IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

No, but the price will go up as POKEYs are now more expensive versus the batch of POKEYs I used for the carts I've already made and shipped.

..Al

So surprising to me. I realize the POKEY is a custom chip and all. But Atari used it is SOOO many of their arcade games, plus all the million variants of the 8-bit line of computers it just shocks me they are so scarce to find and getting as pricey as they are. Namco arcade games from bitd used TONS of custom ICs that haven't been cloned and yet there still seem to be plenty of them to be had when needed for half the price of POKEY chips. Can't tell me there are honestly that many more Galaga, Bosconian, Ms. Pacs, Galaxians running around out there vs 5200 and the entire 8-bit Atari computer line? I realize they are different beasts between each other, but just stating it amazes me how difficult and costly 1 custom chip is in acquiring vs. the half dozen+ on any of those above mentioned arcade cab PCBs.

Just got this in the mail today. Gotta say, I am super impressed. The controls are Mario smooth, and the levels and enemies are varied and challenging. I made it to world 3 and there is a lot of variety between the worlds. Really enjoying it, wasn't planning on playing it for 2 hours this evening but that's what happened. The music is excellent as well.

Shame the old 7800 didn't get more games of this caliber. Bentley's Quest proves once and for all it was certainly capable of them!

• Like 3

I got my copy in the mail the other day and finally played it last night. Even though I am awful at platformers this game is awesome. And I really appreciate the continue function, otherwise I don't know if I would ever make it out of the first few levels. I just wish the RF output on my 7800 wasn't so bad b/c the game otherwise looks really good.

Edited by DesertJets
  • Like 2

Hey Guys

Thank you so much for all of the kind words... I very much appreciate them.

Also this game would look and sound NOWHERE as good as it does without the amazing talent of PAC-MAN-RED and Synthpopalooza (respectively). :D

They are AMAZING.

• Like 9

I'm very glad to have an actual release in my hands! Now I can see what changes there are from the wip version I was playing with before and free up that slot on my Mateos cart for another wip game. And I so like the packaging on Scramble! It really stands out in the line up and in a good way at that!

• Like 1

Received Bentley Bear,Time Salvo, Anguna, along with Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe :-o

These games are so damn well made. Their control are spot on,the graphics have such a great charm and the replay factor is definitely there in all of them.

Truly feels like its the early 80's again with so many great gems.

Bentley Bear and Sydney Hunter both being platformers are so freaking fun to play,going to be putting in the hours for both tonight.

Going back and forth between them,both playing very differently in their level designs,great diversity inbetween the two !

Can't believe Sydney Hunter is just a straight vanilla type Colecovision game without needing the SGM here. Well done. Though I'm happy we have the SGM also because there's so much love for that device also.

Just wanna say thanks to the home brew community for these great games these past few weeks. And big thanks to albert for keeping this boat sailing smoothly here,we have allot to be thankful for :thumbsup:

• Like 3

So Hancock (swlovinist) and I sat down with some drinks this afternoon and played through and beat Crystal Quest. At the end (which I might add will take you awhile to get to as this is not a short game), we both agreed that Crystal Quest is not just a good 7800 platformer, it's good enough to stand equal to the early NES classics of the era like the original Super Mario Bros, Adventure Island, or even something like Kickmaster. There is a lot more depth and clever level design the further you go in (and that is without touching the secret world which we did not do, though I have strong guess where the entrance is). We were both particularly struck with the extremely clever use of the different enemy designs and the varied level design.

Make sure you play all the way through if you managed to score a copy of this. It's so fun I will most likely play through it many times. Very impressed.

• Like 4