IGNORED

game comes up, but not controls.

Norannyo

Hey guys, I'm really starting to like these forums,, like minded gamers.

anyway..

I got a few thrift store pickups today, I got 4 2600 games to play on my 7800.

Actually since I'm new to collecting for the 7800, I only have 2600 games, as they

are somewhat easier to come by. All my 2600 games work, except the ones I got today.

I got Super Breakout, Combat, Street Racer, Infiltrate.

I put each one in, every time they showed up on the screen.. I could see the game, but I could not control it.

Put some of the ones I knew worked before back in, like DigDug, and it fired up fine and works with the awful 7800 controller.

So I put the genesis controller in, and same thing.. no controls.. for example, Super Breakout comes up looks alright with some noise, but it doesn't control, nothing I do will control it.

I then thought perhaps it was dirty? So i used the NES repair kit I bought, cleans the connectors really nicely.. always fixes dirty nes, genesis and snes games every single time. I cleaned all 4 Atari 2600 games, put them in, and still nothing. Street Racer for instance, shows the cars moving up and down, but it's like it's on a demo mode. Infiltrate does the same thing, it shows the colors and platforms, some tiny movement in the color changing, but nothing comes up. Combat just shows the 2 tanks on either side of the map, and a constant changing background color, as if it was also demonstrating or something. But no controls.

So my question is what is going on? could it still be dirty even though I really cleaned it good? this has to be pretty common for getting old Atari games from thrift stores.

All my other games, like centipede, Pacman, Mouse Trap, they all work fine with both controllers. But not these new ones. any ideas guys and potentially gals?

ahh yes.. you are correct. Although I knew this ahead of time, I made an assumption it was just "recommended" to play with the paddles. So I guess I'll be on the hunt for a couple of those.

One thing I noticed was when I pressed the reset button, Infiltrate worked fine.. Combat works, but I am unable to choose anything other than Tank levels. How do you select the planes, or different options. I tried select, and reset, but they don't really respond. Perhaps something wrong with the select button?

Not just "recommended" but REQUIRED -- the buttons on the paddles actually correspond to joystick directions, specifically left and right. One paddle button controls left, one button controls right. So if you were to try to use a joystick for a paddle game, the only thing that'll happen is pushing the joystick either left or right will basically translate to pushing a paddle button; that's IT.

And that's why some folks use paddles to cheat on The Activision Decathlon. (My method was to use a Vectrex controller -- buttons 3 and 4 corresponded to left and right; that was much easier than using paddle controllers!)

ok , so i've probably got to open the machine up and look at the select button? what should I look for specifically? does anyone know?

Also I just got some more pickups from the flea market.. although I remmeber playing Atari 2600, and 7800 when I was a kid, i'm still quite new to the setups.. So I picked up some paddles..

I don't actually understand how they work, even after reading Dauber's post.

So For instance, Let's say I put in Centipede. As Dauber mentioned, I press the buttons on the paddes, one paddle button goes left, one goes right on the other paddle. Confusing to be honest. Is this right? Or is it just a game mode that it's defaulted to because my select button may not be working?

I was expecting me to be able to play a one player game with just ONE of the paddles.. is this possible? by selecting a different game type? if the button worked?

Also side note: I just bought and played Food Fight for the first time, it's awesome!

centipede is a joystick game. you might want to look at the instruction, a lot of them are available here: http://www.atariage.com/system_items.html?SystemID=2600&ItemTypeID=MANUAL

here are the instructions for using the joystick in centipede: http://www.atariage.com/manual_page.html?SystemID=2600&ItemTypeID=MANUAL&SoftwareLabelID=71&maxPages=12&currentPage=7

good luck and have fun!