IGNORED

How about a Kickstarter project - Pitfall 3?

Byte Knight

Ask him to include randomly placed treasures, enemies, and so on. And it wouldn't hurt if he included more enemies that are intelligent and don't just jump back and forth or fly back and forth.

But if it wasn't exactly the same every time you played it then would it really be Pitfall 3?

Yeah, it would be a good version of Pitfall 3 and it would actually count as an adventure game. :D

Guys,

This is David Crane. The author of this thread - Byte Knight - tracked me down through a Facebook account that I rarely use. He provided me this link.

Where do I start? First, one poster hit the nail on the head regarding making Pitfall 3… Activision owns the PItfall name, and they have even made a couple of sequels since I left the company in 1987. Pitfall belongs to them because the company was paying my salary when I created it. (Under today's intellectual property laws, the Mona Lisa would belong to Lisa's husband who paid Da Vinci for a portrait of his wife. And Queen Isabella of Spain discovered America - since she paid for the trip.) So, No, I will not be making Pitfall 3. I couldn't if I wanted to.

Second, the 2600. The 2600 has always been my favorite system because of the challenge it provided. But as much as I love it, it is not the best system to make a game. And in my line of work, I believe that the game is more important than the system. SInce you are viewing this thread, you all have a fondness for the 2600 and the games from the early days of video games. And you enjoyed playing Pitfall. I submit to you that it is not the 2600 that made those games great. Sure, the limited hardware forced us to be more creative in making games, and it showed in those early titles. But I have found that those same skills translate into game design regardless of the system. When I am given complete creative control and the time to make exactly the game I want to make, it can be just as much fun to play as Pitfall.

So what system is best? With the right team in place, any modern system has the power to deliver on my vision of what a game should be. And I know what I'm talking about. I have published over 100 games since I started, and I have programmed them on 25 different game consoles or platforms. What is my favorite modern system? I really like the iPhone and iPad, but I will always choose the platform that best complements the game.

Another reason that it would be difficult to make Pitfall 3, even if I had the rights, is because I am always working on new game ideas. I am currently in the design and planning stage of the biggest game project I have taken on in 20 years. You all know now that it won't be Pitfall 3. But on the other hand, this September is PItfall's 30th anniversary. And nobody would be surprised if my new, major game project were to pay homage in some way to the most popular game I ever made.

All is currently top secret. But if you would like to be among the first to learn about the project when it becomes public, go to http://www.JungleVenture.com and submit your email address. You will hear the details at the same time the press is notified. You can also follow me on Twitter @PitfallCreator. I'm not one of the most talkative tweeters, but neither do I announce where I am going to dinner every night. And as I start to leak details on the project, it will probably be there.

But for this group I have to come back to the 2600. I will admit that I still have a certain fondness for the good ol' VCS. In fact, sitting on my desk about 5 feet away as I write this is a PC with a CAD design 80% complete for a super 2600 cartridge that incorporates the best of my DPC chip design and my $FE bank switch circuitry, among other cool features. One day I hope to finish that circuit design and make a 2600 cartridge that would really kick butt. All I have to do is figure out a way to make that project complement my new, big game project rather than causing a distraction.

I'll work on that.

• Like 37

Mr. Crane,

I shall resist the temptation to begin gushing with excitement, but on behalf of all of us, I'd like to extend our heartiest welcome to you, and to express our deepest gratitude for your work. As I'm sure you already know, your previous games are still very actively enjoyed here, by game players and students of game design alike. I'm sure we will all be following your new projects with great interest!

• Like 10

Mr. Crane! You would make my lifetime if you spoke out against Super Pitfall, one of the greatest evils of the 20th century (Adolf who now?). I've had a seething hatred of that game since I rented it one fateful day in 1990, and it would give me endless satisfaction if you were to publicly disown this bastard child of the franchise. Hell, I will SEND you a copy if you were to record a video of yourself smashing it with a hammer.

Also, do you still own the rights to A Boy and his Blob? I couldn't get into it personally but I understand Wayforward designed an excellent sequel for the Wii a couple of years ago.

