IGNORED

Incognito board preoder

candle

you would need antic and gtia plus some parts you can pick up in any store

the only thing left to get is crystal you need to change - you may pull that out from broken pal XL board, or buy from one of atari suppliers

mine was ntsc, but now is 100% PAL

This is INTERESTING ... Could you tell me more about those 'some parts'?

And why is it so much harder to convert 1200xl from NTSC to pal?

Hi,

And why is it so much harder to convert 1200xl from NTSC to pal?

Hmm, this isn´t "hard". You´ve only to change the ANTIC & GTIA against PAL versions, replace the system crystal and add a little circuit to generate the PAL color clock @ 4,43 MHz.

post-15670-0-16050900-1343305034_thumb.jpg

This was one of my first conversions to PAL.

Regards, Juergen

Hmm, this isn´t "hard". You´ve only to change the ANTIC & GTIA against PAL versions, replace the system crystal and add a little circuit to generate the PAL color clock @ 4,43 MHz.

Ah... we could have used your help when Lenore was designing the adapter board. :) I tried to build one similar to the one in your picture, but it never worked for s**t.

Anyway: Lenore's adapter (now working fine, I'm told) sits in the GTIA socket, and is almost a solderless upgrade (still need to change the master crystal, of course).

Is the crystal (on the old Beige 800) located on the CPU/ANTIC/GITA card, or on the motherboard? If it is on the CPU card, could you then change a machine back and forth by merely swapping the NTSC CPU card for a PAL one?

Sloopy! Can you "make" PAL 800s one day? :)

The crystal is unfortunately on the motherboard. The other thing too, the CPU card is installed under the nuclear bomb proof shielding. It takes forever to get at it. It's possible that a board which allows for selectable crystals could be made, but IIRC, there is a bit of additional circuitry besides just the crystal needed, to get the proper colourburst divisor.

Hi,

Ah... we could have used your help when Lenore was designing the adapter board. :) I tried to build one similar to the one in your picture, but it never worked for s**t.

Anyway: Lenore's adapter (now working fine, I'm told) sits in the GTIA socket, and is almost a solderless upgrade (still need to change the master crystal, of course).

Of course I will help, when I can. But I do nothing special ;-)

The little circuit for the PAL generator is 1:1 used from the 800 XL schematics, I use all the components like in a stock 800 XL.

Jürgen

i'll get back to everyone who send me PM about additional incognito boards in a day or two, currently i want to have first panel assembled by hand and design verified

at this moment 3 chips from each board are missing, bottom side is fully populated, top is missing some parts

hopefully i'll do it today (well, when i wake up)

it has R/W ram at d700-d7ff, but it's there for internal PBI device

what is ultra-speed os? does it has any advantages over Hias modified stock os?

having $d700-$d7ff mapped constantly as RAM will cause incompatibilities with extensions like VBXE or MIO, so i would rather walk away from this

anyways, here is updated list, please check if everything is as it should be

it has R/W ram at d700-d7ff, but it's there for internal PBI device

what is ultra-speed os? does it has any advantages over Hias modified stock os?

having $d700-$d7ff mapped constantly as RAM will cause incompatibilities with extensions like VBXE or MIO, so i would rather walk away from this

anyways, here is updated list, please check if everything is as it should be

The CSS US+ OS has some extra features, these include a configuration menu which allows remapping drives, a built-in RAMdisk handler which recognizes any size XE-type memory upgrade up to 2MB, and an enhanced memory test routine which has been rewritten and tests all of the available memory.

Information about all the features can be found on Bob Puffs current website: http://www.nleaudio....ss/products.htm. The information provided doesn't mention anything about SRAM being part of the module but it is only describing the features, not the technical details.

ok laidies

here is first panel and the only panel i've assembled manually to verify the design

This should fit my modded 800 perfectly!!

That has some really rough-looking plastic joints. ;-)

(Your copy of photoshop needs the sandpaper plugin.)