IGNORED

Atari SALT Cartridge v2.07

sydric

Hello! We recently received an Atari SALT (Stand Alone Test) cartridge v2.07 at the Personal Computer Museum.

I've added it to our database here:

http://pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=39876&type=Software

The cartridge is in a regular Atari brown casing. Doing some poking around I see that there were several variants of this cartridge, (BEST ones for example) - yet I can't find one with this type of label on it.

Can anyone shed some light on exactly which one we have (and out of curiosity, what it's worth - not that we're selling it, just curious).

Thanks as always for any input!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Here is an old thread!!!

I wonder if it is possible to recreate the SALT using a blank cartridge PCB and the appropriate components. Is the circuit available anywhere?

There's nothing fancy to the ROMs of any of the SALT cartridges I've found; I've put a couple versions on my UNO Cart and used them to test the 1200XL I brought back from the dead last summer.

• Like 1

Here is an old thread!!!

I wonder if it is possible to recreate the SALT using a blank cartridge PCB and the appropriate components. Is the circuit available anywhere?

it is possible with some minimal jiggery-pokery. see the link below

https://www.insentricity.com/a.cl/200/A800-2764

Excellent! It sound like one could just put the ROM file on to the 'UltimateCart', for instance and then run it like normal?

I am quite tempted at having a go at making an dedicated custom cartridge for the job though.

it is possible with some minimal jiggery-pokery. see the link below

https://www.insentricity.com/a.cl/200/A800-2764

This looks fairly straightforward then! Just a job of finding an, specifically Atar 800 cartridge and slightly modifying the circuit. Have you done this? If so could you tell me the name of the base cartridge you used?

Excellent! It sound like one could just put the ROM file on to the 'UltimateCart', for instance and then run it like normal?

I am quite tempted at having a go at making an dedicated custom cartridge for the job though.

This looks fairly straightforward then! Just a job of finding an, specifically Atar 800 cartridge and slightly modifying the circuit. Have you done this? If so could you tell me the name of the base cartridge you used?

i am waiting for delivery of some 2764 EPROMs then i will have a go using a 'brown-case' basic cart.

if successful i will try to make a dedicated super salt cart using a 27128 EPROM as per this guide

https://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/sockets.html:

• Like 1

Yes, it will show up in the ROM list. After you select it as the cart type, the system will cold boot with the .CAR image you selected and you can run the tests - well, the ones that don't need the test-box dongle connected (for testing the paddle and joystick lines etc).

• 7 months later...

+1

Has this cartridge been dumped?

I found this disk in my pile, I don't know IF the cart is on there or its just the dumper software but I THINK the cart IS on there....Can't read it with any dos (properly) 000 sectors free..

Edit: from looking at the disk with a hex editor I'm now more sure its on there..There's certainly some testing related stuff on the code and ASCII

400-800 SALT207-8.atr

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

there was a common version of 2.05 mis-labelled as 2.07

so rumours of it in the wild may be exaggerated

Edited by Guest

Can't be sure but the hexedit shows something like a SALT type item.

The disk name is not of my making, I presume its from Jindroush himself...

Needs someone who can check it out 100%.....No idea if its mislabelled either, just thought when I did a search on my stuff I'd post what 'looks' like it might be something..

Thank you MrFish...Well thank Yinrdroush (sp) in the first place for dumping it...

Was trying to get it off the disk with Omnivore but I eventually found out that ZoneAlarm's real time virus check was stopping Omnivore .15 from booting up.I'd have probably struggled to get it off anyway :) I saw that it started at 710 in terms of where it was on the disk..

Thanks again...