avi, which is what it is. But it also says that it cannot be played. How do I convert the video file into a playable format? I don't want to hack my Wii. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I don't think a stock Wii can play user video files, though I do remember playing AAC music files on mine before I started homebrewing. If you wanted to instal the homebrew channel you could get WiiMC which will let you play almost anything, though the Wii chugs on h264 encoded video. The Wii plays XVID/DIVX files quite smoothly though.

I don't think a stock Wii can play user video files, though I do remember playing AAC music files on mine before I started homebrewing. If you wanted to instal the homebrew channel you could get WiiMC which will let you play almost anything, though the Wii chugs on h264 encoded video. The Wii plays XVID/DIVX files quite smoothly though.

Thank you. My wife doesn't want to see this Wii hacked- if we get more money this summer, she may let me get a second one to mess around with. Now, my thought regarding viewing videos on a stock Wii is this: if videos from the cel phone can be viewed, which I've successfully done, then couldn't I (at least in theory) change a long .avi to whatever format the cel phone video is?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KrazyKaiju isn't correct. Photo Channel supports .mov or .avi files in the original Photo Channel (Which is what I use for MP3 support). The update added support for .m4a files (And switched MP3 support to AAC support).

Never had any luck either. Stuck a couple of videos in both file formats on there before and wasn't able to play them. I guess it's finicky like the Xbox 360 and PSP are when it comes to videos (Unlike the PS3 that plays everything I've ever thrown at it as long as the file extension was supported). Since I was just trying it out of curiousity, I never investigated further.

It's even a bit picky with MP3's. I have several songs on my list that give error messages when I try them. I guess something like the bitrate is too high or something and the Photo Channel isn't capable enough to handle playing them unlike any other MP3 supported device in my hosuehold.

My guess is you'll want to find a converter that will let you convert it to a compatible Wii format with everything set just right by the program itself to satisfy the Wii. That's what I had to do to get videos to play on my PSP despite the files already being in a supported format. Found a video converter with a PSP setting and finally was able to play videos on it after running them through it.

Edited by Atariboy

My wife was of the same mind and then one day I just went ahead and homebrewed it after she had not been playing for awhile. The next time she decided to play she didn't even notice anything was different until I showed her how to play games from a hard drive without changing discs and she was hooked. It's super easy, worth doing, and WiiMC is fantastic.

Thank you. My wife doesn't want to see this Wii hacked- if we get more money this summer, she may let me get a second one to mess around with. Now, my thought regarding viewing videos on a stock Wii is this: if videos from the cel phone can be viewed, which I've successfully done, then couldn't I (at least in theory) change a long .avi to whatever format the cel phone video is?

"hacking" sounds bad but in reality its a small thing (on the wii). WiiMC is really a great video player, i use it all the time, BUT if you really dont want to hack the wii there is an alternative. If you have a Mac get a program called Wii Transfer (pm me if u cant find it) it will let you stream almost any video from your mac to the Internet channel. I used to use it all the time and its not bad (but not as good or convenient as Wiimc). If you dont have a mac, I suppose you could set up a server on your pc and just manually convert any video to .flv *(flash) format. and again use the internet channel to stream the videos.

This is a good point as well. It's not hacking--it's selecting files and clicking OK a bunch of times. It is totally idiotproof and you can trust me on that one, as I am an idiot when it comes to this kind of thing! I used the Indiana Jones pwnz "hack" and while the name might make you feel l33t, the actual process is something a third-grader could pull off.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you brick your Wii. (They all say this but man, I don't know what you would have to do to mess it up.)

• 3 weeks later...