IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Albert is working on having manufactured new 256KB boards. This game requires a 144KB POKEY board which doesn't exist. We have 144KB boards and obviously POKEY boards, but not the combination together. It's the same reason it does not work on a CCII properly, the layout/design configuration is a first for the system.

The 256KB boards will not have a POKEY, but the coding for this game works similar to Beef Drop Value Edition; if the chip is present via XBOARD/XM than POKEY will be heard. However, there is no TIA option. So no XBOARD/XM, then the game is silent.

Hi Guys:

Thank you , as always. :)

Yep, that's about it - although the 339 and 565 will take a 128K + another 16K Eprom, to make the 144K (which would normally be ok for the XM/XBoard for sound). The only problem there, is that I found out the hard way that these boards are *VERY* finicky about chip speeds, and It's too difficult to not only find 27c010 & 27128 eproms that are the same speed, but the speed (I believe it's 200ns) that the board 'likes'. I don't even want to go down that road. :(

I hope these new boards will work well...

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Guys:

Thank you , as always. :)

Yep, that's about it - although the 339 and 565 will take a 128K + another 16K Eprom, to make the 144K (which would normally be ok for the XM/XBoard for sound). The only problem there, is that I found out the hard way that these boards are *VERY* finicky about chip speeds, and It's too difficult to not only find 27c010 & 27128 eproms that are the same speed, but the speed (I believe it's 200ns) that the board 'likes'. I don't even want to go down that road. :(

I hope these new boards will work well...

Bob

This is confusing.

Are you saying you have an idea for making a cart board, but it is problematic? And you are hoping new cart boards (AtariAge) will work well? Or that the new problematic boards will work well? Or the XM board?

No no - the 565 and 339 boards exist already; they are the ones found in Jinks, and some others (can't think of which ones off the top of my head at the moment). Those are the ones I was having issues with.

'These new boards' that I was referring to are boards that a user here is making for AA.

I hope that helps. :)

I can't speak for Bob but what I think he's saying is he's already working overtime on everything else, so why worry about "the board" and the "EPROM(s)" which may or may not work. Of course he doesn't want "to go there." The board WILL work, so not to worry. According to my calculations, any memory device with an access time of 198 nanoseconds or less will work.

From earlier postings, compliments of Dan Boris and Bruce Tomlin, we have these:

For those who need to know, the 339 board is this:

C100339 32KROM 16KROMƒpRAM.pdf

For those who need to know, the 565 board is this:

C300565 128KROM 16KRAM.pdf

The board that *might* work is this:

C301105 128KROM 512KROM POKEY.pdf

Other variations might include this, except adding a pokey:

post-34769-0-66998000-1378761857_thumb.jpg

Times have changed and the programmable GAL device that was once used is longer available in production quantities. It will be interesting to see what AAA.com (Albert's AtariAge) brews this time around. The pokey is a 40-pin device that only 19 pins are used. Bob's favorite "it's not efficient" would be apropos here. Do we have a schematic of the pokey? I once saw something that looked like it was sketched on a napkin. It would be interesting to cram everything into one chip, no fuss no muss. And a single 27c020 would fit everything as well, but will the bank-selecting work this way? I'd have to look at that.

Looking fwd to the release of Bentley for the game, but also for the board...

///blueman///

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome picture. Thanks for posting it Al. Not the largest CRT screen, but those C1702 makes the 7800 (And any other console connected to it) shine. It is my primary classic gaming display.

Cannot wait to have Bentley Bear on cart! :grin:

Yeah, the 1702s are great! I will have over 20 of them setup at the booth, 17 of which I brought myself! I have another six or seven that have problems of some sort that I need to try and repair (some need cap kits, others have bad solder joints on connectors, at least one or tow have noisy pots for the controls on front, one I thin the tube is cracked..)

..AL

• Like 1

So wish I could be at PRGE. :(

@ BLUE

I using the C300565 board for DK XM with two 70ns 64k ROM's. The only mod I made was to cut the r/w trace that goes the the A14 pin of my fixed ROM and wired it to 5V. I'm only using 16K of the available space on that chip. So far it's been working very reliably.

Would you look at that.

Perry and Bob, you gents have to be like proud parents with this. Fantastic.

And Curt, again, thank you for your persistence and efforts on the XM. It's amazing to think that this old machine that I played with as a youngish lad could see the renaissance that we're looking at now, in the 21st century.

We stand on the edge of all the great things we could have had all those years ago. It's great to be a 7800 holdout! :-)

Thank you, kind sir - I'm just glad to finally have the game finished. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long.

PAC-MAN-RED and Synthpopalooza do excellent work on Graphics and music, respectfully... and you've already seen the excellent work Perry does with music and his atention to detail, both with the XM versions of Pac-Man Collection and Donkey Kong.

They are going to make the XM shine. :)

Bob

• Like 2

Atari has its mascot.

Nintendo has Mario.
Sega has Sonic.
Atari now has Bentley.

Just think if this was a flagship title with the 7800....oh, the possibilities...

Just ecstatic that this has come to life; several hands helped, Bob you made it all come together and a reality. THANK YOU!

• Like 1