IGNORED

Just got into the N=Gage ... Zillions of Questions ... Help!

Wow where to start. Just got into the N-Gage a few weeks ago and have been gathering up a pretty decent collection of games so far. It's one of those systems I always wanted but didn't have the money, time etc. for back in the day ... so it took a while but I finally have one. So far I love everything about it. Nice portable size, good battery, graphics are a nice mix between PS1 and GBA, and most importantly a diverse game llibrary with some amazing exclusive games to track down!

One problem I'm having though, is finding good information about the system. There just isn't that much out there on the web. So I'm hoping you good peoples can help with some or all of the questions I have so far. Here goes:

- First off some Qs about versions of games. Most of the titles I have so far are regular North American release. Basic Stuff. But is it true that the N-Gage and N-Gage QD have no region lockout whatsoever? Can anybody confirm this?

- I have two games that have yellow borders with "GOLD MASTER REVIEW KIT [NOT FOR SALE]" on them, One, and Asphalt 2. They have no instructions in the case and have a mini DVD instead. My assumption is that these were for members of the press to review the games? If that's the case what's on the mini DVDs? Also is there any difference between these and a retail copy of the same game? I.E. missing levels, some kind of lockout, beta version etc. I would love to know because I'll keep these if they play like a regular copy. They must be kinda rare if they were for press only?

- Other oddities are some games that have "NOT FOR SALE" plastered on them. Most have white borders and full color tags on them with logos and game art etc. One is a copy of FIFA 2005 that has a plain white tag on it without logos or game art with a green border. The third is a game called System Rush with a orange border and the white tag also without any kind of logo or art. Can anybody tell me what these are? They seem to play fine, but the only info I could find was a internet rumor about them being demo units that have a play time limit? Can anybody confirm / deny this? Like above do they differ in any way from a full retail version of the game? Or are they missing levels/content/etc.?

- The "PROTO" unit. This looks exactly like a regular N-Gage QD, same weight, feel, everything as a regular unit. The only difference is when the back cover is off the serial number is different, and it has "PROPERTY OF NOKIA: PROTO" written below the bar code. When I put in a battery it turns on ... but stops at the white screen with NOKIA at the bottom and does nothing else, so it doesn't boot up. Any idea of what this unit is, and is there any hope of getting it to work?

- Multiplayer stuff. The N-Gage Arena is long gone by now, but what about multiplayer over blue-tooth? How user friendly is it to set up games? Is there any compatibility issue with one player using a Taco, and the other using a QD unit?

- Last question is about a non-working used QD I got with a lot of games. It boots up, but then says "SIM card not valid" and refuses to go to the menu screen. I've tried the dummy sim that comes with a QD, an ATT sim card, and a T-Moblie. Nothing seems to work. Were the phones locked into service with particular carriers? What other sim cards could I try? Or is this a question of the unit being broken and not reading anything?

Anyway if somebody out there has any info / knows anything about these items whatever help you can offer is greatly appreciated. I think when these came out originally I didn't get one because I was just busy with other games/systems and the initial price point was pretty high. I wish I could go back a few years when the games were even cheaper than they are now and pick some of them up. Things are starting to get a little pricy for some of the rare games. With that said though I really am loving the little thing. If I had to use it as a phone my opinion may be a different, but for a classic handheld game system you can get for around 30-50 bucks it's a fantastic deal. Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

Wow where to start. Just got into the N-Gage a few weeks ago and have been gathering up a pretty decent collection of games so far. It's one of those systems I always wanted but didn't have the money, time etc. for back in the day ... so it took a while but I finally have one. So far I love everything about it. Nice portable size, good battery, graphics are a nice mix between PS1 and GBA, and most importantly a diverse game llibrary with some amazing exclusive games to track down!

Congrats! The N-Gage (unlike the Game.Com--sorry, had to rub that in there :P) is an underrated little handheld. It has some garbage, but it has some gems as well. Glad to see you are enjoying yours so far!

- First off some Qs about versions of games. Most of the titles I have so far are regular North American release. Basic Stuff. But is it true that the N-Gage and N-Gage QD have no region lockout whatsoever? Can anybody confirm this?

No region locking.

