IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Wow. 1 "megabit" - time for someone to port Shining Force over!

I think it's "2 megabit" or "two mega power" by SMS marketing terms. ;-) There are actually a decent number of contemporary 128K (1 megabit games) but only two that went beyond that to 144K ... Alien Brigade and Crossbow (never understood that one ... must be the bitmap backgrounds).

Does this mean Bob will make the game 256K?

I think it's "2 megabit" or "two mega power" by SMS marketing terms. ;-) There are actually a decent number of contemporary 128K (1 megabit games) but only two that went beyond that to 144K ... Alien Brigade and Crossbow (never understood that one ... must be the bitmap backgrounds).

Aha! Of course you are correct. My little gray cells were incorrect there. 128k = 1megabit, meanin 128k*8 = 8megabits or 1 Megabyte. I remember getting confused by these back in the 16-bit days.

We are designing a new board that will allow games up to 256K I'm size. Should have prototypes soon, and then we can order a full production run.

..Al

Cool, will bare boards be available to purchase?

I'm pretty untechnical, and haven't followed a whole lot of this thread as I don't like to spoil homebrews before I play them, so excuse me if this is dumb or answered elsewhere. Is Bentley Bear still an XM game, and will it only be XM games that would likely need the 256K boards?

Edited by Atarifever

:)

Bentley Bear is still an XM game for the sound. The 256K boards are for the bank-switching. :) They can be used with or without the XM, depending on their application. (i.e. Bentley Bear wouldn't be able to use the RAM on the XM because I'm using that area - $4000-$7FFF - as ROM for the sprite graphics).

Bob

Bentley Bear is still an XM game for the sound.

This probably belongs more in the XM thread, but will BB be XM enhanced or XM required?

As is, will it work without sound (or without music) on a plain 7800...

Or will it require the XM to play at all?

(I assume there might be both types of games eventually, enhanced and required???)

Either way, incredible so far, and I can't wait to see how it sounds with the XM..

desiv

Hey desiv:

The game is XM required, in the sense that there will be no sound at all without it (although the game will still function, just without sound). The TIA sound I am using now is done - more of a placeholder than anything else. Now that I believe I am done with the games itself (unless someone finds something), I will be working on the music.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Hey desiv:

The game is XM required, in the sense that there will be no sound at all without it (although the game will still function, just without sound). The TIA sound I am using now is done - more of a placeholder than anything else. Now that I believe I am done with the games itself (unless someone finds something), I will be working on the music.

Hope this helps!

Bob

So you're telling me I can play it on regular 7800, just without music or sound FX? That's essentially true for almost all 7800 games. :)

Edited by Atarifever

We are designing a new board that will allow games up to 256K I'm size. Should have prototypes soon, and then we can order a full production run.

..Al

Finally, a proper-sized cart! :P Opens up a lot of possibilities, beyond just "skill" games ..., including proper ports of some of the larger games from the computers. YES! Port, port, port away!

Quick Update:

On the suggestion of KevinMos3, I'll be adding '1up' sprites in various places. Give you a guess what they do.

I'll be adding a few final sounds for the 'TIA' version that I've been posting (remember, no background music in this version). Then that's it - move over to Pokey / Yamaha. First thing will be the title tune. :)

Bob

• Like 3