IGNORED

Real Cool 2600 Set-Up At Used Game Store

TIMTOM

So my good friend and I were out driving around this afternoon. We stopped at this little game store in Cobleskill, NY, a smaller town in upstate NY. I walk into the classic gaming room and the entire wall is covered in Atari 2600 games! There were a few decent finds there; I ended up picking up Buck Rogers for $5. The guy said his Atari games weren't selling too well so he used them for wallpaper. Since then he said he's sold a few. Haha! He had them stuck to the wall with that blue sticky stuff, I forget what it's called, they used to use it in the classroom I remember. Didn't seem to damage the cart (or wall) at all. I might end up doing something similar with my walls! (If so I will be sure to post a pic).

• Like 1

Now, that's a storage technique I haven't heard of before! It actually would allow you to use your wall space efficiently and allow you to take games down and put them up easily as well, with the only downside being possible residue of the ticky-tack on the wall or cartridge. You could display 480 typical-sized VCS carts in a space 10 feet wide and 4 feet tall... fits in a hallway.

You could instead use velcro. If placed across the center back face of the cart, it wouldn't get in the way when plugging the game into the unit.

This method would only work well for those of us who collect carts, and don't care about displaying boxes and/or instructions, at least without the likelihood of permanent damage to the boxes.

It would be nice to walk into a store to find a classic gaming room - let alone one wallpapered with Atari carts. Back when O'Shea sold new carts for 80 cents each I used to daydream about things I could make with them: a tiled floor, furniture, a super-cool vest perhaps.

Not sure where you are in U.S.A., but lately I've been getting lucky typing "video games -redbox -gamestop" into Google Maps and then heading on road trips across the upstate NY / Pennsylvania area. I still have a few places to hit near the Rochester area. There's some promising places way out west in Erie, PA. Route 7 is a nice road across New York state with lots of odd-ball flea market type stores. The one place we went into, "Richie Rich's" it was called, sort of freaked us out. It was this trailer attached to a guy's house and EVERY SQUARE INCH OF WALL was lined with VHS cassettes. There were alot of twisty turns in there. He had a few NES games but not Atari. We also ended up in some woman's house who had a sign in front saying "Noah's Ark flea market", and a ton of religious signs. It was very dreamlike. Not sure if that's a trend or not with the unemployment rates and such: people turning their homes into flea markets.