Also, there were very few exclusives outside of America. Sega Rally was a Australian-only release (and tough to come by to boot), and I believe Flo Boarding was a pack-in for the UK region. I think there might be one or two more exclusives outside of the US, but don't recall off the top of my head.

- I have two games that have yellow borders with "GOLD MASTER REVIEW KIT [NOT FOR SALE]" on them, One, and Asphalt 2. They have no instructions in the case and have a mini DVD instead. My assumption is that these were for members of the press to review the games? If that's the case what's on the mini DVDs? Also is there any difference between these and a retail copy of the same game? I.E. missing levels, some kind of lockout, beta version etc. I would love to know because I'll keep these if they play like a regular copy. They must be kinda rare if they were for press only?

Yeah, I am pretty sure these were review copies. You can find boxed kits of these on eBay from time to time. Definitely nice looking collectibles if you can get them complete.

As far as I know, there aren't any differences between these and the final product (although I could be wrong).

- Other oddities are some games that have "NOT FOR SALE" plastered on them. Most have white borders and full color tags on them with logos and game art etc. One is a copy of FIFA 2005 that has a plain white tag on it without logos or game art with a green border. The third is a game called System Rush with a orange border and the white tag also without any kind of logo or art. Can anybody tell me what these are? They seem to play fine, but the only info I could find was a internet rumor about them being demo units that have a play time limit? Can anybody confirm / deny this? Like above do they differ in any way from a full retail version of the game? Or are they missing levels/content/etc.?

You got it--these are copies that were used at retail store kiosks, like what you would have seen at Electronics Boutique back in the day. Nothing special--the games are full-versions as far as I have been able to tell.

- The "PROTO" unit. This looks exactly like a regular N-Gage QD, same weight, feel, everything as a regular unit. The only difference is when the back cover is off the serial number is different, and it has "PROPERTY OF NOKIA: PROTO" written below the bar code. When I put in a battery it turns on ... but stops at the white screen with NOKIA at the bottom and does nothing else, so it doesn't boot up. Any idea of what this unit is, and is there any hope of getting it to work?

I'm not quite sure what this is. I used to have a QD store kiosk and those units were dumbed down. You couldn't do anything in the OS, but they would still play whatever game you tossed in. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about or not. If it's not booting, there's probably not much you can do with it.

- Multiplayer stuff. The N-Gage Arena is long gone by now, but what about multiplayer over blue-tooth? How user friendly is it to set up games? Is there any compatibility issue with one player using a Taco, and the other using a QD unit?

Just make sure the Bluetooth is activated on both units (I always keep mine off, no sense in wasting the battery). Inside games that are compatible, there will be a multiplayer option. It's pretty straightforward to figure out. There aren't compatibility issues playing between different styles of units--they are just communicating over Bluetooth, after all.

As far as the quality though, some games are better than others. Puyo Pop for instance, works pretty well. Ashen on the other hand, avoid the multiplayer in it. It is way too laggy.

- Last question is about a non-working used QD I got with a lot of games. It boots up, but then says "SIM card not valid" and refuses to go to the menu screen. I've tried the dummy sim that comes with a QD, an ATT sim card, and a T-Moblie. Nothing seems to work. Were the phones locked into service with particular carriers? What other sim cards could I try? Or is this a question of the unit being broken and not reading anything?

Sounds like you've basically tried everything you can. It's possible there are specific SIM cards tied to specific units, but I haven't heard anything about that. It's certainly a possibility. Generally, a dummy SIM will work fine, or a SIM card for the service provider the phone was designed for.

I wish I could go back a few years when the games were even cheaper than they are now and pick some of them up. Things are starting to get a little pricy for some of the rare games. With that said though I really am loving the little thing.

The majority of the library is still very cheap at the moment, with new/sealed copies still being available for under $10 a pop. Stuff like Colin McRae 2005, Sonic N, Pathway to Glory, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Ashen, Asphalt, etc., are all quality titles that shouldn't cost you much at all. It's those late-release titles that are tough to come by, and certain ones (like Mile High Pinball) go for a lot of money now. But, if you just want to play them, have a few MMC cards free, find a place to download them, and enjoy them without shelling out loads of cash.

