IGNORED

Incognito board preoder

candle

Heh... how typical is this. Spent two hours waiting for Xilinx design tools to install on an archaic PC belonging to my wife's uncle which - of course - happened to have a working LPT port, flashed the JED file to the Incognito board, and then five minutes later the LPT port for the new PC dropped onto the doormat. :)

Anyway - it's done, so I'll test the button functionality today and if all is well, the boards can ship out. :D

Heh... how typical is this. Spent two hours waiting for Xilinx design tools to install on an archaic PC belonging to my wife's uncle which - of course - happened to have a working LPT port, flashed the JED file to the Incognito board, and then five minutes later the LPT port for the new PC dropped onto the doormat. :)

Anyway - it's done, so I'll test the button functionality today and if all is well, the boards can ship out. :D

flashjazzcat, aka port killa

To be clear, I meant the parallel port for the new PC arrived on the doormat courtesy of the postman. This appeared to have rendered the effort of the previous two hours unnecessary; however, I can't get the JTAG cable to work with the PCI bracket on the new machine yet, so it seems using that old PC was time well invested after all. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat

To be clear, I meant the parallel port for the new PC arrived on the doormat courtesy of the postman. This appeared to have rendered the effort of the previous two hours unnecessary; however, I can't get the JTAG cable to work with the PCI bracket on the new machine yet, so it seems using that old PC was time well invested after all. ;)

What is the Jtage cable used for ? is that something we need for the incognito board ? and do we need a PC parallel port?

What is the Jtage cable used for ? is that something we need for the incognito board ? and do we need a PC parallel port?

It's used to update the Xilinx chip firmware on the board, and is (hopefully) something that only beta-testers and software developers like me will ever have to do. :)

It's used to update the Xilinx chip firmware on the board, and is (hopefully) something that only beta-testers and software developers like me will ever have to do. :)

I'm still waiting for instructions (or link to) to build a JTag cable so I can upgrade my old U1MB firmware to the new U1MB firmware :P

Robert

Which programmer do you have, USB or Parallel Port?

A pic would help ;)

From what I understood the JTAG cable FJC is talking about is just a cable connecting to the parallel port. So no programmer needed, just a PC with parallel port. But when searching on the internet I see many variants of a JTAG cable and I don't know which one is needed for the U1MB. So a pointer to the required cable and programmnig software would be appreciated :).

I have a cheap USB Genius G540 eprom/flash/avr/pic/pal programmer but that does not support JTAG devices.

Robert

Robert, what you would need for u1mb upgrade is jtag cable called "xilinx download cable" and these are available in two flawours - one is lpt and obsolete, but it is cheap and does it job well, and the other is pretty expensive and usb based

but best would be to discuss it in separate thread to prevent users of being confused

Sebastian

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for instructions (or link to) to build a JTag cable so I can upgrade my old U1MB firmware to the new U1MB firmware :P

I wrote instructions for the flashing process and sent them to Sebastian some time ago for approval. I think a couple of minor revisions were required. All that's needed are the LPT cable building instructions adding on.

I tend to agree, though, that we need a separate thread for this.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Robert

But ehm... to feed the confusion a bit more... why do you want to do that this way? The firmware itself can be flashed from atari without the need of any cable.

But ehm... to feed the confusion a bit more... why do you want to do that this way? The firmware itself can be flashed from atari without the need of any cable.

Hi Marius,

It is not the U1MB flash chip with the firmware (software) for the Atari I'm talking about. There are two types of firmware in the U1MB:

• The flash memory chips contain the firmware (software) used by the Atari computer. This one can be programmed in system and is the one you are talking about.
  • The Xilinx chip contains the programmable logic firmware which ties the components (flash, Atari, ram, etc) together at a hardware level. This is the firmware I'm talking about. This can only be updated by a JTAG cable and not in system.

The same is true for the Incognito board which also contains these two kinds of firmware.

In case of the U1MB, the latests U1MB batch has updated programmable logic in the Xilinx chip to make it possible to use the SIDE card as a PBI device. The old version of U1MB can also be updated with the new logic but this requires an update of both the Xilinx chip firmware and the Atari firmware.

Robert

the reason i'm not responding to any incognito buy request is i don't have the time for my hobby right now, and i belive it would be unfair to just take the money and put yet another person on wait

what was the reason for preorder thread was to be able to buy components in bulk quantities, so the final price could be met, but right now it would be simply unfair and pointless

current status is, that bios code stable and running flawlessly, the same goes for Jon's PBI driver (i belive, right Jon?), so all i really need is to get some free time i could spend testing these boards and shipping them out

there are two or three days of intensive work ahead, and then i'll have that time - all i can promise right now it's just that it won't take much longer, but right now, i must do what puts food inside my family's mouths

Sebastian