But for this group I have to come back to the 2600. I will admit that I still have a certain fondness for the good ol' VCS. In fact, sitting on my desk about 5 feet away as I write this is a PC with a CAD design 80% complete for a super 2600 cartridge that incorporates the best of my DPC chip design and my $FE bank switch circuitry, among other cool features. One day I hope to finish that circuit design and make a 2600 cartridge that would really kick butt. All I have to do is figure out a way to make that project complement my new, big game project rather than causing a distraction.

I'll work on that.

Sounds great! I can't wait! Thanks for posting. Although I have my complaints about Pitfall! and Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, because they lack Randomness and Replayability, they are still great looking, high-quality games. If you get a chance to make a new Atari 2600 game, please consider using controlled randomness for placing treasure, enemies, and so on. I'd also love some smarter enemies to deal with instead of having us mostly jump over things.

• Like 1

I'll work on that.

Sounds great! I can't wait! Thanks for posting. Although I have my complaints about Pitfall! and Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, because they lack Randomness and Replayability, they are still great looking, high-quality games. If you get a chance to make a new Atari 2600 game, please consider using controlled randomness for placing treasure, enemies, and so on. I'd also love some smarter enemies to deal with instead of having us mostly jump over things.

Oh Random, you are just so......what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, predictable! ;) Oh the irony!

• Like 2

I'll work on that.

Oh Random, you are just so......what's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah, predictable! ;) Oh the irony!

I wouldn't say he's predictable. I think Random is just somewhat... let's say... controlled...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that JungleVenture just picked up a couple of subscribers. Just sayin. :-D Very cool to see you here Mr Crane and thanks for the gaming goodness. My 7 yr old son was just asking me to play Pitfall with him last night. Timeless game I'd say.

I'll work on that.

Awesome reply David, and I hope you drop those stalking charges! ;) The Jungle Venture project will be followed closely by all of us, and I'm glad that there's still hope that you may eventually return to your roots and do something again on the 2600.

Thanks for all the great games and memories!

• Like 1

Lately I've been playing Skate Boardin' on the 2600 and I love it! It's one of those games that you can't fully appreciate until you play it for a while. It's very tightly designed and the music is catchy. I didn't think of it as an "adventure game" at first, but it does have elements of exploration and discovery. The skateboarder sort of reminds me of Pitfall Harry; Maybe it's his teenage son or nephew? Thank you for the games Mr. Crane.

Mr. Crane! You would make my lifetime if you spoke out against Super Pitfall, one of the greatest evils of the 20th century (Adolf who now?). I've had a seething hatred of that game since I rented it one fateful day in 1990, and it would give me endless satisfaction if you were to publicly disown this bastard child of the franchise. Hell, I will SEND you a copy if you were to record a video of yourself smashing it with a hammer.

Also, do you still own the rights to A Boy and his Blob? I couldn't get into it personally but I understand Wayforward designed an excellent sequel for the Wii a couple of years ago.

BOOO! I must be one of the few people in the world that liked SP. Took me a year to beat. You wanna talk crappy pitfall game...how bout Myan Adventure... talk about a short game!

BOOO! I must be one of the few people in the world that liked SP. Took me a year to beat. You wanna talk crappy pitfall game...how bout Myan Adventure... talk about a short game!

Super Pitfall hatin' has just put it on the list of games to backport. That's the reason I started experimenting with smooth horizontal scrolling. I think now I might just have to settle for multi-sprite and go with it.

Mr. Crane to me is THE game designing ICON of our era of gaming.It is truely fantastic to see Mr.Crane is still active in the industry, and creating more games.I always loved Jungle themed games, can't wait to see the new game(s). :thumbsup: ;)

While attempting to minimize the "gush", I just like to say a few things. Seeing your face and the other Activision programmers' faces in black & white meant a lot to me as a 10-year old kid. Prior to that, there was always a "man behind the curtain" mystery to all the 2600 games. This was only amplified by the infamous "Warren Robinette" secret signature when I first stumbled upon that clue in "Adventure". While awesomely mysterious, I wanted to know who was "on the other end". Also, the Explorer's Club patch, and photographed high-score submittals for each game were such a terrific avenue for two-way communication. A-Plus! I could go on, but...

Thank you Mr. Crane for the video game love you gave us in the 1980s. Neat stuff!

• Like 1