IGNORED

Atariware: Retro

atari2600land

So I was playing the 9-volt and 18-volt's stage of Warioware: Touched! for the Nintendo DS that is basically NES-style microgames. I thought "The Atari 2600 needs something like this!" so here. The first level is pretty obvious, and so will be the second level (which hasn't been programmed in yet.) Even though it says "EAT!" once you eat them all, nothing happens, but you can reset the game and do it again if you like. ;)

atariware1.bas.bin

atariware1.bas

• Like 1

I think this will have the same issues as Action 52 for the 2600. The smallest bB game was, like 1k right? That was with stripping out some functionality too, I think. 32kSC is the biggest one can go right now. That means at best 32 games.

The only option I can see is making a game engine that can turn off or on certain game elements to make individual mini-games. Kinda like ROM CHECK FAIL

• Like 2

I think this will have the same issues as Action 52 for the 2600. The smallest bB game was, like 1k right? That was with stripping out some functionality too, I think. 32kSC is the biggest one can go right now. That means at best 32 games.

Have you played WarioWare? The games I'm making aren't games per se, but microgames, all of which will be probably 1k or less. For example, in the Super Mario Bros. microgame, it's not the whole game, just an action of a game, like step on a Goomba. So they don't need to be full games. Here's the third one (after you complete the first and second ones.) I couldn't fit the action you're supposed to do on the screen, but I bet you can figure it out.

atariware3.bas.bin

atariware3.bas

I've played the GBA WarioWare games. I still have no faith that a good amount of mini games can be packed into one cart. Prove me wrong - PLEASE!! This is a very good idea from a person who has the skills to complete such a project :)

I also thank you for sharing the source. You pull off the classic sound effects PERFECT!! Really brings back memories :) I hope to learn from your sound generation techniques.

Edited by theloon

Why won't this work?

Compile started at 6/21/2012 11:09:19 PM
Compiling C:\Users\Chris\Documents\bb\atariware5.bas
DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler (C)1988-2003
  bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
  bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
  2080 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
  1380 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
  2080 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
  1380 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
--- Unresolved Symbol List
pfcenter				 0000 ????		 (R )
pfwidth				  0000 ????		 (R )
scorefade			    0000 ????		 (R )

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.
Errors were encountered during assembly.
2600 Basic compilation completed.
Compilation completed at 6/21/2012 11:09:19 PM
view output file:///C:/Users/Chris/Documents/bb/bin
Post compilation files deleted
[6/21/2012 11:09:45 PM] saving C:\Users\Chris\Documents\bb\atariware5.bas succeeded.

atariware5.bas

It compiles fine for me. This reminds me of my situation with MSDPC.BAS no longer compiling for me. Because all our bB/VisualbB folders are stuffed with various versions of includes, libraries and betas of bB related files stuff like this is hard to solve. That's why I suggested a new semi-official or official package with ALL the latest files.

In the meantime I'd suggest setting aside your current bB folder and recreating it by downloading the full distribution and any needed updates.

• 6 months later...

Since I got Hot Pixel for the PSP (which, coincidentally was made by "Atari"), I decided to take up this project again. Several angry outbursts later (as it turns out, my computer doesn't like score bars nor status bars), i got this. I guess I'm going to have to change the name, luckily the game name hadn't appeared in the game yet. The score is the timer. There's only four mini games so far: Pac-Man eating dots, E.T. getting out of a pit, opening a castle in Adventure and shooting a tank in Combat. Anyone have any suggestions of new minigames I could put in here based on Atari 2600 games? Regarding the number of minigames I can put in the game, since 3 fit in one bank and I have 8 banks, I figure with title screen, about 20 or so if I make this 32k. I wish bB could make 64k games, though.

atari6.bas.bin

atari6.bas

Not a suggestion for a single game. You might want to take some drawing paper and brainstorm game mechanics. Find elements that can be mixed and matched to make separate "games". Instead of worrying over space for single games you could stuff in different level layouts, sprites, control factors (zero-g, top down, gravity, etc..) enemy patterns and so on

Let the games generate themselves!

• 1 month later...

I've always thought about doing something like this in bB, but never attempted it. I always enjoyed playing the old warioware game with my kids and playing around with this was pretty fun. This is definitely worth expanding on, I think lots of people would enjoy it if you took the time to expand it and polish it up. Nice Job! :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It occurs to me that the batch files I posted in this thread may be useful as a way of connecting these games together in Stella. You can set the amount of time for one game before it switches to the next. You'll have to keep track of the score yourself, but I think that is a problem in any case, because each mini-game is a separate ROM.

• 7 months later...

I'm back working on this again. The last file I posted was broken, no shot could be fired. So now you need to touch the qotile, then the missile will appear, and then you shoot. Regardless of whether the shot hits or not, the game loops. By the way, I tried this out on a real CRT-TV, and the flickering was barely noticeable.

OK, I have Pac-Man, ET, Adventure, Combat, and now Yars' Revenge. What (fairly simple) game should I micro make next?

atariware7.bas

atariware7.bas.bin