If I had to use it as a phone my opinion may be a different, but for a classic handheld game system you can get for around 30-50 bucks it's a fantastic deal. Thanks for any help.

The QD was (and is, if you are still doing things oldschool) a solid phone as well. It makes me sad that things have evolved the way they have in the cellular world, with the current touchscreen interfaces. Sure, they are great for everything else you might want to do on a phone (internet, texting, gps, etc), but nothing beats the style of the N-Gage (or more recently, the Sony Xperia Play) for on-the-go gaming through a device that also doubles as a phone.

My original N-Gage is a solid phone as well, and it got the radio (bonus). I was never worried about side-talking, made it stand out actually

my complete collection:

allNGagegames2.jpg

NokiaN-Gage.jpg

NokiaGamePathwaytoGloryPreview.jpg

NokiaAccessories.jpg

I'm not collecting demos, betas, protos,

but I do have Asphalt Urban Demo version with leather gloves (big box), got it because it was cheap. And Pathway to Glory preview, which was $1

On the bottom left you see Payload (full download version including serial number to access full game), Flo Boarding (Euro pack-in), Snake (official d/l from Nokia site), and Super Fighter Block Battle (free game from Super Fighter Team).

I think the N-Gage has an excellent good-games bad-games ratio, far more good titles than bad ones.

If I remember right, a Sega Rally recently sold on ebay US for ~$450, so prices are going up.

Got these two off a torrent:

Ngage_Game_Virtua_CopAlienStorm.jpg

Edited by high voltage

I loved my QD, only retired it because it was falling apart (that rubber gasket along the rim) & I wanted a phone with a camera.

It was great having Puyo, Sonic Advance, King of Fighters, Worms World Party, and emulators on a phone.

Edited by Rex Dart

0710110...Ashen

0710179...Asphalt: Urban GT

0710220...Asphalt: Urban GT 2...........also as German promo box with leather gloves

0710216...Atari Masterpieces Vol. I

0710226...Atari Masterpieces Vol. II

0710120...Bomberman

0710137...Call of Duty

0710180...Catan

0710208...Civilization

0710170...Colin McRae Rally 2005

0710117...Crash Nitro Kart

0630794...FIFA Soccer 2004

0710153...FIFA Soccer 2005

0630787...Flo Boarding ..........(UK/German N-Gage pack-in)

0710160...Glimmerati

0710206...High Seize

0710155...King of Fighters EXTREME

0630797...Marcel Desailly Pro Soccer

0710204...Mile High Pinball

0630725...MLB Slam!

0630720...Moto GP

0630793...NCAA Football 2004

0710183...ONE

0710111...Operation Shadow

0630712...Pandemonium

0710109...Pathway to Glory

0710218...Pathway to Glory Ikusa Islands

0710133...Pocket Kingdom

0630719...Puyo Pop

0630726...Puzzle Bobble VS

0630796...Rayman 3

0630714...Red Faction

0710112...Requiem Of Hell

0710158...Rifts: Promise Of Power

0630722...Sega Rally Championship

0630718...Sonic N

0710121...Spider-Man 2

0710147...SSX: Out of Bounds

0630713...Super Monkey Ball

0710200...System Rush

0710139...The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey

0710164...The Roots: Gates of Chaos

0710113...The Sims Bustin’ Out

0710107...Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004

0710132...Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm

0710196...Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

0630795...Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Team Stealth Action

0630717...Tomb Raider

0630728...Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

0630723...Virtua Tennis

0710224...Warhammer 40,000

0710102...Worms World Party

0710103...WWE Aftershock

0710146...Xanadu NEXT

0710172...X-Men Legends

0710214...X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

...............Alien Front ..........(d/l available, full game? cancelled)

...............Barakel..........(d/l available, Spanish QD pack-in)

...............Creatures of the Deep ..........(d/l was canceled)

...............FIFA Soccer 2006 ..........(d/l available, homebrew hack)

...............Freestyle ..........(Spanish QD pack-in)

...............HinterWars ..........(Asian d/l online game only)

...............Leisure Suit Larry: Pocket Party ..........(not available)

...............Payload ..........(download to buy (defunct), demo version was availabe for d/ling)

...............Pocket Aces ..........(not available)

...............Pro Series Golf ..........(not available)

...............Sango ..........(d/l available, Chinese game)

...............Snakes ..........(available on mmc and d/l)

...............Space Impact ..........(pirate mmc version?)

