IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

I tried this last week and sorry I havent read all the comments. Almost all side scrollers ... marios and so on have the run button as being the left of the 2 buttons or b on a nes controller. I think the controls/buttons are the opposite and makes it really hard to play it on all 3 different controllers I used... nes pad, 7800 proline, and 7800 euro. My nes pad for instance the b button should be run fast, not a. ... the buttons are reversed is what im saying...its hard to move your thumb the opposite cause your thumb pulls off the buttons.So it makes it hard for me to play/test this game. Not trying to start anything as im trying to be constructive here.But is or can this be changed ? Just very odd to see a button layout like this. And the game looks awesome by the way as do all your games.

Count me in for a cart as usual, Bob. Looks great, obviously. I can't get my controller to work in emulation properly (ProSystem with stelladaptor...this happens in most emulation for me....arrgh....), but from the little first screen I played, I'm sure I will love it on cartridge. Plus, it's Bob. Forget about it. Buy it.

Thanks, guys. :)

@AtariBrian - You should read the posts ;) I am going to make a difficulty switch to swap the buttons or not.

@Trebor - Thanks for the screenshots! Although I can tell you are using the first version of the ROM by some of the placement of the enemies. ;)

@TrekMD - :lol:

Also, big breakthrough: I got the components to connect my KORG X5D keyboard to my PC via Serial Cable, and then a Serial Cable to USB converter... and it works! :D I can capture the data from the keyboard in HyperTerminal (I had to copy it from an XP machine as Windows 7 doesn't have HyperTerminal). :-/

So, all I need is to create a program that takes the MIDI data and converts it to Pokey AUDF values. (I'll do TIA another time).

Which reminds me: Does anyone know of an *accurate* "Pokey AUDF -> Note" table that I can refer to when creating my tables?

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 1

@Although I can tell you are using the first version of the ROM by some of the placement of the enemies.

Aw, crap...Forgot to update...

*Goes and updates*

Bob, with this second version I'm seeing a graphical glitch present throughout the game that was not there previously. It is probably a limitation of MESS and not sure if it can be fixed or worked around. I've attached a couple of captures:

post-18-0-07630900-1342224272_thumb.pngpost-18-0-58331800-1342224335_thumb.png

Notice the somewhat dashed line running horizontally along the very top left side of the playfield.

]I'd rather just play through the game at whatever skill level I want instead of being forced to try it on a harder level to see more of it. That sounds like the type of thing people rage about in modern games.

I agree that shortening the game based on the difficulty level is the improper way to implement varying skill levels. Adding more enemies and making things more challenging in general is the correct way to do so. Also, extended ending screens are great for those that manage to finish it on the hardest difficulty setting.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. :)

@AtariBrian - You should read the posts ;) I am going to make a difficulty switch to swap the buttons or not.

@Trebor - Thanks for the screenshots! Although I can tell you are using the first version of the ROM by some of the placement of the enemies. ;)

@TrekMD - :lol:

Also, big breakthrough: I got the components to connect my KORG X5D keyboard to my PC via Serial Cable, and then a Serial Cable to USB converter... and it works! :D I can capture the data from the keyboard in HyperTerminal (I had to copy it from an XP machine as Windows 7 doesn't have HyperTerminal). :-/

So, all I need is to create a program that takes the MIDI data and converts it to Pokey AUDF values. (I'll do TIA another time).

Which reminds me: Does anyone know of an *accurate* "Pokey AUDF -> Note" table that I can refer to when creating my tables?

Thanks,

Bob

will the buttons be able to be swapped before the game is done so i can play it and actually get somewhere and perhaps find any bugs or whatnot?

Fun...fun..fun...

post-18-0-30094000-1342226722_thumb.pngpost-18-0-67450700-1342226728_thumb.pngpost-18-0-20630700-1342226734_thumb.png

post-18-0-85689400-1342226745_thumb.pngpost-18-0-03818000-1342226763_thumb.png

Note to self: The little narrow hole/opening at the end of the next to last screenshot is not a 'warp'/'bonus' or anything of the sort...Contrary to your former beliefs and hopes...But is instant death...lol

Almost passed level 5...This version is much easier than the previous...Got this far on my fourth try with baby and wife distractions. First version, pure concentration and couldn't even get past round 2 on 3-4 tries.

Wish I had more time to play, maybe tomorrow.

Bob is the man! Game = Phenomenal - Can't wait to play it on the XM.

Edited by Trebor

@AtariBrian: I am concentrating on level creation at the moment - But I will add it as soon as I can.

@Trebor: That little black hole should not be there - I just looked at my current version and it isn't; I must have seen it and removed it (I don't remember at this point).

Also, there will be warp levels, and a 'secret' level to find. ;)

Also #2 - Figured out the data coming from my KORG keyboard. Data comes in 3 byte packets:

Byte #1: Event (i.e. Keypress is $90, Key release is $80, Instrument change - which I will ignore - is $C0)

Byte #2: Value of Key Hit

Byte #3: Velocity (i.e. volume)

So, I can use all of that to convert to Frequency, Volume, and Duration. :D

This is going to be cool.

@AtariBrian: I am concentrating on level creation at the moment - But I will add it as soon as I can.

@Trebor: That little black hole should not be there - I just looked at my current version and it isn't; I must have seen it and removed it (I don't remember at this point).

