IGNORED

Will an American Falcon work in the UK? PAL?

The STs at least use the MC1377 video encoder - it can be changed between Pal and NTSC by a pin connection.

But it's usually used in conjunction with an external colourburst crystal, in which case you'd need to change it from a 3.58 to a 4.43 one for Pal.

Then you have the OS Rom - they're usually region specific and will default to the local TV standard. And RF modulators will have channel # and audio seperation from video that mightn't suit your TV.

Best solution - just run on an ST or Amiga RGB monitor and 60 Hz video, there's software switchers to get it to 50 if you need that.

The STs at least use the MC1377 video encoder - it can be changed between Pal and NTSC by a pin connection.

But it's usually used in conjunction with an external colourburst crystal, in which case you'd need to change it from a 3.58 to a 4.43 one for Pal.

Best solution - just run on an ST or Amiga RGB monitor and 60 Hz video, there's software switchers to get it to 50 if you need that.

Beside crystal you need to replace filter too. Not so simple - getting proper components in first place.

Of course you can run on some VGA - what is, I guess easier to find today.

I thought the Falcon had regional settings for TV/ hz built into the NVRAM settings (at least on mine it's the case, though I've not had need to try it)? As long as this still has battery power, you can make the changes using a small program. You should also be able to swap out the power supply for a British one without to much problem iirc

I thought the Falcon had regional settings for TV/ hz built into the NVRAM settings (at least on mine it's the case, though I've not had need to try it)? As long as this still has battery power, you can make the changes using a small program. You should also be able to swap out the power supply for a British one without to much problem iirc

That's right. But you can not set different color encoding than built-in (PAL instead NTSC), or PS for different voltage :-D

What makes confusion is that PAL or NTSC is not only 50 or 60 Hz, 625 or 525 lines. More important is color encoding system. And it is not controllable by SW even in newer computers, mostly. So don't expect miracles from old Falcon.

However, all it is irrelevant when use RGB or VGA (what is in fact RGB too, just on higher freq.) .

What makes confusion is that PAL or NTSC is not only 50 or 60 Hz, 625 or 525 lines. More important is color encoding system. And it is not controllable by SW even in newer computers, mostly. So don't expect miracles from old Falcon.

However, all it is irrelevant when use RGB or VGA (what is in fact RGB too, just on higher freq.) .

So is this related to the modulator itself? Or something more integral to the design?

There's quite a few extra components needed for PAL (see 1st couple pages of the Falcon schematics). The encoding is done by a 1377 (same as the STs), which 'speaks' PAL and NTSC, just needs the appropriate colorburst clock.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Falcons are different to the ST in this respect.

* You can output the standard Falcon modes on a stock VGA monitor, so there's no need to use the RF-out, which is region specific. The output is also MUCH better quality than the RF feed.

* The TOS language / keyboard settings are not fixed (unlike on earlier TOS versions), so you can just select whatever language / keyboard layout you prefer.

* The power supply is NOT multi-system. You will need to swap it out for a UK one or get a transformer. You can get a transformer online for about £30-£40. Falcon PSUs are not common, but not as rare as you might think. However, if the one you have is healthy then the transformer is probabaly a better bet, since it also helps protect the Falcon from power spikes and feeds it a stable supply (something the PSU is poor at regulating by itself).