IGNORED

Our Review of Yestercades Red Bank & Silverball Museum Asbury Park, NJ

Greg2600

Hey all. So Rob(2600) and I ventured to the New Jersey Shore, and visited the Yestercades Arcade in Red Bank, NJ (yestercades.com), as well as the Silverball Pinball Museum in Asbury Park, NJ (silverballmuseum.com). We got a few interviews, and discussed the joints on our podcast, The Paunch Stevenson Show. We also visited the Jay and Silent Bob comic book store.

Just a brief review on my part. I loved both places, they are inexpensive to visit, no quarters needed, and the games work very well. I am not a huge pinball guy, but I found Silverball to be amazing. The sheer number of games was amazing. I had the most fun though playing the old mechanical bowling game from the 50's, and the old electromechanical light gun games! Yestercades has over 70 arcade machines, and 16 or so pinball machines. They also have almost every console system released in the US! Boardgames too. Now we've been to the Barcade's in Brooklyn and Jersey City, and they have a great selection of classic games, but most are pre-crash. Yestercades has a great selection from our childhood, late 80's early 90's. Granted the cabinets are sometimes no longer in pristine condition, but they all worked great, and we had a great time. This was the first retro arcade we've been to that truly recaptures the small strip mall style arcades of our youth. You will not be disappointed there, and the owner Ken is a hardcore classic gamer.

Listen to Episode 197 and enjoy!

Pictures and Videos taken from Yestercades Arcade in Red Bank, NJ:

Flickr – Yestercades, Red Bank, NJ 5/25/2012

7279162722_7b96331a80_n.jpg

You Tube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tus5ILpfWGk

Pictures and Videos taken from Silverball Museum in Asbury Park, NJ:

Flickr – Silverball Museum, Asbury Park, NJ 5/25/2012

7273859468_d09cb7ae74_n.jpg

You Tube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0VyI5keHA

PS: For our Barcade Jersey City Review go here: Episode 177

Flickr – Barcade, Jersey City, NJ 8/20/11

6126991296_3abfe22c69_n.jpg

*Apologies for having to look at our dumb mugs in some of these photos!

Sweet! I have been planning to visit there (Yestercades and Silverball). It's about an hour away from me, so I'll have to head to both locations real soon!!!

Barcade is about 10 min from my house. I try to get there as often as possible!

benny (and anybody else) -- I'll be in Jersey in a couple of weeks...I might be interested in going to Yestercases (maybe even Silverball too) but would rather not go alone...let me know if you want to get together -- I'll be there the week of July 9, but I'm not available on the weekend because I'll be at HOPE in NYC...

Drat...where was Yestercades when I worked in Red Bank 11 years ago?!

And ditto Silverball -- they moved in like two years after I moved out of Ocean Grove!!

Thankfully, though, where I live now retro arcades seem to be popping up all over the place. :)

Edited by Dauber

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Yestercades this afternoon. In short? AWESOME! I've been to several retro arcades -- mostly in and around Chicago -- but this is my favorite so far. Wow...I now have a reason to be excited about my semi-annual trips to New Jersey! Great selection of games -- arcade games from just about every "classic" generation, a full range of home consoles (including an Odyssey2!), board games, jukebox on freeplay, ping pong table, pinball machines -- and despite this thread, the presence of Baby Pac-Man caught me off-guard!

As far as I could tell, there wasn't a single "multicade" or pirated machine.

And the most important thing about my visit? Immediately upon entering, there was that ever-so-recognizable scent of burning electronics, something I haven't smelled since Bally's Aladdin's Castle's heyday...oh, man, that was awesome...

I shared a small photo album on AtariAge's Facebook group...

Seriously, GO TO YESTERCADES. IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!

Glad you liked it! What's funny is the owner said when he signed the lease, he figured it was big enough, but quickly ran out of room! He has a hard time passing up good deals on old games. I think maybe X-Men 4 player was installed in a donor cabinet, but that maybe it. My friend Rob and I grew up going mainly to a small arcade on route 46 called Plaza Game Room, and this place is bigger than it but not by much.

Edited by Greg2600

• 1 month later...