Also, there will be warp levels, and a 'secret' level to find. ;)

Also #2 - Figured out the data coming from my KORG keyboard. Data comes in 3 byte packets:

Byte #1: Event (i.e. Keypress is $90, Key release is $80, Instrument change - which I will ignore - is $C0)

Byte #2: Value of Key Hit

Byte #3: Velocity (i.e. volume)

So, I can use all of that to convert to Frequency, Volume, and Duration. :D

This is going to be cool.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All sorts of AWESOMENESS!!!

Hi Guys:

- Title screen implemented. 'Continue' lets you continue the last game but with a zero score. Top line scrolls through credits.

- Right difficulty switch alters the button function. Switching it reverses the 'B' and 'A' buttons.

- Re-worked zone color palettes. Originally was using one palette for all zones and changing colors each zone with a DLI. That was causing the color to change 1 and 1/2 scanlines too late. :( Now I'm alternating between two palettes and changing the *next* palettes' colors in the current DLI. No late color changes any more. :)

post-1787-0-85959900-1342319773_thumb.png

Still only three levels.

Bob

Bentley.A78

Bentley.BIN

BentleyP.A78

BentleyP.BIN

• Like 2

Great update, Bob! That line from the last verson is gone, and now the "opening" that occurs at the end of a round, looks a lot better. Before, it looked like a vertical and horizontal layer around the center was opening. Now it shows the center opening.

Cool!

Here's a slew of screenshots. Bob, I'm not sure what the system limits are and/or fault with MESS regarding some of graphical issue you may see in a few of these. Most stand-out-ish are the cliffs with different coloring/transparent, and the "brown stripe" at the end of some of the rounds (Shown at the end of Level 1 Rounds 3 and 4 - but not present in rounds 5 and 6) exit 'door'. The line through the witches face too stood out as an issue. Honestly, none of it looks bad by any means, and perhaps some of it is either intended or unavoidable. Level 2 Round 2 is a real tough one for me. I did not get a chance/have the time to play it through. By I probably continued more times in that portion of the game than all the previous rounds combined....LOL.

post-18-0-84078800-1342393875_thumb.pngpost-18-0-19338800-1342393955_thumb.pngpost-18-0-64546700-1342393978_thumb.png

post-18-0-94883200-1342393994_thumb.pngpost-18-0-94779600-1342394012_thumb.pngpost-18-0-88562900-1342394110_thumb.png

post-18-0-35662200-1342394349_thumb.pngpost-18-0-60112500-1342394365_thumb.pngpost-18-0-39694100-1342394381_thumb.png

post-18-0-19040900-1342394404_thumb.pngpost-18-0-91911500-1342394418_thumb.pngpost-18-0-69879400-1342394432_thumb.png

post-18-0-60672100-1342394464_thumb.pngpost-18-0-63551800-1342394479_thumb.pngpost-18-0-81557000-1342394499_thumb.png

post-18-0-87959300-1342394529_thumb.pngpost-18-0-58631000-1342394544_thumb.pngpost-18-0-20470400-1342394570_thumb.png

post-18-0-17167800-1342394597_thumb.pngpost-18-0-70484100-1342394614_thumb.pngpost-18-0-70202100-1342394632_thumb.png

For the record, these screenshots do not give half the amount of credit and justice to the amazement and greatness of this game. The enemies’ behavior you have to understand. Timing, when to fire, when to jump and avoid changes often; same enemy despite what may seem a similar pattern can change up depending on when they appear on the screen and/or what obstacle you or it has to overcome.

Even the jumping is changed up at times regarding timing of reaching a platform. I’m not just taking about spacing, but depth of field and how quickly or slowly Bentley is moving with or against it. The forth screenshot above with the green gem is an example of this – You don’t reach it or move across it like you would may of the other platforms in the game.

While the game is looking great overall, when you hit the higher rounds in level 1, man that scrolling is gold; the parallax scrolling is awesome and plays a pivotal role in understanding the timing on the “depth of field” platforms. It is REALLY COOL!

This game is overloaded with action and excitement...No sleeping or boring parts (Granted, I have to add "so far"), but really, you snooze, you lose. Love too when you die and start again, you have to reach for the gem. Sometimes there's little time to do so before the enemies attack, and also on occasion you need to plan what to do immediately before or after when a straight forward grabbing and attacking does not work...This game just keeps the excitement, reflexes, and thinking constantly going. Fantastic gameplay - Really fantastic with just the right amount of challenge...Except that damn Level 2 Round 2...LOL. Seriously love that I can't breeze through this title. When a game is (set) too easy it cheapens the experience and takes away from the overall value of the game. You have really struck quite an excellent balance with everything that I have seen so far, Bob. I can't say enough good things about it.

Edited by Trebor
  • Like 2

Thanks guys - That's really nice of you. :)

@Trebor - Thanks for the pics and the breakdown! I've fixed the 'Brown Stripe' at the end of some of the rounds, and the 'transparent ground' in level 1-8. The line in the Witch will take a little more time to figure out. :)

Time is getting close! I'm still in the middle of level 4, and I've got level 5 (the last level) and the 'secret' level to work on.

Also didn't get to work on the 'keyboard->Pokey Data interface' at all (after initially getting it to work). But I'm trying my best to get whatever I can done before the Expo.

Thanks again,

Bob