IGNORED

Tempest's New Game Room

Tempest

I've finally gotten around to taking pictures of my new game room. New in this case may be a misnomer, it's actually the same game room I had before, but I've completely redone it. Take a look at the pictures in my original thread and then take a look at these.

This is the entrance to my lair. Eventually I want to get something cool for a door. Maybe a tacky bead curtain or something like that.

gameroom1.jpg

The main entry area. The layout is a large square with two arcades in the middle forming an island of sorts. The computers are are lined up on the tables in front while the game consoles are on entertainment systems to the right. There are bookcases lining the walls on the left with all my boxes.

gameroom2.jpg

Turning around from where the previous picture was taken. You can see my modern games area and my new futon. Those orange ashtrays are actually vintage Playboy club ashtrays that my wife inherited from her father. I guess he was a member back in the day. They lend an air of manliness to my lair. ;)

gameroom3.jpg

The two entertainment centers with my game consoles. Classics on the left, modern stuff on the right. On the left: 5200, NES, 7800, 3DO, O2, Astrocade, Intellivision, Arcadia 2001. On the right: PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and PSP.

gameroom4.jpg

Turning around from the console area you can see the some of my boxed games (these are on the left as you enter). Vectrex, O2, Lynx (not shown) on the left, Apple II/IIgs on the right. On the top you can see my collection of Coleco Mini-Arcades. I'm only missing DK Jr. for a complete set.

gameroom5.jpg

Looking left from the main area you can see my MAME cab and game marquees. Thankfully the heavy glass marquees fit nicely on the metal I-beam so I can finally display them.

gameroom6.jpg

Looking straight ahead from the main area you can see all my boxed Atari 8-Bit stuff and some other boxed odds and ends. From left to right: Atari 800xl, TI-99/4a. Amiga 1200, Macintosh Classic, and then my VGA area which includes my Saturn, Dreamcast, SNES,Jaguar, TurboDuo, SMS, and Genesis all hooked up to a VGA monitor via SCART cables.

gameroom7.jpg

Looking right from the main area (and left of entertainment centers) you can see my C-64 and VIC-20. It just wouldn't be an 80's game room without some Star Wars posters...

gameroom8.jpg

Looking left from the main area (and right of the MAME cab) you can see the rest of my computers: TRS-80 Model III, a Pentium I and III (hidden on the floor), my actual computer, and my Apple IIe. The spot with the lone monitor will soon be home to my Coleco ADAM once I get it back from being VGA modded. Also note the requisite 80's posters (Blade Runner and Return of the Jedi).

gameroom9.jpg

This is to the left of where my modern computer is (on the other side of the MAME cab). You can see this area in the background fifth picture with my Apple bookcases. Atari 8-bit, 5200, and 7800 boxes.

gameroom10.jpg

Looking left from the previous picture. Intellivision, TI-99/41, C-64, Vic-20, ADAM, and Arcadia boxes. You can also see my Burgertime cab.

gameroom11.jpg

Another shot of the MAME cab and the area behind. Note the Ultima V poster on the side of my Burgertime cab.

gameroom12.jpg

The shelves above my PC's. You can see my PC/PCjr boxes and all my disks (PC on top, Apple II and Atari on the bottom).

gameroom13.jpg

Another shot of the computers and my 8-bit boxes.

gameroom14.jpg

This is the corner by the modern games area. You can see my Tron and Last Starfighter posters along with a really old floor lamp (I think it's from the 40's). This area has a sump pump so there's not much I can do with it.

gameroom15.jpg

War Games and Back to the Future posters in the entryway.

gameroom16.jpg

Some of the marquees above my Burgertime cab (Robby Roto, Pac-Man Plus, Mr. DO's Castle). They were too large to fit into the I-beam so I had to stick them over it instead. Robby Roto actually came down one day and smacked me right in the head (thankfully it's plastic not glass).

gameroom17.jpg

More marquees (Bump n Jump, Time Soldiers, The Adventures of Robby Roto).

gameroom18.jpg

And more marquees (Mr. DO's Castle, and Victory). You can also see The Map Room At Dawn from Raiders of the Lost Ark done by our own Aimee Dingman.

gameroom19.jpg

Other side of the I-Beam with my glass marquees. Liberator, Space Duel, and Kangaroo. I understand that the Liberator marquee is pretty rare.

gameroom20.jpg

More marquees. Missile Command has two built in speaker mounts so it's kind of strange (and it's plastic, not glass). Also pictured: Centipede and Omega Race (also not glass).

gameroom21.jpg

Just a look at the cool pattern my wife made in the floor using random carpet tiles (the washed out look is because of the flash). I originally wanted all biege but she talked me into these. I'm glad she did, they look awesome!

gameroom22.jpg

So now I have the little gaming lair that I've always wanted. Eventually I plan to do something with the ceiling, but one step at a time. :)

• Like 11

WOW! Great looking room Tempest! :thumbsup: :o Really well organized and nicely displayed. I love the 80's posters and the marquees, perfect for adding to the ambience. :) I have to ask about the marquees though, are they all just resting inside the i-beams? I have about 20 or so myself, glass and plastic, that I'd like to put up around my own gaming lair but I'm not sure how best to hang them without damaging them. I think they make for great "art". Big fan of the Burgertime cab too, that's a hard one to find. Thanks for posting these up to date pics.

If you have a low ceiling like me you could do what I did and use this plastic strip system I found at Home depot that allows you to use suspended ceiling panels but only take up about an inch or two of space. I'm six feet one so I needed all the vertical space I could get. It worked out pretty well.

You can see how it came out in this thread.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/175784-atari-posters/

Allan

Wow, your setup is so full of win, I can hardly stand it! :lol:

Nice job Matt! Even your marquees are of cool and unique titles. The couple of vertical VCS posters I saw... what the heck are those? Original flats from back in the day? I don't remember seeing anything like that. Especially the Raiders map...

The couple of vertical VCS posters I saw... what the heck are those?

You mean the Stargate poster? Best sold those for awhile, but they're long gone. The Raiders Map is a painting done my Aimee.

I actually have a bunch of 'sell sheets' for various Sirius and Sierra Online 8-bit games that I want to put somewhere, I just have to figure out where.

I just noticed that when I'm sitting at my computer and I look left and right and see the Return of the Jedi and Star Wars posters it looks like Han and Luke are shooting at each other. I never noticed they have the exact same pose on each poster.

If you have a low ceiling like me you could do what I did and use this plastic strip system I found at Home depot that allows you to use suspended ceiling panels but only take up about an inch or two of space. I'm six feet one so I needed all the vertical space I could get. It worked out pretty well.

http://www.atariage....-atari-posters/

Allan

I meant to ask you, how much did that cost to do? The reason I never looked into the drop panel ceiling is because I heard it was expensive.

http://www.atariage....-atari-posters/

Allan

I meant to ask you, how much did that cost to do? The reason I never looked into the drop panel ceiling is because I heard it was expensive.

I forget what the total was. I did buy it in pieces over a short period of time.

Here's a video about it

You can find them at most Home Depots. The cost really depends on how big your ceiling is. If I had to guess what I paid it was something like $200 but was well worth it.

Allan

Sweet!

I like all the Atari Computer stuff, of course. Nice boxed shelf to check out there.

Where did you get those arcade banners? They look like the original backlit artwork off the arcade machines? They are awesome, and really add 80's spirit to the room.

Where did you get those arcade banners? They look like the original backlit artwork off the arcade machines? They are awesome, and really add 80's spirit to the room.

You mean the marquees? Yep they're from arcade machines. I got them at various conventions. Had them for years but never had a place to put them until now.