IGNORED

Pele's Soccer - 1 player

ravenxau

I always play single player because I have no one to play with--which I prefer anyway. I've always really liked this game (in my Top 10). There are many game selections to choose from, but I would keep the ball in front of my players and keep passing to my teammates until I had a good angle to kick it in and get the fireworks display. On the easier game selections, my team could kick the computer's butt.

The game isn't exactly FIFA 12, but it is still pretty enjoyable. Much like regular soccer, the key to winning is good passing.

On a side note, is there any difference between this and Championship Soccer? Championship Soccer states its approved by Pele, so I'm guessing it came first and then they just renamed it.

On an other side note, its kinda interesting how the downfall of soccer in the US in the early 80's is related to the video game crash.

That's interesting stuff, Masematte. I'm really glad when someone takes the time to put documents like that, and to write about that stuff, stuff that may seem trivial but in reality is non-trivial and fascinating data point on the time.

I remember Pele's Soccer okay. Before the gameplay, I can't help remembering the fireworks sequence that takes place after each score. It was basically a little demo, and though there was an "ooh! ahh!" element to it, it was also silly really. Devote some of that graphic flair to the gameplay, they should've. Or if not the graphic flair, add something deeper to the play.

The gameplay was actually okay. There's three players to a side. I think I remember relying on some passing and on making use of each player. There were later Soccer cartridges after this, basically branded "RealSports," and "SuperSports," and, who knows, "MegaSports" and so forth. But their gameplay I couldn't get into. Was it because I was an older kid with more demanding tastes by that time? I don't think it was. I think the gameplay on those is just worse, even if they have better graphics, stick figures or whatever.

In the same way, I'd liken Pele's Soccer to that first meager Football from Atari. However crude the graphics (and in the case of Football they also flickered) it was just more fun than the versions that came later.