IGNORED

Was there ever a single game released on cartridge for the ST?

I didn't realise there was any freezer device for the ST.

It'd probably have been a relatively simple job, much less complex hardware than Amiga so somewhat easier to create/resume from a state file.

I'm surprised you didn't know. I had a Romantic Robot Multiface ST.

Oh ... someone's mentioned it.

There was also a company called Alpha Systems that sold battery backed up ram disks that connected to the cartdridge port. I think there was two models, a 1meg and 2meg version. Wanted one, but never could affort it back in the day. ;-)

I don't anyone bought one.

Someone did. There was a revised driver from, I think it was the CodeHeads.

Edited by lp060

Wasn't there some radio controlled helicopter sim that used the cart port?

R.C. Aerochopper was a cart with a connection for a modified Futaba controller.

IIRC, the game loads off of just the cart.

I ripped it out and it can be found here (if someone want made some modifications)...

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=23495

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any *games* came out on cart, though I remember reading somewhere there were some commercial games which used a basic dongle for copyright protection (you needed the dongle in order to run the game, even though the game was on disk)

Right. Like Leaderboard Golf - don't know what type of dongle was it.

Bat II used dongle for serial port, what was likely very primitive and cheap. But removing dongle check was really easy.

Btw. many games have check for cartridge presence, and if detect it, then usually delete whole RAM and similar - to prevent cracking, saving snapshot of RAM after all loadings.

• 2 months later...

The only game based cartridge peripheral that i know of is the sound module cart (that served as copy protection as well) for the game B.A.T. (Bureau of Astral Troubleshooters): a point and click sci fi adventure that reminded me heavily of Total Recall :)

Here's some info on the cart from good ole wiki:

The Atari ST version was notable in the fact that it shipped with a dongle purporting to be a 16-channel sound card. This was required to play the game, but resulted in no sound being transmitted to the attached monitor or television, and to get any sound at all the user was forced to either play the game wearing headphones plugged into the dongle, or purchase external speakers. It is also dubious whether the dongle produced higher quality sound, since the music did not feature any more channels than regular sound-chip music.

The card actually contained a 12-bit DAC, giving the dynamic range for 16 simultaneous 8-bits samples at the expense of the CPU given the lack of DMA. The game audio itself only used up to 4 simultaneous samples.

I liked this game quite a bit. Still have it CIB, looking to get the sequel... :)