...............Space Impact Evolution X ..........(UK Nokia N-Gage CD)

...............Taito Memories ..........(prototype)

Wow wonderful information to everybody that has posted so far. Very genuinely helpful stuff. Seeing some of these game collections is impressive to say the least. Looking at the prices some of these games sell for though means getting original copies for mysellf may be impossible. Guess I'll have to download a few of them. I have been impressed with what I've been abIe to find so far ... my collection is already about 35 games, and none of them were more than 20 dollars, most of them were much less.

I do have some updates for stuff I was tinkering with:

- I tried using the bluetooth linking a QD and a Taco unit for multiplayer. It does indeed work just fine. I suspected as much, but you never know with this sort of thing. I'll keep around one of each type of unit to try some games out with a friend of mine. He already agreed to play through the co-op campaign of Pathway to Glory with me. One of those fantastic exclusive games that came out early on in the systems life that you can get super cheap. I got a second copy of the game for $2.00 with free shipping, no joke lol. Besides I actually like the 1rst version of the phone in some ways better than a QD. It's bigger, but despite the size is lighter (mostly due to the battery), and some games I've tried feel better on the different control pad. Besides might as well have one of each : )

- The "PROTO" unit. To my suprise it does indeed work! I was swapping out different sim cards to try to get it to work again and when nothing was happening I just put it down in frustration to keep searching on the internet for clues. Then several minutes later when I picked it up it was at the regular operating system screen. I tried it again just to be sure and was relieved to see that it is a fully functioning unit. The only problem is that it takes significantly longer to load than a regular QD ... like about 4-5 min to boot up lol. It doesn't have any of the functionality of the phone, but it plays games just fine.

My last remaining question I suppose is still about the versions of the games. So far from what I tested and the help from information here:

-Silver Border is regular retail release of the game.

-Gold border is Gold Master Review kit meant for members of the press to write reviews - Plays exactly the same as the retail release version? (Both of the ones I have seem like complete games)

-White border is a demo copy sent to stores with a game display kiosk. Plays exactly the same as a retail release copy?.

-Green and Orange Border: Also like the white border, game demo units. Plays exactly like a retail release copy? Is there any reason most have white borders with full color logos and art, and the orange and green border games only have black and white text?

I do appreciate the games list btw, thank you. It's too bad that Payload was download only ... there are videos of it floating around out there and it seems like a pretty cool game. Interesting too that Sega Rally was Australia only. I saw a copy of the game for 90 bucks on some guys store just a few days ago and it's gone already ... I had no idea why any N-Gage game could be that expensive ... If I had only know that was a good price for it lol. I can't complain though because the majority of what I have came from a single auction. The guy I bought it from dumped his entire collection at once, and that's how I got so much rare stuff for a good price. At least like he wanted it went to somebody that appreciates it. Now I can sift through what I want to keep and sell some of the extras and stuff I don't want. Getting a little money back never hurt. Thanks again for all the help with my questions.

Do you have to do that every time somebody mentions n-gage?

It's for so other people can appreciate it without searching around :-)

The Payload demo version is out on torrents, I think it's a one-level demo, shame not many people took up the offer to buy it, it was only $9.99 to buy all the levels.

I could give people here the serial#, but that is no use because after you put the serial into the game, yopu have to register with your N-Gage on the Payload website, which is long gone (the company).

Edited by high voltage

Hmmm the link to the digitalpress forum was an interesting read (all 40+ pages of it). A trip through time starting with N-Gage collectors trying to buy the last of the games as they came out from Nokia, and ending with some posts with the silly prices the games sell for now. (450 dollars for Sega Rally, are you kidding me! The game isn't even supposed to be any good!) All the trouble trying to buy them from a single online retailer was interesting stuff. Now it makes more sense why some of the games sell for about 50+ dollars when they pop up for auction. Also answers the question I had about why my copy of Civilization has no bar code lol ... it never needed one.

