IGNORED

FS: 2600 Activision Decathlon sealed

Chris-in-NJ

Drugstore find -- complete and sealed 2600 Activision Decathlon. I'm in the USA, anyone interested please PM me with offers. If we can reach an agreement before tomorrow morning, I'll ship it tomorrow.

There's another copy at the drugstore. If I get good enough offers I'll head out and buy the other one tomorrow too.

Payment with PayPal, please.

post-4361-0-46306500-1340656827_thumb.jpgpost-4361-0-86013900-1340656845_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It came as something of a surprise to me as well. The woman behind the counter told me it's been there since 1983, and I can believe it, as there are quite a few boxes of hair driers and cameras that look to be as old as that on the shelves.

I've had dreams like that where old Atari games and toys are just sitting on the shelf of some drugstore that hasn't changed it's look since it was built in 1968. Awesome. They probably didn't know that you could return unsold stock for store credit or they just figured that someone eventualyl would buy it! Still just superb.

I've actually come across a couple of such stores over the past few years and sadly, just regular indoor lighting will fade most boxes in a few years, not to mention normal shelf wear, dust, grime, etc...It's hard to tell from the photo if this game has lightfading, although just moving the glove sticker will be an easy way to determine that as there will be a different color under the sticker.

It came as something of a surprise to me as well. The woman behind the counter told me it's been there since 1983, and I can believe it, as there are quite a few boxes of hair driers and cameras that look to be as old as that on the shelves.

I've had dreams like that where old Atari games and toys are just sitting on the shelf of some drugstore that hasn't changed it's look since it was built in 1968. Awesome. They probably didn't know that you could return unsold stock for store credit or they just figured that someone eventualyl would buy it! Still just superb.

Must say it doesn't look at all faded to me! I could even see it while looking through the store's front window. Couldn't see the second one.

First one has been sold, I'm still awaiting offers and/or replies to PMs as to whether or not I'll buy the second one.

I was very fortunate to get a sealed 2600 Decathlon in an ebay auction last year for near dirt cheap. I love the box colors/art (mine does not have the 'glove' sticker, though).

It's just a great day when someone finds a sealed 2600 game in the wild at an actual store. I remember when Longs and Payless used to sell 2600 games. I think I drooled over Enduro for a few months until I saved up enough yard mowing/car washing money to buy it (and of course I was not disappointed!).

I remember when Longs and Payless used to sell 2600 games.

Payless, the shoe store?

It was cool seeing 2600 games at the grocery stores back in the day. Good ol' Data Age and Apollo. Osco, connected to the Jewel stores back then, had a nice selection of games hanging behind the counter and under glass. :)

• Like 1

Payless, the shoe store?

It was cool seeing 2600 games at the grocery stores back in the day. Good ol' Data Age and Apollo. Osco, connected to the Jewel stores back then, had a nice selection of games hanging behind the counter and under glass. :)

No, Payless the Drugstore. They bought out Thrifty and became Rite Aid. They were the same way too - games hanging behind the counter and some under the glass (in the photo dept). I remember buying 'Firefly' for $10 at Longs because I only had $10 and just had to have another 2600 game. The games under the glass were usually the Activision games or the boxes with the colorful artwork. Some of the silver boxed games in 1982 made it under the glass as well (like Ms. Pac-Man - an attractive box made to look like the Holy Grail under a glass counter). My grandpa lived down the street so when I would go visit him I would ride my bike (or walk) down to the Longs/Payless shopping center (they were right next to each other - it was crazy times back then) to look at the new 2600 games and then I would go to our local Peter Piper Pizza to play some arcade games. Funny - they only sold 2600 games and not 5200 or other platforms.

• Like 1

Longs is where I bought my very first Atari 2600 game from. got them there till a toys R us opened up down the street.

Rick

The Toys R Us in Bakersfield has always been located on Ming Ave (South West), which was about a 20 minute drive from where I lived in East Bakersfield. I only went there a few times a year. We had a Kmart down the street (where I bought my first 1050 disk drive for $199) so I rode my bike there (a nice 7-11 was just down the street where I used to get ice cream and play Defender). Back then most of the prices were about the same on games/systems so it was not a big deal to go to Kmart or Longs (Kmart was actually a bit cheaper on most items back then). Toys R Us slowly had better prices (especially when I started buying 800xl items) and of course Walmart and Target eventually had the best prices, but not so much back in the mid to late 80s. Ah, the memories just keep flooding in.

Just curious about the price on a sealed Decathlon.....I have one sealed and comparing the prices on ePay and online it is way off from what I paid.

Still I probably will open it and play it when I can't resist the temptation anymore......it beckons me at night!

Just curious about the price on a sealed Decathlon.....I have one sealed and comparing the prices on ePay and online it is way off from what I paid.

Still I probably will open it and play it when I can't resist the temptation anymore......it beckons me at night!

The last few I have seen sealed mint have gone for under $20 each on Ebay. I know Atari2600.com has had copies for a while for $10, although they tend to be slightly dinged or dented and it's the later 7800 compatible sticker version (although I believe there was only one run of this cartridge, with the 7800 box stickers just being added when the stock was dumped during the 7800 era). In any event, I would encourage you to open it as it's not super valuable, there are plenty out there and the game is really quite fun. . .