IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

What about that? 144k carts.. which games are typically canniballed for that size? Do they make new boards similar to the ones for the vcs? Will Ballblazer be a rare one day?

I think only two carts in total used that format ... Commando and Crossbow. There are a lot more games in 48, 64K and 128K formats than this one.

I know AtariAge has made new 7800 boards (an all-new 256K was is in the works - don't know it's status) but not sure what formats they've done. My Failsafe cart looks like a modern board.

Edited by DracIsBack

I would buy the TIA version and not the other one. Too poor for an XM. That said, perhaps some kind of "special edition" could be released in the future. Higher price point to cover maybe a box would make that an amazing product. Is it a possibility to let someone else do the music and split proceeds (small amounts I know) on that version or let them do the work out of the goodness of their hearts maybe?

Also, from a personal 7800 fan perspective, I'd prefer the TIA version, as it would be better at saying "STFU NES fans; it could do this all along!

Also, from a personal 7800 fan perspective, I'd prefer the TIA version, as it would be better at saying "STFU NES fans; it could do this all along!

The NES would only have a fraction of their game library/many games would not be as good if it weren't for the additional hardware placed inside the cartridges.

The XM is the smarter approach...Instead of adding hardware to each game cartridge, it is added once in a hardware expansion to the console. It is a huge savings in time, money and labor.

POKEY is present in Ballblazer and Commando and is as much a stock 7800 title as any TIA only game.

If Bentley (with POKEY music) was a release in the late 80's/early 90's and Atari followed Nintendo's method(s), they would have just built another cartridge type (Think "mappers" as the different NES cart types referred to in emulation) and made it run on the stock hardware.

Hi Guys

Why planing games for the XM?No one got it till now.Even most programmers do not have one :( Who knows,when it will be released?

Bentley is really,really great.Big music was never important for me.First comes the game itself......And Bentley rocks..... :)

greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172
  • Like 1

Hey Bob. I think people are excited for this release, and rightfully so, as am I. However, it seems that from the beginning that you intended on this being an XM release, and we've all waited so long for that, why not wait until you complete your original concept. I definitely feel for the people who want a normal 7800 release of this game, but I want to see it at its full potential. I will always buy your products, but love to think that you would complete the music the way YOU wanted it, and the way YOUR original thoughts were meant to be played out. However, you might make more money (I know it's not for money....) if you did a normal 7800 release as well. I for one, don't really care for emulation much, I like the real hardware, so I've only played this game briefly in the early stages, I want to be blown away when the cartridge hits the mailbox. This is a tough question, but my vote would be to TOTALLY complete the game, music and all, for the XM, before it's released. But I'll buy whatever you put out whenever regardless, so my vote probably doesn't mean much.

And you are the fucking man.

Thursday83

I think is great as is, background music would be great but not essential. So I'm with a release like:

- 7800 , TIA version

And who knows, in the future If you have solved a way to add midi music, and have enough desire to work again in this game, then launch an enchanced Pokey version:

- 7800 / XM Pokey version

I don't see the problem :), give the option to get the 7800 game with TIA sounds now for those are interested, and who knows, give the option to get an XM version with pokey music in the future.

And, like said before, and "special edition" released later would be great! Imagine something like (for example) Bentley Bear: The lost level? A XM (or 7800 Pokey) enchanced version adding not only background music, also adding for example HSC support and a hidden new level and enemies.

Background music would be suficient for me to buy again this game, but with a few little extra features more It would became essential!

Edited by keitaro
  • Like 1

Hi Bob, just wanted to say that I hVe no doubt that bentlybear wil be excellent regardless of the background music as all your games are great.

Purhaps you should just release the regualar 7800 version cart first........then you can go back and release the xm version later.......Anyway, I'm sure I will purchase both......I can't wait........thanks for all you do for 7800 gamers.........PEACE

• Like 1

Lots of interesting responses on this one. I'm about to repeat myself to a certain extent so bear with me! Like most people here I'm so excited about this project that if a 7800 TIA version is released, I'll be down to pre-order immediately and if a XM Pokey version comes out I'll be gladly double-dipping and getting that one too!

When I first read about the XM I was really excited about it and still am. For me, though, I like to weigh the software that's coming out for a piece of hardware before I commit to it. And there seem to be many interesting XM projects planned. This game was the killer app for me and the amazing progress you've made on it prompted me to pre-order my own XM. I mention this not to seem petty or guilt-trippy but moreso to let you know how exciting the work you're doing is! And how if you do decide to release a 7800 TIA version I'll buy it and enjoy it. I will still hold out hope for the XM version though!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok.

After purchasing some hardware, and writing some programs, I am raising the white flag on going from instrument->Pokey data. Being that I am unable to figure out how to use RMT (or whatever the acronym is), I am looking for someone to take on creating the music for this game.

Ideally, I'd like to use the Pokey. These are the individual tunes that are needed:

- Title Screen

- Level 1 (Forest)

- Level 2 (Sky)

- Level 3 (Mountains - inside and out)

- Level 4 (Castle - top level)

- Level 5 (Castle - deep inside)

- Level 6 (Hidden level, multiple environments)

- Boss Fight

- Kill Boss

- End Game

Anyone willing to take on this project, please PM me. Of course, you will get a mention in the manual, a free cart, and part of whatever proceeds come in from the sale of the carts (the same way PAC-MAN-RED is getting for doing the graphics). Being a musician who had an independant album out, you can imagine that I've exhausted every idea I've had and how much it bothers me to do this.

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 3

Being a musician who had an independant album out, you can imagine that I've exhausted every idea I've had and how much it bothers me to do this.

My own workflow for the 2600 is to compose in Rosegarden with simple midi instrumentation, output each voice+section as a csound score file, and convert that to asm data with a small C program. Would something like that work better for you?

I usually wind up iterating a bit to transpose the music until I avoid TIA's sour notes, but you shouldn't need to do that with pokey. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward process.