IGNORED

Top 100 Atari 8 bit games?

macgoo

The problem with the Atarimania list -

I see 5 in the Top 20 that don't deserve that status, and probably another dozen post-2000 releases that aren't in the list, some of which would be pretty high up the list.

Personally I don't agree with all of them, I've never even heard of some of them. But it's the closest thing to a "grouped mindset" of what people think about Atari games. There's probably been a game author or 2 who has self promoted their own game constantly.

I'm sure though if you gave your top 100, there would be plenty that any one individual would disagree with. I tried doing my top 100 songs once and all I got was comments from people of "you've left this one out and that one definitely doesn't deserve to be in there". Well, the ones that I left out I'd often not heard of or didn't deserve in my mind to be there and the ones that I liked, others didn't. It's so personal, nobody will give a completely fair 100.

Maybe we need a top 100 which is of "grouped opinion" and then a small panel of experts then cast their eyes over, looking for anything which is way out of place?

So no war games nor adventure games allowed, that's pretty weak.

FSII

Agent USA

Alley Cat

M.U.L.E.

Alternate Reality The City/Dungeon

The Eidolon

Mercenary

Bruce Lee

Draconus

The Tail of Beta Lyrae

Flip and Flop

Hard Hat Mack

Star Raiders

Kennedy Approach

The Halley Project

Universe I

The Seven Cities of Gold

Lode Runners Rescue

Spare Change

221B Baker Street

Basil the great mouse detective

Trailblazer

The final Legacy

Hypnotic Land

Pondering about Max’s

Edited by high voltage

So no war games nor adventure games allowed, that's pretty weak.

Only because gameplay videos of someone playing an Infocom adventure or some SSI strategy game with ROM graphics is not interesting to watch :) I'm just hoping for things I can record and people will go "that looks fun!!" and either seek out real hardware on e_shitonyou_bay or via emulation or something :)

The Games Retro Section magazine covered just about every obscure machine as well as well known machines EXCEPT the A8, I think this is just so wrong. How can people not bother to do a top 100 for this machine? There are 1000s of games in the A8 library, and some are only available on the A8 too like Star Raiders.

I want to have the most unbiased retro website compiled :)

25 of the best. Some games would earn to be placed better by their "quality", but the "replay factor" is a quality factor aswell...

Boulder Dash

Drop Zone

Yoomp!

The Last Starfighter

International Karate

Archon

Encounter

The Eidolon

Spelunker

FLAK

Bruce Lee

Bandits

Alley Cat

Montezuma's Revenge

Dimension X

Koronis Rift

Gyruss

Ocean Detox

Great American Cross Country Road Race

Zorro

Joust

The Goonies

Ghostbusters

Master of the Lamps

Pooyan

Would love to see some more of you Atari gamers in the High Score Club here on atariage! All levels of player welcome - it's fun and occasionally sane :-o

I wish atarimania would allow the top 200 to be listed. Checkout the High Score Club's ratings and records posts too (only covers played games) :)

Some of my obscurer favourites:

Ixion

Bug Attack

Zone X

Mediator

Whistler's Brother

Aquatron

Lost Tomb

Trolls and Tribulations

River Rat

Whomper Stomper

Diamonds (ESC)

Special Delivery

Diamond Mine (Roklan)

Lunar Leeper

Frogger II: Threedeep

Killer Cycle

Genesis

Dredis

Ataritris II

Ninja Master

Tanium

Dawn Raider

LA Olympics 1984

Zone Ranger

Edited by therealbountybob

Pondering about Max’s

Hi ;)

We just played this in the HSC, do you have the original artwork for the game, would love to see it? Did you work out how to play the game.. took ages for me to even do a few screens on The Dream but am totally stumped on PAM and the Bar Room Brawl parts?

Any help appreciated :)

Pondering about Max’s

Hi ;)

We just played this in the HSC, do you have the original artwork for the game, would love to see it? Did you work out how to play the game.. took ages for me to even do a few screens on The Dream but am totally stumped on PAM and the Bar Room Brawl parts?

Any help appreciated :)

No I don't own it anymore sorry

I hate top 'anything lists', normally they are spiced with what is the most talked about or the one that seems popular in a group but not always what the person actually likes, sort of a peer pressure list.

And yes, many forget to look at all the titles and not just the main ones from the day...

Once you get that sorted its left to people constantly complaining about what you chose, "how could you say X game is so good"..Bah...

What I do find silly and its no disrespect to the OP, people asking for lists of what others like to add to sites, surely if its your site there's some inference that YOU should have played them at the very least. For all the other previous reasons any lists put up on the site are purely pointless most of the time since each has their own idea so who is that list aimed at?

For me lists like that are just useful for new people to have a browse at some software initially and then to have the good sense to look at everything else in their own time and to come to their own decisions.

More fun if you make an organized tourney of it, Say, take all the games of a particular type, ie attached base verticle shooters, like Space Invaders, and play them head to head, taking one game per day. Everyone who plays that day can comment on what they liked/disliked. The next day you take another similar game and do the same. I would suggest in the order they were released. Over the course of a week or so, one builds an idea of what makes "good gaming" in that particular genre. One would try to avoid comparing it directly to other known games, just stating their opinion on the game itself. At the end everyone who has played more or less consistently, gets to cast their vote and pick their favorites, reflecting on their own and others previous comments. This gives a bit more perspective.and keeps people a bit more honest.

More fun if you make an organized tourney of it, Say, take all the games of a particular type, ie attached base verticle shooters, like Space Invaders, and play them head to head, taking one game per day. Everyone who plays that day can comment on what they liked/disliked. The next day you take another similar game and do the same. I would suggest in the order they were released. Over the course of a week or so, one builds an idea of what makes "good gaming" in that particular genre. One would try to avoid comparing it directly to other known games, just stating their opinion on the game itself. At the end everyone who has played more or less consistently, gets to cast their vote and pick their favorites, reflecting on their own and others previous comments. This gives a bit more perspective.and keeps people a bit more honest.

I was thinking of something like this too - there would have to be a few miscellaneous categories to cover the games that perhaps don't sit easily in category like Alley Cat, Necromancer, Drelbs etc. In the HSC I try and throw in a few bonus games which are similar to the main title; to check them out, occasionally this turns up a gem like Roklan's Diamond Mine (pun intended :grin: ). If anyone thinks this is a good idea you're welcome to post threads for best games of each type under the HSC subforum; perhaps this would be better than swamping the main forum and would be less likely to be scrolled off the first page - I keep the current HSC threads pinned so this would be fine; just a thought :)

Hypnotic Land

Hm. Well, this is a first. :)

Not a bad game mind :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...