IGNORED

Has anyone else been disappointed by the Vita?

While I loved Plants vs. Zombies, nothing on the Vita has captured my attention at all. I found this to be a surprise, as I loved both Lumines and Lumines II, and was hoping that Electronic Symphony would be an expansion of the idea instead of the cheapo retread it seems to be. Has anyone found an indigenous game for the system that actually justifies its asking price?

I' ve found Pinball Arcade to be rather neat myself for starters,it has better resolution than PHOF did on the PSP.Also,Resistance Burning Skies is fun in Infrastructure gaming with up to 8 players.Uncharted was a neat title.Hot Shots and FIFA were neat too.Little Deviants has some fun moments.Asphalt was sort of a neat racer.Marvel I have but haven't played yet.I would like to see more games out there myself though.The July 3rd PA update\upgrade in one thing I'm looking forward to here,as Bride of Pin*Bot is the best of the two tables for me on the last update we just got. ;)

I am satisfied I guess with mine so far. I seem to spend most of my time on the free Montezuma's Blitz. It makes for a nice quick 5 minute break. I have bought all of the PSN games except for PulzAR so far. I haven't enjoyed any of the AR games yet, and I doubt I ever will. The required setup, lighting, and angles makes it awkward for me. I have enjoyed Hot Shots and MLB the most of my physical games. The price point on the games has made my library increase slowly. $30 is my max and $20 is where I will buy most of the games. I am up to 7 physical games so far. I have heard of a bunch of games I don't have being at the $20 price point at Sony Stores, so if that is true, I may up my library in the near future (as long as Sony Outlet Stores are included). I bought a 3G model and found the 3G absolutely useless, but I am not too bitter as I hope they may do something with it in the future, if not Oh well. I promptly discontinued the data plan after the two months. The memory pricing is insane, I received an 8GB card with my bundle for free however. It is just about right, maybe a little small for what I do (buy the PSN games and all others physically). I have about 2 GB free for movies and music with all of the AR games deleted. I found a place that has the 32GB for $50, it is set to be delivered Monday, so I will know if I was ripped off or it was an actual deal then.

I played the Gravity Rush demo and it seemed pretty neat. I will probably get that when I can find it for around $25.

OH, and there seem to be a ton of games that require an online pass. If you are going to buy used, make sure you research that and determine if the online pass is even something you are interested in.

Anyone interested in the Vita might want to hang out if front of a GameStop and watch for someone trading one in.

We ordered a pizza yesterday and there is a GameStop right next to the pizza place. When I went to pick up our pizza, a guy came out of GS grumbling to his friend that he only received $90 trade-in value for his WiFi Vita. I couldn't help it but asked "You took $90 for your Vita?" and he replied "Yeah, I didn't like it".

Hell, even though I don't have a real interest in the system, I might have given him $125 just to play around with it some and then sell it if it disappointed me.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I did receive my 32GB Vita memory card today. At $50 I still feel I overpaid, but it is better than Amazon's $82. It is used and didn't come in any impressive packaging. It was taped to my invoice inside an appropriately small box, though the box looked to have been used a couple times. I dropped it into my Vita and BAM there I had 29GB of free space. Unless the hacker/pirate/thieves have figured out how to trick the system menu already, it is legit. I got it at webuy.com . Supposedly they have small secondhand shops in some of the big East Coast cities. Take that for what it's worth.

BTW, I used Paypal so I would have a chance for recourse in case I got ripped off, I also used my CC as the funding source so I would have two shots at making it right if it went wrong. The paypal page came up in Spanish, I just changed the es to en in the address bar.

Edited by Elw00d

The PS Vita is a wonderful machine. Not only is it graphicly impressive, but for once, a company other than Nintendo nailed the gameplay aspect perfectly. The physical controls are great: two analogs, an old school D-pad, and just enough touch screen interaction to keep things tactile and engaging, but not so much that it becomes like a phone. The Vita is definitely doing something new.

Software looks promising. I have Rayman, and it plays like it was built for that system. A lot of excellent demos out there as well.

Looks like a great machine, but the software's not there yet. Wipeout's nice, but I still have those two PSP games to complete.

I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually, maybe after a price drop / slimmed down model / system jailbreak hack / memory card price drop.

The problem with Android clones is you don't get games from people like the wonderful Gravity Rush team!

between the Mini's available, and the current library, and the fact that the thing isn't even 6 months old, I would say the Vita is doing a kickass job of delivering the goods.

None of the games on the Vita are really BAD. Some are kinda ho-hum (Army Corps From Hell)... and others are just awesome.

