IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 5 Round 10 Meteorites

zylon

post-2092-0-19771100-1340843652_thumb.jpg

I can't quite put my finger on why this seems harder than arcade Asteroids. Is the ship rotation a bit slower perhaps?

Rotation is indeed slower and shooting does need to be spot on, but the shooting method to be successful is really the same as asteroids. I do prefer this to all Atari ports.. Meteorites seems more fluid to me.

One would have to believe that Atari ripped the 7800 port from this game . Other than rotation speed and a few glitzy options, its spot on.

Other than rotation speed and a few glitzy options, its spot on.

I don't know... UFO behavior also seems odd compared to other Asteroids. The most obvious difference is that they will come around for another pass if they survive going from one side of the screen to another. The bigger saucer also seems to shoot more accurately. And they don't seem to appear nearly as frequently... which makes 'UFO hunting' unappealing, even if it was allowed.

The way the asteroids split seems different as well... I guess I need to play a few rounds of the arcade game, but I don't recall them changing direction as radically as they sometimes do in Meteorites.

Which isn't to say I dislike this version... I'm enjoying the challenge! Just trying to figure out why it seems harder that the arcade game.

Edited by sdamon

Other than rotation speed and a few glitzy options, its spot on.

I don't know... UFO behavior also seems odd compared to other Asteroids. The most obvious difference is that they will come around for another pass if they survive going from one side of the screen to another. The bigger saucer also seems to shoot more accurately. And they don't seem to appear nearly as frequently... which makes 'UFO hunting' unappealing, even if it was allowed.

The way the asteroids split seems different as well... I guess I need to play a few rounds of the arcade game, but I don't recall them changing direction as radically as they sometimes do in Meteorites.

Which isn't to say I dislike this version... I'm enjoying the challenge! Just trying to figure out why it seems harder that the arcade game.

The big difference [even from 7800 ] which i notice is that at "times" the large saucers come in and kill you when they have not even appeared on the screen nor have they even taken a clear shot at you.

Further, I am noticing that if you play the 128-1 ROM you may be starting at a later screen. I have played both the original cart and the ROM on my 128-1.

The 128-1 may start you with 4 meteorites as opposed to 2 , on the first stage, where as the original cart on default will ONLY start you with 2. Weird.

At any rate, this game is about moving constantly while shooting as the game progresses. I have the shooting down , but flying and using hyperspace has been my weak point.

Edited by peedenmark7

Well played and glad to see some real hardware in use, even on this rare a game. :thumbsup: The victory and record goes to reigning champ sdamon.

be sure to join us this next round for all-out space combat. :)

FINAL scores:

20,450 sdamon (oe cart) +11+1=12

17,350 jblenkle +10

15,850 peedenmark7 (oe cart) +9+1=10

12,170 Liduario +8

9,590 JacobZu7zu7 +7

8,880 zylon +6

8,130 roadrunner (oe cart) +5+1=6

6,340 atariron82 +4

5,770 BydoEmpire +3

* Sonic R +1(oe cart) *

Edited by zylon