IGNORED

Season 9 Round 7 - Jackal

CGQuarterly

Well, after dying in just about every possible manner (nice touch with the one shack that you expect to have a POW but instead, a tank...lol), I managed to eke out 273,150. Not bad, but not sure if I wanna go through that more than a few times!...this game is a lot more fun with two players (aren't they all?) but still a great game. I'll give it a shot again this week before cutoff, but since we've already got a wrapped score, I just don't see it happening...I remember that last boss is pretty hard, especially if you've only got grenades!

I played worse and died again in the last boss :(

I'm not in the mood for a second try today. So that's it. My final score is still 408,080 and I'll beat the game another day.

That is a very good game. I played just a couple of times when I had my nes, I almost forgot entirely this game. Good to rediscover it.

I'm not in the mood for a second try today. So that's it. My final score is still 408,080 and I'll beat the game another day. That is a very good game. I played just a couple of times when I had my nes, I almost forgot entirely this game. Good to rediscover it.

Yeah, I forgot about it myself as well for at least the last ten years or so. Ended up revisiting it about a month ago, and finally finished it for the first time as well. It feels good to complete a game you were never able to as a kid (or even as a young adult). :)

I'm not in the mood for a second try today. So that's it. My final score is still 408,080 and I'll beat the game another day. That is a very good game. I played just a couple of times when I had my nes, I almost forgot entirely this game. Good to rediscover it.

Yeah, I forgot about it myself as well for at least the last ten years or so. Ended up revisiting it about a month ago, and finally finished it for the first time as well. It feels good to complete a game you were never able to as a kid (or even as a young adult). :)

I also like very much to revisit games, especially nes games because it was the platform that made me a good player. Jackal was one of the first games I played, even the dpad wasn't 100% confortable at that time...

At the end of my Nes (it ended smashed by stones, a good/sad history) I was playing very well. So there are some Nes games that I hardly can play better today and games that I can enjoy much more now due to years of gaming experience. :)

• Like 1

So!...some interesting things about good ol' Jackal...as I mentioned before, I remembered this game from the arcade, but not as Jackal. It was called Top Gunner...here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSMehr6s-tU

And then, I found a link to Jackal as well, cool as I have never seen it before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSMehr6s-tU

Probably the biggest difference was that in all the machines I played as a teen, there was NO music...not until you reached somewhere around the first riverboat. Then the music would start playing, but it would come in kinda faint...which was awesome, because of the stark contrast to no music. This game was generally regarded as one of the toughest around for the time (far more difficult than Contra), so I thought I 'must' have been near the end. Nope...not even close! (that music sequence starts around the 4:42 mark on the second video)

As you can see, a big difference is that your splash damage is in an X shape rather than a + shape...I found the X to be much more helpful in the arcade, as you could take out turrets on the angles a lot easier.

Good ol' youtube!

Edited by atarilovesyou

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay. We're still living out of boxes as we settle in to our new digs, but the HSC must go on!

Austin 484,220 +9

Liduario 408,080 +6

atarilovesyou 273,150 +3

asponge 259,230 +1

roadrunner 120,300 +1

PeculiarSatyr 100,800 +1

jblenkle 18,900 +1

1. Austin 54

2. peculiarsatyr 35

3. asponge 22

4. atarilovesyou 17

5(t). roadrunner 7

5(t). jblenkle 7

7. Liduario 6

8. theKLT 2

9(t). Jibbajaba 1

9(t). cparsley 1

9(t). mihcael 1

9(t). LarcenTyler 1

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...

This was my first attempt at maxing out the score for Jackal.  The scoreboard rolls over and there's no seventh digit.  My left hand started to hurt during the second loop so I decided to stop soon after rolling the score.  The second loop is more difficult in certain spots.  I included a picture at the start of Loop 2, the start of Loop 3, and a couple once I got into the millions.

IMG_20200803_191727[1].jpg

IMG_20200803_200339[1].jpg

IMG_20200803_201009[1].jpg

IMG_20200803_202256[1].jpg

18 hours ago, bubufubu said:

This was my first attempt at maxing out the score for Jackal.

Great score, that's impressive!  Jackal has become one of my favorites since I first played it here.  I've been debating including it next season.

On 8/4/2020 at 3:26 PM, asponge said:

Great score, that's impressive!  Jackal has become one of my favorites since I first played it here.  I've been debating including it next season.

Thanks!  Blowing up stuff and rescuing hostages is good, mindless fun.  It's too bad that Jackal puts so much stress on your left hand, but it was interesting to play Loop 2.  The final tank boss is even harder.  I'm for its inclusion next season.