I have to hand it to the Nokia games division though for what they did. Talk about a company that cared about its customers! The first attempt at entering the market with the original taco unit didn't work, so they quickly came out with the QD which fixed everything wrong with the original. Then they tried to put loads of money behind making a good game library and giving gamers what they wanted. Nokia did a poll to see what the most wanted game would be for the system, and the result was Advance Wars ... then BOOM High Seize gets made. Coolest thing they did though was releasing the last 10+ games. They must of lost quite a bit of money the way they did it. Having a single online retailer sell a few thousand copies of each game. Just about any other company would of thrown in the towel by that point, and they never would of been released. The last 10 games are probably some of the 10 best games for the system! Being a Jaguar owner myself I know what happens when a system dies an ugly death ... at least it wasn't nearly as bad for the N-Gage.

Sifting through that board also explained about the versions of the games. The yellow/gold are as advertised - Review copies for the press, exactly like the retail version. Green/White are demo cards that are exactly like the retail release version. The orange border copy of System Rush I have is some kind of beta version. Though I have no idea how this version differs from the final ... I've never played the real game, so I couldn't tell you. Kind of a bummer because I just want a regualar copy so I can play it :P Oh well on Ebay it goes. If I can find a copy of the full game I may report back just to say what got changed between versions. I find that sort of thing interesting anyway.

• 1 month later...

Wow very nice collection, from what you have I miss:

Asphalt Urban GT special edition and this pathway to glory special edition.

I have the last two prototypes, alien front and virtual cop with it's boxes!

Here you can see general photos of my collection:

20120313_223816.jpg

My original N-Gage is a solid phone as well, and it got the radio (bonus). I was never worried about side-talking, made it stand out actually

my complete collection:

allNGagegames2.jpg

NokiaN-Gage.jpg

NokiaGamePathwaytoGloryPreview.jpg

NokiaAccessories.jpg

I'm not collecting demos, betas, protos,

but I do have Asphalt Urban Demo version with leather gloves (big box), got it because it was cheap. And Pathway to Glory preview, which was $1

On the bottom left you see Payload (full download version including serial number to access full game), Flo Boarding (Euro pack-in), Snake (official d/l from Nokia site), and Super Fighter Block Battle (free game from Super Fighter Team).

I think the N-Gage has an excellent good-games bad-games ratio, far more good titles than bad ones.

If I remember right, a Sega Rally recently sold on ebay US for ~$450, so prices are going up.

Got these two off a torrent:

Ngage_Game_Virtua_CopAlienStorm.jpg

There's two other special editions out there Splinter Cell I think with a lamp and Pathway to Glory, extra contents I forgot::

SCCTbigbox.jpg

PtGbigbox.jpg

I think I'm one of the few who actually own the full Payload game with serial number, which I purchased when the website was still up

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

There's two other special editions out there Splinter Cell I think with a lamp and Pathway to Glory, extra contents I forgot::

SCCTbigbox.jpg

PtGbigbox.jpg

I think I'm one of the few who actually own the full Payload game with serial number, which I purchased when the website was still up

WOW I've never seen that splinter cell, I have of pathway to glory this:

151_eA.jpg

I have it duplicated and I hope one day I would be able to exchange one of them for other special editions. And this...it it wasn't inside the box you have, was in to a press kit of ikusa islands...

_1133_0.jpg

Edited by felisucoibi

that's a sweet collection. I used my QD for years as my cell phone and I loved it. i don't have that many games maybe a dozen or so, but I really did enjoy the system. THe only drawback is that you have to have a sim card in in order for it to work, unless someone knows a work around. i use my old ATT sim card so no problem for me. If you like sports games, even if you don't care for soccer, play FIFA< it's amazingly fun

• 4 years later...

I sold much of my collection a few years back, but held onto the QD system and the dual-card adapter. I recently started buying games for it again because there's really no other way to play it (no emulators, for instance). Also, there's no way to play backups, not that I've been able to get to work anyway. Tutorials online say you should, but I haven't been able to get the backup game images to function (PS, if anyone knows the trick to this, please get in contact with me). Fortunately, if you are patient you can still get a lot of N-Gage games relatively cheap, but they are by no means anywhere near as common as they used to be.