IGNORED

Elansar, an adventure game for Falcon 030

Elansar is a "Point & Click" like adventure game with high quality raytraced graphics.

I've been working on this game on my spare time since two years, making all the graphics, music, story and programming myself.

My goal is to release the game on old computers and video game consoles, including the Atari Falcon 030, the Atari Jaguar, and others to define.

The game will be sold on CD for most of the platforms and in cartridge version for the Jaguar.

The game is available for preorders on Atari Falcon 030 !

Check the project page here : http://onorisoft.fre...sar.htm#English

A video of the game running on Falcon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHpCb4GLaLg

• Like 3

for those who ordered, would you agree to wait a bit longer and have a german translated version, plus a Firebee & CTPCI-Radeon version in True Color added to the original Falcon version ?

so all the "atari computer" versions would be on one and unique cd.

or should I sell a separate version for true color ? (available later)

Edited by Orion_

Such a nice looking game and an incredible feat for a single person, congratulations on your work! I would love to order a copy and play it but I don't have an Atari Falcon. I was wondering if you would consider an Amiga port? I think it would be possible to make a game like this run even on a standard CD32, if not then any AGA Amiga with 2MB or more extra RAM should be suitable. There are even similar games which run on the 1MB CDTV, and personally if I were to make a game like this (which I've wanted to do for years after being inspired by Myst and The Labyrinth of Time)I'd make two versions of the game for CD32 and CDTV on the same disc, the code would be practically the same but the graphics for the CDTV version would be reduced to 320x480 in 4,096 colours.

Can you tell us what language you coded it in? I'm only curious because I like to consider how it would be ported to different platforms, it's something I'd like to do myself very much.

I have a Playstation and Dreamcast as well so I'd be interested in purchasing the game for those platforms too.

Edited by Moya Jackie

Hello Moya Jackie,

Thanks for the kind words about my game and my work :)

Unfortunately I don't own or knows anything about amiga machines, so I doubt I will make an amiga version.

The game is codec in C language, so it's easily portable because there is at least a C compiler for almost every machine.

The only thing to do is to adapt the graphics in the machine format, and rewrite all the graphics/drawing routine, as well as mouse/pad input, or sound output, depending on the machine specific hardware.

I think I will make a playstation 1 version, but it require that you have a modchip or a boot cd, because burned cd-r doesn't work straight on this machine.

I don't know very much the dreamcast, but if more people prefer this machine, I will try to learn it and make a version for it.

for those who ordered, would you agree to wait a bit longer and have a german translated version, plus a Firebee & CTPCI-Radeon version in True Color added to the original Falcon version ?

I have no problem waiting. I'm used to waiting for Atari stuff :P

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What about ST(E) version - using some high-color graphic like Photochrome, Spectrum 512 ?

Of course, if low res: 320x199 is not big problem.

This would need solving some interesting things - in first place mouse cursor displaying in high-color mode.

Of course, for hard disk users only.

PM me if you want discuss more about.

Recent updates concerning Photochrome - Doug (0riginal author) has resurfaced in the Atari Scene

and is doing good stuff.

You might just want to check out the thread over at AtariForum before making a decision. :)

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20692

(mostly the last half of the thread)

Orion_, don't forget to support 260STs with 256k of RAM while you're at it! And STs with PAK/30! And STs with 68010! I mean, sure, it'll be some more work for you (just some sync stuff though), but it'll be TOTALLY worth it! I'm sure you'll sell 2.2317467814 copies more! :P

• Like 2

Actually, supporting the 68030 and up is not a bad idea for game makers. After all, you'd hit

the TT030, the Falcon, Medusa, Hades, Milan, as well as every '030 accelerator board out

there. :)

As far as my first comment/suggestion goes though, the changes were in software to be

used to take advantage of ST's and STe's. Nothing would have to be done to the machines

themselves, so its not like support for some esoteric piece of hardware would have to be

done.

Just a thought, thanks.

DarkLord > I doesn't work like that, it's not a processor thing, it's a graphic compatibility thing, you cannot use special tricky stuff that photochrome use on any atari, it only works on ST.

If you want a st/tt/falcon etc... compatible version, then the game would need to be in gem/16 colors and would be ugly and slow as hell, so it's not worth it.

and photochrome doesn't solve the problem, it even bring more problem because of multipalette per scanline and flickering etc... it's ok for a slide show, but not for a game with interactive things !

Edited by Orion_

Well, its actually ST/STe, but yeah...

Hmm, wasn't actually thinking about "1 game tor rule them all" :) but rather a version separate from the

Falcon release.

Admittedly, I'm no programmer, so.... <shrugs>

I was just following the message thread at Atariforum that I linked to above. They seem to think they

are going to be able to pull it off, with the new and improved Photochrome that the original author has

been working on.

Anyway, thanks for a great Falcon game, and I appreciate the reply.

Cya! :)

Huh. Anyone having 260ST with 256KB RAM: please write here - I want to count you :) .

Idea was just to support majority of still active ST(E) users - and I believe that most of them has some hard disk solution, and at least 1MB RAM.

Considering high-color mode cursor problems - I can try making solution. And I think that instead Photochrome format, this should be done with single raster images - so no flickering and about 50KB/screen. And Douglas Little just made updated version, so can do conversions fast on PC.

And I guess that 68000 at 8Mhz is fast enough for this game.