IGNORED

How about a Kickstarter project - Pitfall 3?

Byte Knight

With all of the retrogaming Kickstarter projects going on, I was thinking that it would be cool if someone started a Kickstarter project for Pitfall 3. I heard David Crane say in an interview a while back that he would be willing to make another Atari game if there was money involved. Anyone know how to get a hold of him? Of course, it probably couldn't be called Pitfall 3 since Activision probably still owns the rights to the name. Maybe "Tarpit"?

What do you guys think?

I have no idea about feasibility, but if it was a true sequel, and good gameplay, I know I would be VERY interested. Pitfall! and The lost Caverns are 2 of my favorites, I have very fond memories of making my own map and with codes for each screen of both versions.

To me a great sequel would be

1 - have both types of gameplay (timed and restore points)

2 - have both types of maps

3 - HUGE world to explore, but interesting treasures to keep you looking

4 - some type of ingame hints/keys/maps that you can discover to unlock locations or abilities (find the rope to swing like a vine, find a stick to pole vault over scorpions, find a map with code to open secret door, that type of stuff)

its neat to dream

i would hate for it to be a get the blue key with a red door in the way game like montezumas revenge

it would be neat if you woudl have to rescue pitfall harrylike be the little girl he rescues in 2

i dont know how to do it without feeling like jungle hunt , monetzumas revenge ,and HERO

How many 2600 games have been made using Kickstarter? I don't think there are any, apart from that hectic Starcastle thing, which is vastly surpassed by the homebrew version anyway... We don't need thing like Kickstarter on 2600.. stay relaxed and play what you have... that's more than enough...

We don't need thing like Kickstarter on 2600.. stay relaxed and play what you have... that's more than enough...

So you wouldn't want to see one of the greatest 2600 programmers come up with a new game?

I get the impression that Maiki likes to just stir the pot. I think everyone here would love to see David Crane create a new 2600 game.

-B

I think you're all putting the cart before the horse. Do we know for sure (through firsthand confirmation) that Crane would want to undertake a new 2600 project, and even if he does, do we know that it would be a Pitfall sequel and not something else? You'll need to get answers to these questions, and to find out what kind of money he'd want, before you can even begin to think about launching a Kickstarter campaign.

I think you're all putting the cart before the horse. Do we know for sure (through firsthand confirmation) that Crane would want to undertake a new 2600 project, and even if he does, do we know that it would be a Pitfall sequel and not something else? You'll need to get answers to these questions, and to find out what kind of money he'd want, before you can even begin to think about launching a Kickstarter campaign.

All questions I've been wondering since this thread was started, but wasn't sure how to phrase. Doesn't seem terribly likely that the poor guy would actually want to make another Pitfall for VCS himself just to please maybe a hundred fans.

All questions I've been wondering since this thread was started, but wasn't sure how to phrase. Doesn't seem terribly likely that the poor guy would actually want to make another Pitfall for VCS himself just to please maybe a hundred fans.

200!!! :grin:

Nothing is known at this point. By starting this thread, I was hoping that someone who knows David or knows how to contact him might get excited and get David thinking about a project like this... A man can dream, right? :sleep:

Edited by Byte Knight

Look at the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project which raised almost $3 million! There were way less copies of the original Wasteland sold than Pitfall 2 carts. According to the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project site:

The original game sold over 100,000 copies—on the Apple ][ and Commodore 64 platforms back in the day. If everyone who played it then backs the project at the most basic level, the game is on.

With the ability to play Pitfall 3 via emulation on a computer, I think there would be way more than a hundred fans interested...

heck look at how much money star castle raised and that game does not have anywhere near the name recognition of pitfall, imho...

Double name recognition. Everyone knows Pitfall and David Crane.

With the ability to play Pitfall 3 via emulation on a computer, I think there would be way more than a hundred fans interested...

And if it's embedded on a web site using Javatari with no need to download, install, and set up an emulator, many more people would be able to play it.

that demake looks neat but it also looks weaker than 2600 in some ways, imho. Even the ol atari managed to get pitfall 'larry' to be more than monochromatic...

That, Sir, is a COMPLEMENT! Every De-make hopes - but never assumes - to be worse than it's original. Kind of like every politician hopes to siphon more money than his predecessor!

On-topic why pay someone when we can create it and share the love, er, I mean, source!

Edited by theloon

If PF3 ever does get made, it should reintroduce the timer countdown from the first, to add some tension. For instance, the object of the game could involve Harry needing to find 5 pieces of an ancient artifact in less than 24 hours in order to save the world. If it could have a "time" element of the first PF plus the open-world feel of the second it would be awesome IMO...

-B