IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Holy.... :love:

Thanks for the kind words guys - really.

The graphics were mostly done by PAC-MAN-RED - so I'm thanking him. :)

I'm actually kind of stuck at the moment, but I'm working on it ;)

Aside from the thank you's, it's waaaaay too early for keeping a list - I have too far to go. Also, I need to address some specific messages:

@DanBoris - thank you for the wonderful compliment - this all started from the sprite demo you posted so long ago. ;)

@Trebor - I actually had planned on making the difficulty switch either swap the buttons, or change the 'jump' to 'up' on the joystick for people who have the original prolines (thanks Yurkie) ;)

@Allan - It uses the same CCII entry as Crossbow.

@Rybags - I was trying to imitate what happens in Crystal castles when Bentley dies - I figured the enemies should die that way too ;)

Thanks again guys - you don't know how much I appreciate how nice you all are.

Bob

• Like 2

Wow - this looks great, Bob and Pac Man Red. Definitely I'll be up for a cart when it's done too!

One teeny piece of feedback ... when playing with a euro joypad, I find the jumping is a lot harder than I would expect. I'm perpetually landing on rocks or not able to jump between the trees. Definitely looking forward to seeing if you can fine-tune the jumping a bit.

Keep it up!

I tried this with my Radica stick that Jay modded for me. I think it might actually be easier with a Proline stick due to button positioning since both buttons need to be used simultaneously. I'm not sure though because I don't have any Prolines around. Guess I'll have to try it with the modded NES pad I got from doubledown instead.

Was looking forward to trying this the other day but the anti-virus program on the computer I was on whisked away the emu7800 files on my USB stick like the bee's whisk away in Crystal Castles! :lol:

Is there a way to protect exe files on a USB stick from this. I'm pretty sure I read on these forums that A7800 was giving false positives on some AV products. However I don't like the idea of AV program doing that. I'd rather see the warning and take action myself.. :D

Is there a blog or something that explains some of the dev process? In particular I'd like to hear about the techniques used to make a scrolling engine on the 7800. From what I hear you Display a list to MARIA and she complicates things by splitting what's usually one-stop-shopping into regions.

Edited by theloon

Again, it's nice to see people making games for our beloved 7800. What's even better is that it's a sidescroller - something our console sorely lacks.

I wonder what history would have been like if they had developers and enthusiasts like us back around the time of 7800's (pending) release. But that's a whole other thread.

It's very impressive !! and covers the lack of scrolling and platforms games from original 7800's library.

I think It's a further step in your proyects. And pacman-red's graphics are cool. Has he done graphics for games from other systems?

Other point, with 144k, Can pcb carts made from 0, or It's necessary to sacrifice existings pcb's?

Again, very good work and thanks for sharing it.

PCBs are generally the least problem - modern production houses can bang these things out in bulk to order.

Cart shells tend to be where homebrew is left wanting, on many platforms it means cultivating common/unloved/faulty/whatever shells. But since there's like 70 billion 2600 shells out there, I doubt the 7800 scene has many problems there.

Thanks again, guys - I appreciate the feedback and the compliments. :) Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

@theloon: I don't have a blog at the moment, but I am using a standard Display List, but adjusting the horizontal position of each zone, then moving ahead the pointer when we've reached the end of a tile for each zone. I just do each zone at a different speed (if needed).

@keitaro/Rybags: Actually, in this case, both may be an issue. It's a little difficult to find fully populated 565 boards (I haven't been able to get it working on a 339 yet). Also, the 2600 cart shells (aside from the Red-Label versions) won't work for the 7800. I've tried modifying them, multiple times. :( So, being that O'Sheas decided to ruin whatever stock there were of 7800 cart shells by selling them for the gold instead of approaching the community first (which I asked him to do), we could get very low on both carts and boards very fast.

@Underball: Ok, after all of this time, I now have to ask: Is your avatar a picture of a piece of American Cheese on your cat? :)

Thanks, guys!

Bob