Wipeout is a very crisp looking handheld game, and the new Katamari for it is pretty great. I'm not a Katamari fan, but it was still great to play it.

Little Deviant's is one of the goofiest games I have ever played, but it was fun. It makes good use of the altered reality concept.

How much are the memory cards? Why the f*** can't they keep using Memory Stick Pro Duo? Oh, no proprietary enough, eh? HA HA.

Can you watch MP4 videos on it like with PSP, or is that locked down?

The memory pricing is insane. Keep in mind, you MUST have a memory card to play any retail or PSN games. Going from 4-8-16-32 GB the current Amazon pricing is $16-$24-$46-$81 new. I haven't read the articles, but the posts on message boards have indicated that even though the prices are high the read and write speeds are sub-par. I haven't noticed any drawbacks from this slower speed though. They probably dropped the Pro Duo because it is so large compared to memory today (and why not create another revenue stream? SOB's). You can put videos on the VITA and watch them, I think I use m4v files. Not real sure, I'll have to look at my handbrake settings.

Back to address the original question.............I am only disappointed by the pricing strategy by Sony. The actual unit is nice, but if I didn't have as much expendable income I would have to pass. The entrance price is high.

Has anyone else been disappointed by the Vita?

Yes. As one of the few PSP fans, both for hacked options and official PSP software, I looked forward to the Vita.

So far I have played one for several hours, but there is too much against it for me. Memory Sticks an annoyance with the PSP, but eventually there were Micro SD adapters that made things much cheaper. The new memory card format is too much for me to handle, both in price and yet another standard that I have to deal with.

The game prices are ridiculous.

I refuse to pay the same price for downloaded content that I do for physical media. Sony has been bad with that for years, but it's even worse now.

I love what the Vita offers, but refuse to adopt their models (yet again) for proprietary memory cards and another closed system with few games that I'm interested in playing. With the PSP, Sony promised many things but only homebrew developers delivered. Even with many homebrew applications being open source, Sony chose to ignore those features and focus on fighting homebrew. When they finally delivered the few things that were promised (and already delivered by homebrew), it was a day late, a dollar short, and with far less flexibility of the homebrew. PSPRadio is my favorite example, a net radio streamer that showed up in 2005. When Sony finally delivered net radio streaming years later, it was a complete cluster F. All they had to do was use existing code to make a better application, but they failed on every level.

Even with CFW PSPs, I have over 150 physical PSP games, at least 40% purchased new. Sony didn't support me, and failed to deliver on what they promised with the PSP.

I have no faith that they learned anything about the PSP, and will continue to be as stupid with the Vita. I have seen no examples of how the Vita will be a better situation for ownership, and probably worse. As much as I want to love the Vita, it's a fail out of the gate.

• Like 1

I liked the internet radio app on PSP,man!I wish they'd bring it back for Vita too.

I'm not big on Sony moving to a new mem stick format and an internal battery like they did with Go though.I think Sony could've done slightly more with and for Vita on a few fronts.It is a fine unit in many ways though.I like the You Tube app and others that PSP didn't have and alll.I want to see more apps!

I've come to the realization that portables really need 2 years to prove their worth. It just takes that long to see what A-list games will be released, and how the parent company will treat the line. As far as the Vita goes, the hardware is promising, but like akator said, I have zero confidence that Sony will make the most of it.

• Like 1

I think the Vita hardware is great. The screen, controls, powerful CPU and GPU, are impressive. Sony did a great job in this regard.

The software is a different story.

The OS is pretty basic and lacking features. Firmware updates have yet to improve anything.

It had some great launch games, but there hasn't been much released since then. I know it takes time to develop a good game library, but I have no interest in any recent releases.

The Vita store is bad. You'd think sony would put more effort into this. None of the games show any screenshots. The movies are way overpriced and take up expensive memory space. The downloadable vita games are only slightly cheaper than retail releases and use up the expensive memory space.

I don't understand why a 3g model was even released. Sony needs to decide if they want a device that could potentially replace a smartphone or not. The data plans are too expensive. At least a Youtube app is coming out.

I don't use my Vita very much. I use my CFW PSP much more.

Time will tell if the Vita was a good buy. It sure doesn't pay to be an early adopter.

• 1 month later...

I love my handhelds, and I'm glad I didn't invest in a Vita on launch. I'll get one a few years from now and I'm sure I'll love it.

See, this was my attitude. Wait for the jailbreak wars to settle down and get a Vita when I can use it. Then I discovered there's plenty of Android portables out there (with wireless joysticks) now for much less.