IGNORED

ABBUC sw contest 2012?

matosimi

Well,

both the Abbuc hardware and software contests are continued. Think we have the same rules as in the last 1-2 years, so we are happily looking forward to your entry. Alas, the person who is "responsible" for the software contest changed and I have not heard a single word from the new one regarding the software contest. Hopefully he will write an announcement soon at Abbuc and other forums...

Afaik, the e-mail adress for the software contest and contact with Abbuc remains unchanged:

softwareatabbucpointde (where at = @ and point = .)

Greetings, Andreas Koch.

• 2 months later...

I have to beg your pardon and thank Bunsen and GoodByteXL for their support. I am the successor to Bunsen but I could not be as responsive as I should have been for personal reasons. You might have noticed that I was absent from this forum here too for a while.

As Bunsen says, best is to use both addresses. Send it to "software@abbuc.de" and CC to "GoodByteXL@abbuc.de".

Thanks for info.

Btw may i release some pics or gameplay video? or thats against the rules?

The rules do not forbid that. The right for first publication regards the software itself. But keep in mind, that if your game is too great, it might keep others from handing in their software. And if we do get less than three submissions, there might be no competition.

Full ACK, I wouldn't publish pictures/videos prior to September 1st - you wouldn't want to discourage other authors, would you? After all, it's only two further weeks now.

BTW: several of us have seen a beta version of a participating game on the Fujiama, and yet I cannot see anyone gossiping about it in this forum.

Full ACK, I wouldn't publish pictures/videos prior to September 1st - you wouldn't want to discourage other authors, would you? After all, it's only two further weeks now.

BTW: several of us have seen a beta version of a participating game on the Fujiama, and yet I cannot see anyone gossiping about it in this forum.

ye, ofc not before 1st setpember.

does it mean that ure working on compo entry?

btw.. is there anybody already signed for SW compo this year?

At the Fujiama meeting there was at least one person working on a compo entry. He tried to hide but some of us could peek a view. I think I have a picture of some code fragments as a "screenshot" on my smartphone ;)

There is no official submission yet, but there are some announcements so that I am positive that we will have a good competition this year. :)

ye, ofc not before 1st setpember.

does it mean that ure working on compo entry?

btw.. is there anybody already signed for SW compo this year?

At the Fujiama meeting there was at least one person working on a compo entry. He tried to hide but some of us could peek a view. I think I have a picture of some code fragments as a "screenshot" on my smartphone ;)

Yeah, very clever to code on the projext while attending a public meeting :)

There is no official submission yet, but there are some announcements so that I am positive that we will have a good competition this year. :)

I heard of another group who might participate. If they do, then there will be at least 3 entries.

So there will be a competition at least. :)

salut,

crt xl

i'm going to be sticking me oar in this year... but i just tried to double check the rules for submissions and the website's having a poorly so does anyone know what needs to be bundled with the executable when it's emailed off?

Ok, the ABBUC website is down after a DOS-attack, so here are the full rules again (@TMR: your question is answered at topic 4):

Rules for the ABBUC-Software-Contest 2011 (short form, full version see below):

- everyone can participate

- no demos, only games, apps and utils

- must run on standard xl/xe

- first release through ABBUC

- previews and teasers are allowed

1. General Rules

The contest is open to every user. ABBUC membership is not requested. Deadline for the software

contest 2011 is 31 August 2012. ABBUC issues the following prizes:

1. Place: 500 Euro

2. Place: 250 Euro

3. Place: 125 Euro

4. Place: 75 Euro

5. Place: 50 Euro

6.-10. Place: a small non-cash prize each!

For all registered software ABBUC receives the rights of first publication. The copyright remains with

the author who might use his software freely after the end of the contest. The products will be

presented on the ABBUC homepage, in the ABBUC magazine and on the ABBUC annual general meeting (JHV). Competition decision and award ceremony will happen during the meeting. The author is not requested to be present for presentation and award ceremony. The prize then will be sent or transferred. Please state your address and bank account during the registration!

2. Admission to the Competition

Software for the ATARI 8-bit line 600XL(64 KB)/800XL/65XE/800XE/130XE.

The head of software and the 1st chairman jointly decide on permits in special cases. Developments

that have already participated in previous competitions, as well as commercial products are

excluded from participation. Additional conditions:

- hint on the "ABBUC software contest 2012" in the start screen

- software has to be full functionable on real ATARI with 64K or 128K RAM

- types of software: game, application, tool, utility, programming language, DOS

- media: SD or ED 5,25" disk or ATR image

- programming language: all – final software has to be runable without additional hardware or software

3. Test and Evaluation of the registered Software

ABBUC software department performs function tests of all software submitted for the software

competition on real Atari XL / XE computers with 64 KB and 128 KB of RAM. Therefore the registered

software is applied to be sent to the head of software department.

The evaluation of the software will be executed by the members of ABBUC by ballot awarding 1-10

points each. The products, which got the most points at the end, reach out to win the issued prizes.

ABBUC reserves the right to reduce the prize money in case of moderate or low quality develop-

ments.

4. Documentation of the Software

A documentation or a user manual of two pages maximum and three screenshots have to be submitted with the Software. This will be published in the ABBUC club magazine. Language for all documents: English or German.

5. Miscellaneous

At least three participants have to be registered for the competition. If this condition is not met,

ABBUC reserves the right to not carry out the competition. Not awarded prizes/prize money will be

distributed to future competitions unless ABBUC members decide to suspend the competition. For

presentation purposes it might be necessary to rename filenames by software section.

6. Disclaimer

The ABBUC software division immediately disqualifies software, which are recognized to be a plagiarism of existing or commercial Atari 8-bit software. Is this detected only after the award ceremony, the participant will be permanently banned from all ABBUC competitions. The participant has to return received cash or non-cash prizes immediately to ABBUC. Legal process is excluded. All rights reserved.

Questions? ---> E-Mail to software@abbuc.de --- We are looking forward to your entries.

Edited by skr

> - programming language: all – final software has to be runable without additional hardware or software

so, what about DOS? this is additional soft. what about libraries? my new games do not work without xbios library.

Shortly before the ABBUC site was closed down due to that DoS attack (a Joomla vulnerability was exploited and the ABBUC site was used as a source of DoS attacks, if I understood cas' explanations at www.abbuc.de correctly).

Slightly off-topic, but just slightly: sign-set (publisher of Return Magazin, a small but professionally designed German magazine focussing on 8 bit retro computers and consoles) was peddling the idea of distributing a limited edition of a new A8 game as prizes in a tombola. C64 user schlonkel (creator of new Boulder Dash level sets under the moniker of "The Lost Caves" used DVD cases and created two special edition of TLCs (the recent one including a DVD with the

for a current, similar tombola. Funnily enough, he initially thought tombola participants might state their interest via facebook, but he soon found out that several people in the retro scene seem to avoid facebook like the plague (including me, btw) and is now also registering participant addresses provided to him via forum64.de.

If any game author feels a similar box of his/her game might be a good idea, he/she may contact sign-set through the magazine's homepage.

Edited by Thorsten Günther

If you include the libraries, it is no problem (as long as you don´t violate any copyrights). The point is, that the user must be able to use your software by just starting the file or booting your disc.

For example: If you write a Turbo-Basic program you have to create a disc containing Turbo-Basic, so that the end user only has to boot your disk.

> - programming language: all – final software has to be runable without additional hardware or software

so, what about DOS? this is additional soft. what about libraries? my new games do not work without xbios library.