IGNORED

VIC-20 Questions.

Wonder if they have an English page? Otherwise I'm gonna have to get my German buddy to help me out!

I wonder if this would help:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fretro-donald.de%2Fsinchai-shop%2Findex.php%3Fmain_page%3Dproduct_info%26products_id%3D77

Why do I need the 32K expansion?

Most of the best software needs an 8K or 16K expansion. The 32K card covers both of those needs.

It also places 8K of RAM in BLK5 to allow dumped ROMs to be played. Such ROMs are easily downloaded from the net and loaded via tape, disk or SD card

It does not emulate a 3K expansion card, whereas the MegaCart does.

It depends what you want to do with your Vic.

There are a number of games that require more RAM.

Tricky thing about the Vic is that the 3K RAM works differently than the larger memory versions.

So, if you want to cover all the bases, you need a 3K and a larger (32k) expansion.

If you have the 32K expansion, it's my understanding (not sure, but I've heard this) that you can also copy cartridge roms into the RAM and then play them, so it makes it kind of like a multicart.

Also, the kualest homebrew ever, Realms of Quest 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMBlCaDlD8

requires a 32k expansion and a disk drive (or floppy emulator).

That again, is one of the nice things about the Megacart. Not only does it come with just about every Vic-20 (might be every?) ROM, it can emulate any of the RAM expansions also.

Of course, if you plan on using your VIC for mostly original carts, you won't need any RAM.

desiv

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

An unexpanded VIC has 5K of RAM including the screen and system space leaving you with about 3.5K for your programs, great if you fancy entering a size coding competition but not so great if you have something bigger in mind. And for playing games, some need 3K expansion, others use 8K or 16K and i'd assume any recent RAM expansion would be switchable (the RAM configuration of the VIC changes as it's expanded).

I stand corrected, apparently Final Expansion 3 is available again:

http://retro-donald....&products_id=77

The FE3 gives you the extra RAM and can present SD cards as though they are disks. It includes the IEC cable too. Obviously this WONT work on anything but a VIC.

Guys/Gals,

Would you recommend a FE3? It looks like the "END-ALL" in VIC-20 coolness... Am I wrong? Wished you didn't have to build it! :mad: Not that I can't, more like I don't want to...

JR

I own two uIECs, the MegaCart and two of the 32K cards, I can recommend all of them.

I don't own an FE3, but I intend to order at least one later in the year. I expect it won't replace the MegaCart since that provides all memory options as well as all ROM games available from a menu. I do like that the FE3 means I don't have to keep an uIEC connected.

If I had to choose between a MegaCart and an FE3 I would choose the MegaCart. The convenience of the ROM games plus the DOS wedge outweight the convenience of having SD card functionality built in on the FE3.

A roundabout patch to make disk operations easier to type in. A "wedge" is a small resident program that is constantly checking what you type in against a list of special commands...such as LOAD"@$",8 to display a disk directory without erasing a program in memory.