IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

I hope the game can be released on cart. It will be a must for every 7800 owner.

You made a next step making a scrolling game, and the result is very impressive.

- Visual signal for when the invincibility is wearing off (the hat blinks just before you lose it).

Yes, thanks, I got killed because it when playing last night XD A visual signal will be clearly better.

...I wonder if, as alternative, have you considered also a faithful transposition of the arcade version.

wegifmedium.gif

I like that a lot, especially the rear foot. That looks a lot more like walking and less like "shuffling."

I would be very satisfied if this sprite were used. However, I wonder if this might look better with the adjusted white eyes. I'll have to combine the two sprites later when I get home & find out. :)

• Like 1

...I wonder if, as alternative, have you considered also a faithful transposition of the arcade version.

wegifmedium.gif

I like that a lot, especially the rear foot. That looks a lot more like walking and less like "shuffling."

I would be very satisfied if this sprite were used. However, I wonder if this might look better with the adjusted white eyes. I'll have to combine the two sprites later when I get home & find out. :)

KevinMos3, really thank you for your opinion. :)

I drew this sprite to pursue a sole objective:

to approach the counterparty arcade in the best possible way.

This was my only aspiration.

Kevin, you probably be able to make more beautiful the sprite, and again,

I really love the excellent graphics created by Illya,

but a graphics closer to the arcade version does not necessarily mean also have a graphics "better" or "nicer",

it's just a choice.

Personally, after thirty years, I'd be happy to see Bentley back with their original appearance,

while the large white eyes seem more suitable for Bentley Junior (maybe a sequel? :) ),

but this is just my opinion.

However, only a suggestion.

KevinMos3 thanks again for your kind availability.

Bob, Illya,

we know that this amazing game is not only the fruit of yours great talents but is also the result of much hard work,

so it is extraordinary that you also find the time to devote to our reflections.

You are truly special people.

Sincerely

Marco

bentleymakeup.png

** makeup

wegifmedium.gif

KevinMos3, really thank you for your opinion. :)

I drew this sprite to pursue a sole objective:

to approach the counterparty arcade in the best possible way.

This was my only aspiration.

Kevin, you probably be able to make more beautiful the sprite, and again,

I really love the excellent graphics created by Illya,

but a graphics closer to the arcade version does not necessarily mean also have a graphics "better" or "nicer",

it's just a choice.

Personally, after thirty years, I'd be happy to see Bentley back with their original appearance,

while the large white eyes seem more suitable for Bentley Junior (maybe a sequel? :) ),

but this is just my opinion.

However, only a suggestion.

KevinMos3 thanks again for your kind availability.

Bob, Illya,

we know that this amazing game is not only the fruit of yours great talents but is also the result of much hard work,

so it is extraordinary that you also find the time to devote to our reflections.

You are truly special people.

Sincerely

Marco

Just to point out.

You don't have to put each sentence on a new line.

You also don't need to put words after commas on a new line,

like this.

It would be so much less awkward to read your posts,

if you separated your sentences and commas with a space, like this. :) You also don't need to sign the end of your posts with your name like you would a letter or email.

Sincerely,

Segataritensoftii ;)

Any plans in the future for a sequel to this game?

Like "Super Bently World" or even a race game like "bently carts"......

Just kidding, this is a sad attempt at trolling by me......I think....t then again, starting a whole new Bently Bear franchise might not be a bad idea.

Just like Mario is the face of Nintendo, Bently Bear can be the official face of ATARI....

Just think about it, Bently Bear T-shirts, Bently Bear action figures, Bently Bear bobble heads, Bently Bear cartoons, Bently Bear coffee mugs, BentlyBear toys for the kids.....the list goes on in on....

Think of all the profit.......In time, Bently Bear would have to change his name to "BIG BANK BENTLY".....

I could be your Bently Bear sales promoter...

Edited by Stun Runner 87

...Just like Mario is the face of Nintendo, Bently Bear can be the official face of ATARI....

That's actually exactly what I am trying to do here. If you saw the 'Wonderboy on the 7800' thread, Spiffyone (I gave him credit in the rolling credtis on the title screen) mentioned that Bentley could have been Atari's mascot like what you mentioned above. That was the partially the reason (along with me wanting to do a sidescroller) I even started this.

Regarding the sprites of Bentley, sorry guys - I really appreciate the work you did, but I'm working on starting the sounds at this point... I have no intention of changing the sprites any more after making the head stop moving. :( I think the 'white' in the eyes give him character :)

Thanks,

Bob

Don't forget Bently Bear cereal, Bently bear gummy bears, Bently Bear fast food resturants, etc etc etc etc...........................Maybe you guys should create a whole new Atari video game home console....The new system could come with a game like, "Bently Bear vs. Predator" or "Alien vs.

Bently Bear"............the ideas are limitless......

PIMP ME!!!! LOVE ME!!!! <3 <3 <3

(we'll talk about IRL costume appearances later... haha)

Seriously though, awesome, awesome work Bob! :-D :-D :-D Thanks for all you've done man, you're a one-man retro-gaming indie software company! :grin: :thumbsup:

Edited by Bentley Bear!

Thanks guys :)

Small update: Mike, who wrote EMU7800 has given me a hand by extracting out the Pokey & TIA emulator and allowing me to call it directly. Once I get it fully integrated with my app that reads the MIDI data from my KORG Keyboard I will be able to start making the tunes for Bentley...

Thanks a bunch, Mike! :)

Bob

P.S... Still not sure about the ending... :ponder:

• Like 1

Small update: Mike, who wrote EMU7800 has given me a hand by extracting out the Pokey & TIA emulator and allowing me to call it directly. Once I get it fully integrated with my app that reads the MIDI data from my KORG Keyboard I will be able to start making the tunes for Bentley...

Very cool...Thanks for the update.

Sort of - I play the keyboard live and the program captures the data. I can then press 'Write Output' and it will put the data in the text windows so I can copy and paste the data into the program. :) The 'add zero' and 'forward & reverse' options are for the different types of sound drivers that could be used (trying to make it versatile). e.g. My TIA sound driver has the sound data in the order it's read. SpiceWare, alternatively, has his TIA sound driver look up the sound data in *reverse* order, with a zero to mark the end of the sound.

BTW, I've already added more options to that screenshot (Voice / Noise, and I still have to add the different voices for TIA)

But, I already have the keyboard playing the emulated Pokey notes!

Believe me, even the time it's taking me to write this application, will still be less than the time it would have taken me to hand-write 6 different level themes, a death theme, an 'invincible' theme, and the other little various sounds that happen during the game. :)

Thanks!

Bob

• Like 5

:lol:

...actually, I'm starting to lean toward a conversion utility at this point, because of another issue; there is a delay between when the user hits the key, and the sound is played. This makes it next to impossible to get any timing down correctly.

What I mean by "conversion utility" is, create the MIDI file the 'standard' way (that is, with an editor) with some restrictions (4 channels, 1 note per channel), and run a program to convert that file to sound data.

I really need to get this part off my back because I need to get sounds for another project done as well, as well as Bentley.

Bob

Update:

Got 'around' my issues with my app and was able to create music with the keyboard, take the data converted by the app and paste it directly into Bentley and it worked!

Need to clean up a few things here and there with the app (most of all tempo), and I can start trying to make music finally.

...need to get myself a MIDI guitar :D

• Like 4