IGNORED

Anyone finish Final Fight CD solo?

ComputerSpaceFan

As a fan of Final Fight I am really enjoying Final Fight Double Impact on PSN. It is arcade perfect and its best feature for me is the fact I can connect online with a second player just like the game was intended to be played.

But ... when PSN was down last year I soon learned that the big problem with these games is if you can't connect online, you can't play the game. Personally that ticks me off and I'm sure I'm not alone with this but this is not the subject of this post.

I have been looking at reviews of Final Fight CD for the Sega CD and it looks to be the next best thing. Practically arcade perfect, albeit with a lower color palette and occasional slowdowns but with the bonus of the animated intros, the better music, and the extra time attack levels they created.

However I was reading this review on Amazon which contains a lot of great details and I was a little disappointed when the guy said

Even when I adjusted the available lives and continues in the game to their maximum and played on the easiest difficulty setting, I was unable to beat the game (It was fun trying, but also annoying to know that time I screwed up a few levels ago is what kept me from going a few screens further at the end!). The lack of a save feature (uncommon in the day it came out) means you better be good!

because I will definitely be playing this game alone. So, I need to ask you Sega fanboys, is this true? Is the game unfinishable single-player?

I've finished it before. I've never done it on one credit, but I've definitely cleared it solo in the amount of credits given. It's difficult, but not nearly as insane as the arcade game (that is probably for the better).

The game has more lacking in the conversion outside of the lower color palette--attacking seems a little bit slower, and as you mentioned, there is a little bit of slowdown. Still the best home conversion not counting these newer emulated releases. :)

I love that game, it's the one game that really made my Sega CD seem worthwhile. I actually think it's better than the arcade version.

Maybe I'm blind, but the color palette argument never held water to me. I don't see it, the graphics are very good in this version.

Beating the game single player is hard but doable, I did it a few times back in the 90s. So basically I think the challenge is pretty well calibrated - you can beat it but you have to get a lot of experience first. I still find it hard though, I never reached a point where I didn't struggle with it.

I've never beaten Final Fight in 2 player, nobody I ever played with was very good at it.

Final Fight is a classic! i own an arcade machine of it.I think the Sega Cd version is do-able to be honest and it is not one of these games you have no chance of completing alone but i strongly recommend you play as Hagger as he can grab and then do a spinning pile drive which if i remember correctly can be useful when you are surrounded as you can land on top of other people and knock them away,this saves you having to use your emergency spinning attack which uses energy.

Maybe I'm blind, but the color palette argument never held water to me. I don't see it, the graphics are very good in this version.

I used to think it was arcade-perfect as well, but that was simply my memory failing me. In actuality, there is a big difference. I can't seem to find quality screenshots of specific areas side-by-side between versions, maybe I will take some myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I've beat Final Fight CD on all difficulties, but typically with the extra lives every xxxx many points option. I've also always had a joystick with turbo fire set on for the attacks. This makes the elbow throw a lot easier to do to keep enemies from crowding me. It's pretty much just a constant cycle of me doing the jumping in jab/knee, two or three hit combo, elbow throw, rinse and repeat. I also abuse the weapons with the turbo fire when I lose pace, I can even beat Katana (or whatever) with his own swords.